Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[DEPRECATED] The Platform-Vania Engine - Physics and Raycast Based 2D Action Platforming

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nosajtevol, Jan 26, 2018.

1. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

New tutorial on Health Bars: A little delay in the new features so wanted to upload at least something:

Gamingbir and CHEMAX3X like this.
  2. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Thanks for sharing this, really helpful =D

3. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Oops sorry for the late reply, i didn't notice it before lol, i see, i won't use anima2D but i installed it for the demos, so i will just ignore those erros then x).

OHH ok, so i will add the PVDamageArea then, i don't want my player to pass through them.

Thanks a lot =D

nosajtevol likes this.
  4. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

No problem! Good luck!

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  5. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Hey dudes! Again with another tutorial! (Going to be on a tutorial catch-up bender for the next week or so). This one's on using cine-machine as the camera solution! Hope it helps!

DrOcto, kevin_Leo and CHEMAX3X like this.
  6. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Thanks for sharing <3 ='D

nosajtevol likes this.
  7. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

My pleasure! I'll be adding some more tutorials hopefully daily within the next week, so stay tuned! Also, if you have any tutorial requests that are priority, let me know!

DrOcto and CHEMAX3X like this.
  8. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

That's awesome, i'll be pending, and sure thingy, maybe a more in deep tuto for how to set a new player from scratch with animations, cuz it's still confusing, and it could be for some new people here, i guess =O

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    DrOcto likes this.
  9. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Do you have a way in Cinemachine to do something like in Procamera2D :

http://www.procamera2d.com/user-guide/trigger-boundaries/

For example if you are at the edge of a platform to move the camera to show what's above or below, like in some games =O

nosajtevol likes this.
  10. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

I'm not exactly sure, but most likely. That said if you want to keep using ProCamera 2D it still is an epic and rubust solution that's still compatible with the PV Engine, so there's no reason why not :)

Sounds good, I'll do that!

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  11. witcher101

witcher101

Does this work with 2.5d game??

12. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Yep! :)

DrOcto likes this.
  13. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

Hey, nice updates. Waiting for that udemy course :D. Btw take a look at Godot engine too. Maybe you can make and sell some assets for that engine too or contribute to it. Nice open source engine.

DrOcto likes this.
  14. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Godot is awesome but I think I'll stick with the Platform-Vania Engine on Unity for a while :) Still so much work to do before I move on to something else. Udemy course won't be happening for a while I've decided. I kind of want to get PV Engine to a point where it's solid and really intuitive to make a very wide range of metroidvania types before doing that. But it'll happen!

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  15. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Hey guys! So new update is coming in the next couple of days! This one will have upgradeable health bars in the vain of Heart Containers from Zelda, or the Energy tanks in Metroid.

Heart Container.png

Also I added another script that you can attach to any game object that will allow it perma-death, or in other words, when it's gone, it stays gone forever, no matter if you leave the scene and come back. This is useful for objects like this heart container where you don't want the player just reloading the scene a bunch of times and constantly getting more heart containers! It will also be useful for games where you may want the enemies to stay dead.

I'll be expanding the same code later on to allow for more persistent variables. Stay tuned for the tutorial on upgradeable health as well in the next couple of days!

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  16. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Wow great news, it will be really really helpful, and that perma-death script too (bosses yay !!!)

Thanks for the effort you are putting to make the PVE much better =D

nosajtevol likes this.
  17. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Thanks for sticking with it! I know it's been slow going the past few months but I do plan on keeping it going and making it better and better.

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  18. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

It will be really really good if you can create a minimal scene, just floor ceiling and the player with all the needed things to make it work, that we can use as a template to build levels, maybe a "create new scene" button, or just open the scene to duplicate it.

Its something kinda mandatory or a most have for the PVE, i think

nosajtevol likes this.
  19. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Sounds good, will add this.

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  20. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Also @kevin_Leo, should have that Spine animation method solution within this week as well. At the top of my list of priorities.

kevin_Leo likes this.
  21. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Awesome =D

22. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Hey, just wondering, is there a way to modify the projectile trajectory ?
    For example an enemy throwing things to the player, with an arc ( going up and then falling down ) or a flying enemy spitting down to the player, and so on

23. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

No probs, honestly i have other engines, but putting all in a balance, yours have more metroidvania stuff to offer

24. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Yup! What you can do is attach a rigidbody 2d to the bullet and set the mass and gravity scale for it. That way you can throw it just like any other physics object in unity.

Of course! And no pressure to use this one! However I do definitely plan to make this just more and more metroidvania focused, hence the name. But still there's like 100 things I want to do with it, since Metroidvanias are relatively sophisticated platformers. So hopefully in time it'll become just more and more the go-to solution for these types of games.

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  25. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Awesome ill try that then, thanks =D

Sounds good, keep it up the great work =D

26. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

New tutorial on upgradeable health bars! Update should be going live within the next couple of days for you guys to use this. Thanks and hope it helps!

