Search Unity

[DEPRECATED] The Platform-Vania Engine - Physics and Raycast Based 2D Action Platforming

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nosajtevol, Jan 26, 2018.

1. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Its ok take your time, we all are busy from time to time, i will be pending (=

2. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Haha yea sorry, I realize there's a lot of stuff going on. I'll try to make it even more clear in future updates.

Unfortunately there's no run/walk toggle yet, though I'll definitely add that to my list. It's just running for now.

No problem! Good luck! And seriously, if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to ask!

3. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Great =D, i will be playing with the engine and messing around x).

Again, thanks a lot for all your help.

Best regards =D

nosajtevol likes this.
  4. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Awesome! Good luck and have fun!

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  5. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Hello, me again x),, i was watching the ai tutos and just wondering, when an enemy detects the player, this one attacks instantly, i just want to know if instead of that i can make it react first( like if its surprised to see the player ) and then attack, to make it more natural.

Idk if i was clear xD

nosajtevol likes this.
  6. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Currently there isnt that functionality built in yet, but I am planning a lot of Enemy AI improvements and I'll try to add that one in very soon.

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  7. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Got it, thanks a lot (=

8. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

If you have more AI behavior ideas please throw them at me. Would love to compile a good list and get a bunch made.

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  9. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

NEW UPDATES in version 1.12! AI Wrap Movement and Gliding controls! Should be live in the next few days! Enjoy!

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  10. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Sure thing, i dont want to be the dude who asks a lot of things xD, but here are some ideas(you don't have to do it of course =D):

what about flying enemies ? enemies throwing fire/bullets, etc, and swimming enemies(i didn't see this so far in other engines).Enemies falling down like the blocks in Mario games,enemies that follow the player,enemies that spawn all the time randomly, like the medusa heads/ghosts in castlevania games, enemies that you can't touch like spikes, enemies that you can only touch at certain point, for example an enemy that is using electricity for a moment and if you touch it at that moment you'll be damaged.Also, i don't know if this is already in the engine but it will be good to jump on enemies(like Mario games), not just damaging them with melee attacks.

Also it will be good to have wall running and charge attacks (you know holding the attack button then release it to use the charged attack).The swimming is a really great feature, but it will be good if you add a limit to be underwater, and make it optional (to use it as an upgrade for the player to be unlimitedly underwater)

Maybe as a suggestion, you could create another trailer for the engine with a different style, a different character and world to show more variety for people and gain more atention.

If you want i can help you with something to make it easier for you, just let me know.

I think i wont continue with the list or you will end up hating me forever xD, but again those are just ideas, its up to you to put them or not, at the end is your engine (=.

Best regards.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    nosajtevol likes this.
  11. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Great !! cant wait to check it out, thanks for this update as always =D

12. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Dude, I LOVE it! This kind of enthusiasm is what makes me want to make this engine bigger and bigger.

All of these seem very do-able and easy to add, so you can expect them coming bit by bit within the next month or so.

By the way, Im going to start working on an AI sequencer as well that will allow the AI to swap their movement behaviors intelligently. IE if it falls in water, you can tell it to start swimming, etc.

But honestly the more suggestions the better! So if you have more I am totally open to hearing them! Thanks so much for these cool suggestions as always!

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  13. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

That AI sequencer will be really helpful for boss fights for sure.

One more idea.. Maybe sticky and slippery platforms for ice and mud. Im thinking that with all of these you can sell it as " make the metroidvania of your dreams,BUT if you dont want, doesnt matter at all,i give you a bunch of features to create a great platformer"

Btw, i noticed that the new update was already released, i will check it in the morning cuz now i should be sleeping xD.

Anyways, thanks a lot again for everything (=

nosajtevol likes this.
  14. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Great idea! Kind of already had that in mind but definitely will add those to the list. Also should be very easy to implement.

No problem! Enjoy the new update! Also just letting you (and anyone else who reads this) know that I'm removing ledge grabbing/ climbing for now. There are some issues with it and I need to remake it from the ground up.

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  15. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Its ok, i don't plan to use ledge grabbing/climbing in my game (so far).

Thanks a lot (=

nosajtevol likes this.
  16. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

No problem! Will implement a new version soon so if you do plan on doing it let me know and I'll prioritize it. Thanks again!

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  17. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

It's ok, i won't use those movements, take your time (=

nosajtevol likes this.
  18. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Thanks! :)

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  19. Viking

Viking

Just pick up the engine, I'm really excited to dive in head first! Is there any documentation, if it's listed and I didn't see I apologize.

Thanks,

Viking.

nosajtevol likes this.
  20. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

No problem! I should probably make it more obvious, but there's a bunch of tutorials on my YouTube channel. That's probably the best place to get started. There's also a PDF in the documentation folder of the engine folder. It's a bit outdated so I'd say the tutorials are best to start.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9VW8otlwcUf2Q8W_rLvGPoXF8dGh5L3a

Good luck! And quick note to you and anyone else starting, the animation workflow requires a different kind of set up now. Check out this video to understand it. If you need anything else please let me know! Have fun!

Viking likes this.
  21. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Just letting you guys know, I'm currently teaming up with a Pixel artist to make an all new demo for the engine that will be focused more on the "Metroid" part of the "Metroid-Vania".

Upcoming features included in the engine will be:

A MAP SYSTEM

Similar to classic Metroid style mapping as well as something akin to Hollow Knight's map-making.

Inspiration Examples:

(Super Metroid)

(HOLLOW KNIGHT)

OMNI-DIRECTIONAL AIMING:

Examples:

(Metroid: Samus Returns)

(Rise & Shine)

My goal is to finish this by the end of the month but to get a basic version up in about 2 weeks time. Thanks everyone for staying tuned and I hope you enjoy the new updates!

22. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

That's awesome, can't wait to see it in action *.*

nosajtevol likes this.
  23. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

nosajtevol likes this.
  24. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Yup! All you have to do is either change the music on the PVGameManager component in the starting scene, or on the spawn points themselves that transport you from scene to scene, there's an option to change music going into the scene. So currently that's the only options for changing the music.

As for that kit, I have no idea but at first glance I'd say most likely. It may require some tweaking with their code though so that there aren't conflicts with layer naming but overall I'd say you can make it work, especially if it's just movements that the kit has. Looks neat! Let me know how it goes!

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  25. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Awesome !!

Thanks a lot for the super lightspeed answer as always =D

26. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

No problem! I'm here to offer as much help as I can!

27. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Hey hello, emm quick question, look i'm prototyping and i want to put a random square as the player, while i build the levels and place things, but i get an error :

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable animator of PVCharacterController has not been assigned.

So, i just want to know if i can use this random square without animations, i just want to put it all the habilities, that's all, or is really mandatory to set the animations ?

Talking about mandatory things, which parts of the engine are mandatory to import to my project ?, for example, i don't want to include the demos nor the sprites, you know to have it as clean as posible.

I also have this error :

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    PVHealth.Start () (at Assets/Platform-Vania Engine/Scripts/Shared Abilities/PVHealth.cs:44).

One more thing, do you have a support mail ? to don't be asquing things here all the time xD.

Thanks in advance =P

nosajtevol likes this.
  28. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Sure thing! These are really simple exceptions so if you can just send me a package of your build to jasonariogames@gmail.com I can fix it up in no time.

29. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Holly sh... that was fast o.o !!

I sent you a mail (=

30. Viking

Viking

Omg. This update. This is amazing, thank you for your hard work and dedication to the engine.

nosajtevol likes this.
  31. Viking

Viking

So I've been trying to hook in my animations for my sprites. I followed the tutorial video on animations, but I have a feeling that I'm either doing it wrong or maybe the setup is for different animation types and not sprites. I had a character idle animation and it was working. But after I hooked in the override controller, I changed the idle in the override and it won't play the idle animation any longer. I hope I explained that well enough. I went through the video in the beginning portion and even went and looked at the van helsing prefab. I must be missing something, and I feel like I'm so close. Help! Lol

Thanks,

Viking

nosajtevol likes this.
  32. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Ah man, sorry to hear you're having difficulties. I plan to make new tutorial videos soon so it's all updated and clear. Are there any error messages? Perhaps send me your project or simply more details in a support email? Jasonariogames@gmail.com. This way I can find exactly what I'm missing in the explanation as well.

33. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

And no problem! I love it too!

34. Kale

Kale

Do you have a 2.5D example I can look at?

The asset says 2D and 2.5D but the videos seems to be all 2D.

But it looks great, from what I can see right now.

nosajtevol likes this.
  35. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Unfortunately I don't have a 2.5d sample yet (working on it). However there is zero difference in the setup for the engine because it's actually set up so that it really doesn't matter at all. The animations are all animator based, so you can put any kind of model in for the character and it will work. You can use any kind of camera system with the engine too so it's truly up to you!

36. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Making a new demo for the Platform-Vania engine inspired by two of my favorite indie platforming games of all time, Hollow Knight and Night In The Woods, both made with Unity. Going to start using this as the primary demo once it's done to develop more and more features that are popular in both of those games. Hope you guys like!

CHEMAX3X likes this.
  37. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Awesome !! can't wait to see it in action =D

38. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Wow, this looks super cool! Is it claymation?

39. CHEMAX3X

CHEMAX3X

Yeah, it's plasticine, so it will be claymation (=

nosajtevol likes this.
  40. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

That is super amazing. Keep posting the progress! I really want to follow it!

41. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

nosajtevol likes this.
  42. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

I also feel you should make a tutorial course on udemy. There is not a single course available on udemy or anywhere how to make a professional game like your asset from start to end online. Maybe a Kickstarter would be great too. I went ahead and bought the asset. Trying to make a game alike links I posted. My problem is programming only. Assets and art ready :).Hopefully, I will be able to make it with this asset. Thanks a lot for making this asset.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    nosajtevol likes this.
  43. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

That's really awesome! I know of these games actually, they're amazing! With the Platform Vania Engine you can do combos pretty easily as well as different weapons with their own combos and animations. These games I think are relatively simple but have a lot of action combos. Let Mr know how far you get and if you run into any roadblocks I'll try to help you out! Thanks for getting the engine!

44. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

Do you prefer any chatting application? Or just write everything here. I wish I had a person like you who could do the programming lol.

Anyways I was wondering how i will do the actions if I only have sprite sheets. I have no bone animation with anima2D.

nosajtevol likes this.
  45. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

It's all the same. Wish I had a Sprite sample to show but unfortunately I don't yet. Just follow the same process as the tutorials and input the animations according to the video about the new animation workflow. It uses the Unity animator component so it doesn't matter which kind of animation youre using.

46. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

very interested in the map system, loading scenes. saving states. like for example in castlevania and metroid you can save at a savepoint and load from there.

perhaps even loading scenes additivly and unloading when out of bounds.

this would streamline level creation and increase performance.

nosajtevol likes this.
  47. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

I'm sorry, could you possibly rephrase the question? The engine uses one animator for every character. So they all share the same animator and all you need to do is create an override controller for each character and slot it in to the character controller. Then you slot in all of your animations. Here's a tutorial explaining it.

As for making a udemy course, I'd love to! But I think what I'm going to do is release a bunch of free videos associated with this engine in the coming months. I understand that there needs to be more tutorials going over everything, so in a month or so I'm going to just make a whole lot explaining everything! So hopefully that helps :). Also, I'd love to help as much as possible on your project! If you have any questions while youre making it feel free to ask through here or my support email jasonariogames@gmail.com

48. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

That's a great idea to have that Metroid like checkpoint system. I'll try to add that in within the next few updates.

As for the map system, I'm currently releasing a very basic one that should be up within the next couple of days. Any particular states and variables you're interested in loading and saving?

I also love the loading scenes additively system. That sounds really cool and would make the games really seamless. Ill put that feature on my list!

49. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I would like to save the places i have visited on the map, and also the items the players had, power ups etc.

nosajtevol likes this.
  50. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Makes sense! I'll try to work this into the next few iterations. Thanks!