Search Unity

Deployment Licenses

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by RaghuramanC, Feb 6, 2019.

1. RaghuramanC

RaghuramanC

Hi,

I am a new to Unity and going to the licensing terms. I am a developer in a samll company and my company's annual turn over has not crossed $100K yet.

1. So am i correct that i can start with Unity Personal edition for the development of projects.
    2. When i sell/deploy a project to a customer whose annual revenue also under $100k, Then they need not purchase unity license.
    3. When i sell/deploy a project to a customer whose annual revenue goes beyond $100k, Then they should purchase any of the monthly/annual subscription.

Is my understanding correct?

Sincerely
    Rani

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Welcome to the forums!

These sort of questions on licensing never seem to get proper answers here. I think it's mostly because the EULA is a bit vague in some regards, and also because the specifics can be so vastly different from case to case that nobody is confident enough to say for sure without all the details.

What I would say is this: If your company is small as in you and a couple other people, mess around with Unity Personal for a bit and see if it's a tool that fits into your business plan.

If you decide to use it, consider using Unity Plus. I think $25/mo is nothing for a company as far as software goes.

JeffDUnity3D likes this.
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Yes

Yes

Depends. If you are selling the project as built software, then it doesn't matter how much the customer makes.

If you are working on one of their projects as a contract developer or freelancer, then you need a license to match their revenue. If you end up in a weird place where you need multiple licenses to support multiple clients, talk to Unity.

If you are working on a project which you hand over to them, and they continue to edit, then you both need a license to match their revenue.

Schneider21 and Ryiah like this.