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  27. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Hey thanks for the update, i have 2 questions xD :

If i backup the reversed animation controller and use it in this update, will it work ? cuz you removed them and i need them x)

And second, how can i add one heart like in the tuto but programmatically ? For example i want to add game objects to the scene and use a script to count them, when i will have 3 or 4, in that case to add the extra container.

Ohh i noticed the minimal scene, thanks for that ='D

28. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

If the reversed animation controller is indeed being used i'll put it back in. I don't think it'll work for the time being but I found myself forgetting to update it, which was a problem. I'll restore it by the next update in a few days. Do you mind waiting just a few days? Sorry about that :oops:

And sure! I can also add something like this into the game by the next update as it's very simple. Simply have a game object with a box collider 2d trigger component attached and a script that adds it to an int on the PVGameManager or something and have it add 1 to the int every time you pick up one of the quarter-hearts. Then when you collect 4, it resets to 0 and increases the player's max hp by 10. Voila.

I'll make this script for you however if you don't mind waiting a few days for the next update as well.

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  29. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

It's ok, i can wait, no problem at all, thanks again for the attention ='D

30. kevin_Leo

kevin_Leo

Cool - glad to hear it. :) I'll look forward to that. Thanks.

nosajtevol likes this.
  31. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

@CHEMAX3X Just letting you know I just submitted the new version including a fix for the Don't Respawn Script and the ability to collect pieces of the Heart Upgrade! (Like heart pieces via Zelda). Will make a tutorial very soon on how to implement it!

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  32. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

That's awesome, can't wait <3, thanks a lot for the effort ='D

nosajtevol likes this.
  33. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Fixed some major bugs I encountered in the latest update (going live in the next couple days or so), namely when you jumped up against a wall, and you were pushing towards it, you wouldn't get a clean jump and it would kind of get halted against the wall. Fixed now so jumping feels sooo much smoother. Ahh. Sorry that issue was there in the first place. Also enemies moving sometimes when dead. Yikes. Also, added some falling platforms! And scene boundaries! Slowly and surely, my friends!

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  34. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  35. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Awesome, that's a huge list, PVE will be really really solid =D

....but... xD..... i think you should make one big update every some weeks or even a month, instead of small updates every 3/4 days, unless is really needed like a huge bug or so =O.

36. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

That's a good idea. I think I'll do that going forward, now that that little bug is fixed. Make more sense as far as your guys' workflows go. Thanks for the tip!

DrOcto likes this.
  37. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Yeah, idk the rest of the people here, but if you ask me, i prefer to wait more time to have something more solid with more features, than waiting nothing to have 1 or 2 features, and at the same time, it will be less stressing for you, cuz now you have to work more for less time and thinking in uploading fast, you can forget to add/remove/fix something and you would have to upload a new version x).

38. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

You have a point. However I promised just a couple more features asap, namely getting the reversed animations back in and having spine animations working. So I think my plan will be that I'll do one last quick update in the next few days adding those in, and THEN I'll be rolling out monthly/ quarterly updates with lots of stuff. Thanks for the tips :)

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  39. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

It's ok, you don't need to do what i said xD, it was just my opinion, but it's your engine, at the end you are the one who decides (=

40. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Haha thanks! But no, I definitely agree with you. It would make a lot more sense from a practical and marketing point of view. As always, I really appreciate all the feedback :) If I don't want to take your feedback, I won't! But your opinions really help me see it from a customer's perspective, and help shape the experience to hopefully get better and better. So thanks!

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  41. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Hey, is it posible in PVE to create enemies like these little ones from Metroid ?

Multiviola_SM.png

They are reflected off the walls/floor and bouncing around, in other words, they can move freely in X and Y axis and if they collide with a wall/floor, they change their movement direction

42. primitiveType

primitiveType

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I just downloaded the asset and have 2 compiler errors in an empty project...

Assets/Platform-Vania Engine/Scripts/Base Scripts/PVTriggerFlowchart.cs(4,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `Fungus' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/Platform-Vania Engine/Scripts/Base Scripts/PVTriggerFlowchart.cs(8,9): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `Flowchart' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

43. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Theres a readme file in PVE, you need to comment or remove the line "using fungus" and with Flowchart go to where is the error and comment those lines (=

44. primitiveType

primitiveType

Ah, my mistake. I read the readme right after posting my comment and still didn't even see this. Thanks for the response!

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  45. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

My apologies, I thought that I had deleted that script. Simply delete the PVTriggerFlowchart script and that will solve that. I will remove it in the next version.

I can add this enemy type to the game! Seems really easy to make, just make his velocity direction match the inverse of the normal of the collision angle.

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  46. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Hey guys! I just want to let you all know that I'm working on a relaunch for the Platform-Vania engine. I.E version 2.0. this will include major updates and overhaul of the UI, and major tweaks to usability and game-feel.

Thus, I will be post-poning any updates until that is out because I plan to make a whole new set of tutorials for it. A brand new demo that shows off everything, as well as new marketing materials.

I think this first year of the Platform-Vania Engine was useful in having me figure out exactly what it can be and all of your guys' feedback has been amazing to help me reorient myself to make it amazing.

I'm going to be changing a lot of little things, and therefore instead of just doing updates every month/ week, I'm just going to do a mega-update at the end of the year.

I've already done some major quality of life updates (improved UI, new animation system, checkpoints, saving/ loading), but it would require me to go back and redo a lot of the tutorials to show you guys how to use them all. I figure it's easiest and best to just batch it all together.

I hope that you guys are all on board with this and as excited as I am for it! If you have any requests, and it's not mentioned on the roadmap already, feel free to let me know about them! I want you all to know that I want to get everything in that fits the concept of the engine.

Roadmap:

https://trello.com/b/dnFklwtB/the-platform-vania-engine

Thanks again for your on going support and feedback guys It's all been super helpful and super appreciated.

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  47. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Awesome news, can't wait ='D, so this new PVE 2.0 will be uploaded at the end of the year or what ? cuz you're talking about yearly updates, which on one hand is good to have super solid features, but on the other hand it's kinda a lot of time xD, even the top assets here (not only engines), update at least 3/4 times per year, to fix bugs and add new features, what you could do is if someone requests something, to put it in a list and if more people request the same thing then you can put it in an update.

Now let's say that PVE 2.0 will have a lot of features and it will be super complete, to create a solid game, but what will happen with new people buying the engine, they will request new features that you didn't think before, at the end everyone thinks different right ?, and even more, what if that feature is really needed, a most have in a metroidvania game, i think noone will want to wait one year for that.

I think it would be better, after 2.0, to have big updates every 2/3 months, with the features that have more votes aswell as bug fixes, and then again other 2/3 months to think in new features and so on.

And requests, umhhh, not a request at all but a fix, the wall jump is kinda weird, and hard to use, myabe an option if you want it to auto stick to the wall or by pressing the arrow would be better.

Ahh sometimes when i have a way too rounded shape in Ferr2D the player goes crazy and i can't control it, idk if i should put more raycasts or if it's a bug about complex terrain shapes.

Maybe having an option to turn the character in 360 dregrees while swimming like in Rayman legends, instead of flipping it.

To have projectile variety, like how many projectiles per shot (1,2,3,4,etc), and the behavior of the projectile, if you want to throw something, like axes in castlevania,hammers in Mario,etc,reflect them,or like a boomerang, and of course that the enemies can use them too, not only the player.

To put the player in the game manager, instead of having to put it manually in every scene.

To change music per world/scene/room and to have an option to low the volume in some rooms

MP for weapons, having an option for collecting it or auto refilling it, and if you choose autorefill and you use all the energy, to have an option to wait some seconds to start refilling it again, with an option of adding an animation, for example throwing rocks, and if the MP bar is empty, to play an animation like if thep layer is tired and then refilling it again xD, or an option to recover MP hitting enemies.

Enemies that drop HP or, if you hit them, you can recover health, like in Guacamelee

To display the name of the world the first time you visit it

To have optional "turn animations" when the player/enemies look to the camera before going left or right, while standing, running,jumping,etc.

The boundaries to kill the player are really good, but what about having an option to kill the player instantly and go to the game over screen, or kill it, take damage and respawn it in the last check point, like in hollow knight when you enter in acid, or to do nothing but taking damage, like Samus when she enters in lava without her Varia suit.

And i won't continue or you will hate me forever xD

But really, super excited for 2.0 ='D

Keep up the great work =D

Cheers !!!

48. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

No I won't be doing yearly updates. I plan to release version 2.0 before the end of this year, and then after that I will release consistent updates again (probs monthly). I'm just going to not give updates till then because I'm going to make new tutorials and I don't want to confuse people

That said these are all amazing suggestions. I'll add them to the list. Ill also look into that bug. Not sure whats going on there!

Thanks so much, as always

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  49. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Ahh ok, so if you plan to launch it at the end of the year, in 5 months, in the meanwhile what then ._. ?

Btw, quick question, how can i make the player shoot without a weapon ? , in the demos you grab a weapon, but what if the character can throw away lasers and such thingies x) ?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  50. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

It
    It may be a bit earlier than then, but yea sometime between October and December. Till then I won't be doing any updates, but if you guys need any help I will be here!

Basically the current attacking system allows you to have melee weapons or projectile weapons. You can also give a character a default weapon. If you want the character to have a projectile weapon that shoots lasers by default, simply add the PVShootProjectiles component to the character and input all the settings for that component. You'll also need a PVEquipWeapon script for the character. I realize I haven't made a tutorial on this yet, which is another oopsie and something I will put out for version 2 release (or maybe sooner)

CHEMAX3X likes this.