Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Depth Buffer generally poorer in WSA?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by jotapeh_, Oct 13, 2015.

1. jotapeh_

jotapeh_

Not sure if this is something related specifically to how the projects I'm working with are set up, but I seem to consistently have issues with Z sorting that I never have on other platforms. Lots of flickering issues, or objects simply rendering on top of each other.

It has gotten worse with the move to Windows 10 it seems, and whereas Z separations of 0.01 were sufficient before on 8.1, now sometimes these objects simply render as though the one behind were in front.

My understanding was that limiting the clipping planes of the camera would help - but even with a fairly short frustum (1 near, 50 far) I am having these issues with rendering that do not occur on other platforms... is there anything new/special about Win 10 that I should know, limitations in the Unity editor for this platform maybe? Is there a good rule of thumb for working around this?

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hi,

that sounds strange. Is this happening on a desktop device? Does it run correctly in the editor and only manifests on "Windows Store" application?

3. jotapeh_

jotapeh_

Hi,

Yeah, it is quite strange. It usually runs correctly in the editor and the issue is inconsistent across different devices. RT devices are usually the worst.

Unfortunately I don't have a small repro project (yet), and I just ran into this bug again for Windows 10 that you helped me with a while back: http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?626884_jbfkuirj55bgtblp

So now I have to get to filing a report for that one :)

MrEsquire likes this.