Search Unity

[DEPRECATED] The Platform-Vania Engine - Physics and Raycast Based 2D Action Platforming

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nosajtevol, Jan 26, 2018.

1. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

It's ok, and being a big update, if you launch a beta testing, count me in (=.

So, if i have let's say a piranha plant from Mario, this kind of enemies spit fire, so their weapon is their mouth, they don't have a phisical weapon like a machine gun xD, in this case, will it work the same as you mentioned =O ?

nosajtevol likes this.
  2. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Btw, this is the bug that i was talking about, as you can see the player sometimes get stuck to the floor and then it can walk normally without problems on the same floor, and if there's an inclination in the walls the player can walk n them and then it acts weird x) (is there a way by tags or so to define where the player can walk ? and which walls it can wall jump/slide ?)

slope.gif

3. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Hm that is weird. Mind sending me the project package so I can play around with it and figure it out?

Also as far as beta testing goes, I'd be happy to have you help test it! I'll let you know when itsi ready for that. Thanks!

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  4. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

And yes, however if it's an enemy then you can attach a PVGroundedCharacter script and define it's shooting behavior in that component, or a PVTurret script. Again, there's lots of features I simply haven't made tutorials for, but I desperately need to.

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  5. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

I changed the box collider for a capsule collider and it's working fine, just noticed that if the player goes up to a hill it walks super slow, like if it's getting tired x), is that normal =O ?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  6. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

I will use it for the player and enemies aswell, and indeed, i was prototyping for a lot of time and doing some art, which is a long process and i don't even finish u.u, so i had no time to test in deep PVE, plus i was relatively new with unity, i didn't even know what a prefab was, but well, we don't know anything at the beggining right ? the point is, now that i have more knowledge of Unity and the interface, i'm noticing that PVE is really complete, it has a lot of hidden features as you say, i like for example that enemies can switch from shooting to melees or combos and the wrapping enemies. you really made a great engine, you should be proud of yourself ;D. You really should create documentation, or at least a list of all the features in the current version but ALL of them, and in 2.0 you can do the same, the point is to separate versions, and it will work for you too, to see what is already in PVE and what it has to offer now (=

nosajtevol likes this.
  7. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Thanks so much! Yea I realize there's a lot, but unfortunately a lot of them are inaccessible simply because I expanded too quickly. I think I may do that relaunch at the end of the year for version 2.0, but I will actually be doing updates up until then so that I can ease into it. Also I'm noticing more little idiosyncrasies that I want to get ironed out.

Also, I've finally managed to hire a pixel artist to make me a whole unique pixel-based demo! I'm super excited!

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  8. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Great news, that will be awesome, congrats =D

9. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Making progress on that new demo! caver_tileset_demo.png

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  10. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Looking good, congrats (=

nosajtevol likes this.
  11. WithoutTheCrabs

WithoutTheCrabs

Awesome Asset!

I'm trying to follow your tutorial videos but whenever I play the scene after adding PVGameManager the demo level opens up instead of the scene I created.

Feel like I am missing something silly here haha.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

nosajtevol likes this.
  12. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

This is something silly I didn't think about, but it's because of the checkpoint system. If you go to the game manager and switch off using checkpoints, your scene should open fine. Alternatively you can go to the Platform-Vania menu bar at the top and click reset checkpoints. I think that should fix it.

Basically all that's happening is it's loading the last saved checkpoint, which happens to be the demo level for you. But yeah, in the editor that probably shouldn't happen.

I just changed in the latest version to make this not happen in the editor and instead play the scene you're in on play start no matter what. For now please use the above fix. Thanks so much for purchasing the asset! Let me know if you need anything else.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  13. WithoutTheCrabs

WithoutTheCrabs

Thank you very much!

14. mattc0123

mattc0123

I'm having some trouble setting up my character correctly.

It seems that when "Player" is checked in the PVCharacterControl, my Jump script isn't functioning. I can move horizontal, but no Jump.

However, when "Player" is disabled, I can suddenly use X to make the character jump, but I lose all other horizontal movement. Other abilities like Dodge seem to be working fine; I'm only having trouble with Jump.

Any ideas?

nosajtevol likes this.
  15. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

The jump script has a lot going on to give the designer max control over the character. The first thing that comes to mind though is you probably need to up the max vertical movement within the PVHorizontalMovement script. This is probably something I should change to make it a bit more user friendly.

But yeah, for now I'd go into play mode and just tweak around with that setting as well as your jump script, then when you're satisfied with the jump copy the script, go back into edit mode and paste the settings for the script as well as input the setting you had for the PVHorizontalMovement.

