Search Unity

Deprecation of support for the .Net Scripting backend used by the Universal Windows Platform

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Tautvydas-Zilys, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Great! I'll see if I can add the log message to always output the port it chooses. I'm not sure what to do about the multicast issue, though.

2. paulmelis

paulmelis

I guess this didn't make it in 2018.2.13f1 already? ;-)

3. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

No, usually it takes around 3 weeks after making a change for it to get propagated to old supported releases, and I haven't even made the change yet.

4. paulmelis

paulmelis

Just wanted to ping this, as I'm still running into this and having the debugger ip and port in the output really makes things easier. With 2018.2.18f1 it seems I still need to manually patch the IL2CPP source, or is there a better solution available?

5. paulmelis

paulmelis

Hmmm, in fact, I can't seem to attach the managed debugger manually anymore. Should the steps shown above still be the same?

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yeah, they should. Did your network configuration change?

7. tamasdeme360

tamasdeme360

What's the planned version for the .net deprecation? In many of our HoloLens UWP projects we're trying to use SignalR or WebRTC, and IL2CPP is breaking both of them, either with just silently failing or object marshaling issues.

For a WebRTC sample try https://github.com/flufy3d/webrtc-uwp-sdk/tree/WebRtcUnity/common/windows/samples/PeerCCUnity - works with .net backend but fails with IL2CPP.
    With SignalR just try any new asp.net core signalr sample - while calling to the server works, server->client calls fail.

8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

.NET is removed in 2019.1.

Can we have bug reports for those issues?

9. gbewersresrchnet

gbewersresrchnet

We are also still having issues enabling debugging, just updated to 2018.3.3f1 and performing the same steps as above, with VS Unity Tools 3.9.03 and Visual Studio 15.9.6. We are able to find the instance of HoloLens to attach to after it has deployed but cannot connect to it, the cursor spins for a second and then does nothing as others like charlie and shaddad described.

This is rather unfortunate since the latest Vuforia assets which we are using seem to only work with IL2CPP as the backend, on top of the build iteration times and additional steps compared to before. According to Vuforia this is a regression that will be fixed, but until we solve this issue developing using the IL2CPP backend without breakpoints in addition to the extra hassle is obviously unreasonable. I'm sure this is likely on our end, but am looking for what could potentially be the cause. Should we update to 18.3.4?

10. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you confirm internet server capability is enabled on the device? Are there any peculiarities with your wifi network setup that wouldn't allow TCP connections to reach HoloLens device from your dev machine?

11. gbewersresrchnet

gbewersresrchnet

Thank you, our issue was from a fresh project with capabilities enabled in Unity but not in the generated VS project manifest. Although we will probably use .NET backend when we are able to again for build iteration's sake, this helps for our current development while the regressions are fixed.

12. tamasdeme360

tamasdeme360

I submitted a report for the webrtc issue, there's a link within that contains a repo with everything needed to set it up. (sadly it's not trivial) case 1126463.

I'll try to submit the SignalR issue as well but I need some time to make a demo project for that.

13. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

14. rubenmueller

rubenmueller

I found a great example implementation for communication between the Unity part and the native UWP code for the .NET scripting backend under https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/windowsstoreappssamples.
    I tried to refactor the code to a cpp-UWP app so i can use this communication for a il2cpp build of my Unity application (the example is based on .NET and therefore a c#-UWP app).
    I could do most of the coding, but the most interesting part, accessing GameObjects and their components, i could not find any API documentation.
    For example in the MainPage.xaml.cs the methods of the Communications class:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public static void SetCubeMaterialColor(byte r, byte g, byte b)
    2.         {
    3.             UnityEngine.GameObject go = UnityEngine.GameObject.Find("Cube");
    4.             UnityEngine.Material mat = go.GetComponent<XAMLConnection>().material;
    5.             mat.color = new UnityEngine.Color32(r, g, b, 255);
    6.         }
    Is there some documentation i could not find?
    Or can someone point me to the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

15. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies