Search Unity

[DEPRECATED] Terrain Pressure Paint - Paint terrain with your pressure sensitive stylus inside Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by steego, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

FieldInfo treeSizeField =
    m_TreePainterType.GetField("brushSize", treeFlags);

2. steego

steego

I'm guessing the m_TreePainterType is the one that's null, it should get its value from m_TreePainterType = m_EditorAssembly.GetType("UnityEditor.TreePainter");

So probably they've done something with the tree painter in 2019.1, you can try to look for it if it's just been moved, or you can just remove everything related to painting trees if that's not something you use.

3. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks, yes I'm using it a lot for trees.
    And yes I think they have done something with trees in the alpha, just I don't know what they did.
    Any tips on how I can look for what has changed?

4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I think its because some of the api is named experimental in the alpha,
    I'm not to worried about it now

5. steego

steego

Yeah I'd advise you to wait until it leaves alpha before you start mucking about with it, by then the source code should be available here: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/UnityCsReference

You basically need to reverse engineer what they've done to the UnityEditor.TreePainter type, if it's just a rename you just have to rename it in the code, if it's more substantial, you have to figure out how the tree painting works now, and adjust accordingly, sorry I can't be more specific than that.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  6. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes I know what you mean, I was looking a the source code and saw it's only for 2018, so I decided to wait it out.
    I even managed to find the the list of functions for the alpha, and then I saw it said experimental in front of the new terrain functions.

probably just a name change.
    I will get back to it when the 2019 gets into beta.

steego likes this.
  7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

8. steego

steego

Not at the moment I'm afraid, what problems are you having?

9. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

The menu of terrain pressure paint shows up normal, but when I create a terrain I get this error

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    FreakLibEditor.TerrainPressurePaint.TerrainPressurePaint.OnSceneGUI (UnityEditor.SceneView sv) (at Assets/Plugins/FreakshowStudio/TerrainPressurePaint/Editor/TerrainPressurePaint.cs:393)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:3293)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2522)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2383)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <1f0c1ef1ad524c38bbc5536809c46b48>:0)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <1f0c1ef1ad524c38bbc5536809c46b48>:0)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <1f0c1ef1ad524c38bbc5536809c46b48>:0)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:345)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:339)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition, UnityEngine.Rect viewRect) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:315)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect viewRect, UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect, System.Boolean floatingWindow, System.Boolean isBottomTab) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:373)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:340)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:295)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:481)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:455)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.ImmediateRenderer.Draw (UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.DrawChainState dcs) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRenderer/UIRenderers.cs:447)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.UIRenderDevice.ContinueChain (UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.RendererBase head, UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.DrawChainState dcs, System.Boolean outerChainsWithMeshRenderer) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRenderer/UIRenderDevice.cs:841)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.UIRenderDevice.DrawChain (UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.RendererBase head, UnityEngine.Rect viewport, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 projection, UnityEngine.Texture atlas) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRenderer/UIRenderDevice.cs:824)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIRRepaintUpdater.DrawChain (UnityEngine.Rect topRect, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 projection) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRRepaintUpdater.cs:218)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIRRepaintUpdater.Update () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRRepaintUpdater.cs:190)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualTreeUpdater.UpdateVisualTree () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/VisualTreeUpdater.cs:70)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.Panel.Repaint (UnityEngine.Event e) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:589)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:240)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:78)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:179)

10. steego

steego

Sorry @Lars-Steenhoff this is more than 5 minutes work to look at, so I don't have the time right now I'm afraid. If you ping me in the first week of May I might be able to take a quick look, but I suspect the changes to the terrain system are too big for this to be a quick fix.

11. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Sure thing!

12. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

@steego Do you have time to have a look now? Im ready to help were I can

13. steego

steego

I've had a look, unfortunately they've changed a lot of the terrain painting tools, so it would need a complete rewrite to update at this point, and I don't have time for that right now, I'm sorry.

I don't understand why they don't support it themselves though, at least on Mac it's more or less as simple as multiplying the strength with Event.current.pressure.

Maybe try to get a hold of the terrain devs at UT and ask? Seems like they're not aware that painting with a stylus is something people would want (judging by my sales though, it doesn't really seem like something people want hehe).

14. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks for looking!

Yea I was wondering why its not already build into unity.
    I did ask them last year at unity 2018

You can see the question I asked about pressure sensitivity in the editor in this video at 39.47

The answer was that it is planned, and that its related to the new unity input system.
    I'm not sure what the planned timeframe it for release.

I will in the meantime stay on unity 2018.4 LTS for my terrain painting and then import the painted terrains into unity 2019.

I do miss this tool, because tree painting with pressure is very nice, and I have been enjoying using your tool a lot.
    Thanks for making it!

15. steego

steego

Happy to hear it's been useful. They have a new tool system for terrain painting now, so it should be relatively easy to create new tools with pressure support I think, but it's not something I have the time for now.

16. yaprakcierailesi

yaprakcierailesi

pls help me. Ek Açıklama 2020-04-08 083404.jpg

17. steego

steego

18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Looks like unity 2019 was used in that screenshot

19. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I hope this will make terrain pressure paint come back to live :)

20. steego

steego

I'm afraid the biggest changes are how the terrain system works, not so much just getting the pressure information (which is already present on MacOS).

21. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes that is true, well I hope you or unity will make the terrain painting work again in 2019 with pressure. I don't want to get stuck in 2018.