16. mattc0123

mattc0123

Wow, you're good! It was the max Y value in the PVHorizontalMovement script that was set at 0.
    Thanks so much, that certainly did the trick.
    Awesome engine and thanks for the support!

nosajtevol likes this.
  17. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Let me know if you need anything else! Good luck on the project!

18. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Just letting everyone know that I'll be releasing some new updates over the course of this month including some new demos!

Rybo5000, DrOcto and CHEMAX3X like this.
  19. Rybo5000

Rybo5000

(I'm basing this feedback on the demo, I haven't downloaded the latest version yet so you may have already addressed this)

The grapple needs some work I think, it's very awkward being able to float upward and then have your grapple rope tie itself into a knot.

I think the player needs to be forced to stay X away from the grapple point where X is the length of the rope to give it a more predictable curve as you swing.

nosajtevol likes this.
  20. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Good idea! I'll add to my list to look more into rope physics and delve deeper into making it feel less awkward. Thanks for the opinion!

DrOcto and Rybo5000 like this.
  21. Rybo5000

Rybo5000

Thank you for your constant devotion to this asset, I bought it when it first came out and it's been great watching it improve.

nosajtevol and DrOcto like this.
  22. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Really glad to hear this :) Sorry it's been so slow but, you know, life and stuff. Hope I can get some updates in a timely enough fashion. Shooting for Christmas to have a nice version 2 out. So stay tuned!

23. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Hey =D, ummh, any news about the update =) ?

nosajtevol likes this.
  24. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Still working! Sorry, progress is slow because I have like two other jobs. But yeah, working on an experience point system right now and a pick up and throw ability which should be out within a week! After that should be coming out with a BIG update end of November.

25. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Quick update on things, guys: https://www.instagram.com/p/BpXqJwVlUVA/?taken-by=jasonario

Basically still using this engine in conjunction with my game Space Bandits, but kind of doing a reboot. Using it as motivation to clean everything in the engine up and make a polished version right now, as well as add a slew of new features I'm working on within this month that will be used in my personal game.

26. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Hey guys, so still working on the update! I've decided to release the entire update all at once at the end of November instead of doing bits and pieces till then. It'll just be a lot cleaner that way as I'm adding new tutorials and workflow improvements as well. I apologize if it seems like I'm baiting you guys with more updates. That's not the intention. It just turned out to be a lot more work than I anticipated since I've been overloaded with other contracts and work and I don't want to release it if it doesn't make sense all in all.

But! What you can expect is a bunch of new tutorials (replacing the old), a few new features, overall cleaner engine and new demo to replace the old one. Overall just a much more polished engine so you guys can get creating!

EDIT:

- Just uploaded a small update with some fixes as well a very basic levelling system. Just something to show that things are indeed still being worked on. Should be live within the next few days.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Shturmovik likes this.
  27. ZayLong

ZayLong

Sooo the engine is deprecated now? Whats going on?

28. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

I can no longer support the Platform-Vania Engine. I realize that the Corgi Engine and Rex Engine perform much better than my asset and the cost of maintaining it/ updating it is higher than the profit that I'm making for it. I apologize for any inconvenience and if you have a current project using the PV Engine, I'll gladly continue to support.

I just realized that my beliefs have changed regarding using assets. I now believe it's better to keep code lean on each project and that it's better to learn to code ourselves and make our own code that specifically suits our projects. It's better to getting projects done. The PV Engine's performance wasn't good enough and there were many things I would have changed about it had I done it over. Ironically I would make it more like the Corgi Engine's coding, but since that already exists, I recommend now that people just go and download that if they're a beginner looking to make their game. However if you have a more involved project with more features, I recommend that people just learn to code and build the project from scratch.

Thank you guys for the support and for using the Platform-Vania Engine. I wish you all the best of luck in future endeavors.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    midian808 likes this.
  29. ZayLong

ZayLong

I get it but theres definitely a limit. Even companies like Google use frameworks to develop software. They dont do everything from scratch. assets, frameworks, libraries. They're all just tools and we as developers have to figure out of they're the right tool for the job we're working on. Good luck with the game you're making.

30. imgumby

imgumby

Sheesh...1 week between promising big updates to deprecating the asset before it's even polished.I was looking forward to all the new and improved mechanics and promised performance improvements..On behalf of all of us that bought your asset based on promised functionalities etc....you're welcome for the cash...at least in my case it was only $9 USD...don't expect any return business however.
    good luck

Rybo5000 likes this.
  31. Rybo5000

Rybo5000

You could have at least left the Youtube videos up as a reference for us who bought it.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  32. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

well, you have deleted all the tutorials that were on youtube. Anyways how to contact you now?

unityunity