Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Dependent package(s) does not show up at Package Manager UI

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by optimise, May 29, 2018.

1. optimise

optimise

Hi @DanielTG.

1) When u download a package, the dependent package(s) will be downloaded automatically but it does not show up at Package Manager UI. I think the UI needs a way to show the dependent package(s) with the version number. Maybe make it shows all the dependent package(s) and when u select a package, dependent package(s) will group together automatically at the bottom of the selected package.

2) I think it also needs to have roll back to last known working version of dependent package(s) function if updating dependent package(s) to latest version make it fail to work properly as sometimes you dun know what is the last known working version.

upload_2018-5-30_1-35-11.png

upload_2018-5-30_1-36-21.png

2. DanielTG

DanielTG

Hi @optimse,

Thanks for the feedback. We agree and we're in the working on visualizing dependencies in the UI as we speak. One question we're still asking (and it's related to both your points), is what are the expectation when two seperate packages depend on a common package (e.g. Package A and Package B depend on Package C)?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Daniel

3. optimise

optimise

Hi @DanielTG, like I say before when you select a package, its dependent package(s) will automatically move to the bottom of the package. I visualize it for better understanding. For example, when u select B package, C and D packages will automatically move to the bottom of B packages as it depends on C and D package. Same rule applies to E package when you select E package as it depends on C and A packages.

upload_2018-5-31_8-52-48.png

4. Stormy102

Stormy102

If I might add my own opinion, I believe that it should show the dependent packages when the package that depends on them is added, below the description. Then it should show these packages separately in the package manager, like a normal package. This allows them to be updated as necessary.
    When a package that is a dependency for another package is attempted to be removed, a warning should display, which will detail that it is dependent on this package.

For example, if you install the HD Render Pipeline, when the HD Render Pipeline is selected, it will display the dependencies (SRP Core and Postprocessing). This packages will also show as being installed in the UI, which allows the package to be independently updated. If the SRP Core is attempted to be removed, a warning will popup, saying that the HD Render Pipeline needs to be uninstalled first before it is possible to remove the SRP Core.

optimise likes this.
  5. optimise

optimise

Hi @DanielTG, sorry for the bad suggestion I make previously. I think it's better to make every package has its own dependent package. Meaning that if package A and package B both need dependent package C, both package A and package B will own and treat dependent package C separately. I realize that what if package A only can support dependent package C version 1.0 and will break after updating to version 1.1. So, you cannot just enforce one and only one dependent package to rule them all. But this solution will also arise new problem. How different same dependent package with different version number can be treated different without any compile error and dependent package is also can be a independent package. I wonder currently how's package manager works.