Search Unity

Deploying dynamic content

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by optimise, Apr 13, 2018.

1. optimise

optimise

If I understand the context of deploying dynamic content corrently, not only u can update new art assets but you also can update game code then it's the feature I want the most and want to get that feature as soon as possible that I waiting for a decade. Currently for Android and IOS, you only can update new art assets by using Asset Bundles and there is no way to update game code other than waiting vendor app store to approve new version. With this new feature, I see the possibility to update game code instantly after finishing build a new game patch and not only that I think the build time also can be improved with only build game code patch that you no longer need to build target platform player runtime anymore.

2. optimise

optimise

@GabrieleUnity, can I know whether it's the feature that I expect?

3. GabrieleUnity

GabrieleUnity

Unity Technologies

What Vlad's talking about, is specific for the runtime he is discussing about. But there is not much more I can say at the moment, because all is in development and things are evolving on a daily basis.

But what I can tell you is that fast iteration times are one of the key principles we are developing new systems with. We want iterations of any kind to be close to the point where developers will almost not even notice them, and we will do whatever it takes to enable that. Will it be easy to apply this principle to everything? Absolutely not (take linking with il2cpp ... it won't be easy to link the generated object files in a sub-second amount of time), but we want development to be almost free from waiting.

It will take a bit to get there but we will get there, and a lot of the work we are doing is towards setting solid foundational systems to build fast iterations on top of (take the incremental compiler, or the work we are doing on extremely fast serialization for ECS, etc).

optimise likes this.
  4. optimise

optimise

Currently I think the hard problem need to solve is il2cpp long build time. Do u guys working on caching build pipeline kind of thing so the system will skip what has been compiled and only build the new changes to greatly improve build speed. So, first time build will takes long time and subsequent build will take shorter time.[/QUOTE]

5. GabrieleUnity

GabrieleUnity

Unity Technologies

The team is focusing on getting the new mono runtime up to speed and getting the il2cpp debugger working for all the platforms. After that, the focus will be on binary size and compilation time.

That said, incremental builds for il2cpp are already implemented. They can be improved, but at the moment the time it takes to compile after a small change is considerably smaller (despite depending a lot on what you change).

optimise likes this.
  6. optimise

optimise

@GabrieleUnity, seems like this runtime feature still have long way to go. If that's the case, have u guys get the permission from Google and Apple to allow generating delta game patch to patch game code without going through vendor app store? So, when player opens the game, there's a built in game patching system that will check for new updates and will automatically download and update new patch. The system will also patch asset bundle too. I think that's the more feasible solution to achieve. Currently I think need to finish asset bundle delta patching feature first then only moving on to this game code patching.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  7. optimise

optimise

Hi @GabrieleUnity, I would like to know any updates for this question?

8. GabrieleUnity

GabrieleUnity

Unity Technologies

I don't have any answer about this topic, that's why I didn't answer at the time ;)

Dynamic binary patching and everything related is very cool, but many mobile platforms have strict security mechanisms that make it hard, or impossible or explicitly forbid it.

But this is not my field, so I'm stopping here :)

optimise likes this.
  9. optimise

optimise

@GabrieleUnity. I see. Who can I ask for this question?

10. GabrieleUnity

GabrieleUnity

Unity Technologies

As you are asking about special deals with Google or Apple, I don't think there is anyone here who can give you an answer. That said, I don't think there is anything going on atm for the reason explained above. It is not something those platforms allow, AFAIK.

optimise likes this.