Search Unity

Dependency on the VR & XR built-in packages

Discussion in 'Input System' started by Remiel, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Remiel

Remiel

The new input system has a dependency on the VR & XR built-in packages that should be removed before you guys release it. Just letting you know.

The long version:
    I just created a new project in the latest stable build of Unity 2019.3. Disabled unneeded built-in packages, and then added the latest available version of the new input system. Bam, the project can't compile because of dependency on XR:

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.0-preview.5\InputSystem\Plugins\XR\XRSupport.cs(108,16): error CS1069: The type name 'InputDeviceCharacteristics' could not be found in the namespace 'UnityEngine.XR'. This type has been forwarded to assembly 'UnityEngine.XRModule, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' Enable the built in package 'XR' in the Package Manager window to fix this error.

I open the built-in packages again and this time enable XR. Yet the project still can't compile, this time with an error:
    Library\PackageCache\com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.0-preview.5\InputSystem\Plugins\XR\TrackedPoseDriver.cs(178,17): error CS0103: The name 'XRDevice' does not exist in the current context

I stay there staring at my screen like an idiot, thinking about how I can make this blasted input system work. Then I remember that you guys did some refactoring and moving stuff around in XR and VR packages. So, this time I go back to the built-in packages and enable VR.

Voila, finally it compiles.
    I'm posting this long version just in case anyone else ends up wracking their brains why they can't get the Input System to compile in an empty project.

2. JamhammerDev

JamhammerDev

Ah! Thanks for this, helped solve our issues.

3. DevATsci

DevATsci

We have this exact issue now and it is a minefield. Very frustrating.