Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Dependency on /all endpoint

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Claytonious, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Claytonious

Claytonious

We're using Artifactory to host our own internal custom packages across teams. Teams can only add packages by manually entering them into the manifest with a text editor because they don't show up in the package manager UI (until they're manually added into the json for each one). My understanding is that this is because Unity leans on the /all endpoint from the repository which modern NPM-compatible repositories no longer offer (even though some of them like Verdaccio do).

Is my understanding correct?

If so, what is the eventual roadmapped plan for offering our own packages to be visible in the package manager UI in the future? Will repositories like Artifactory be fully supported eventually? How will it work?

If we are going to have to switch to something else eventually then I would rather bite the bullet and do it now.

Thanks!

2. ethan_jl_unity

ethan_jl_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

Our team is working on a new search that should fix your issue here. We have our own internal mechanism to only show certain packages that we define and that's why you are not seeing any packages.

As for the `/all` end point, we are also moving away from that. We will use the `/search` end point in the future - so as long as your registry supports that it should be fine in the long run.

Claytonious likes this.
  3. Claytonious

Claytonious

Thank you for taking the time to share your plans - and they sound like great plans! Can you say anything about when and how this enhancement to use /search will be available? Will we be able to update the Package Manager UI package itself to get this or will it be tied to Unity releases? Any idea when it might become available (even in an early alpha state?)

Thanks again!

4. ethan_jl_unity

ethan_jl_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

It's something we are still working on so it's hard to give an ETA for it considering the complexity of a release cycle.

The feature will most likely be tied to new Unity releases, but there might also be plans to backport it to older versions.

5. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Claytonious ,

Artifactory scoped registries search support (i.e. npm's /-/v1/search instead of /-/all) will be available in 2019.3.

Regards,

Pascal

Claytonious likes this.
  6. Claytonious

Claytonious

That's great news and thank you for taking the time to share it! Do you know yet which earlier Unity versions might get a backport? Is 2018 LTS on the table, for example?

Thanks again!

7. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

You are welcome. For the moment, we don't have plans to backport this feature. The codebase difference between 2018 and 2019 branch is starting to get wider. Some features are harder to backport than others. We try to focus on high priority features as much as we can. I'm sorry. If you have an account manager, you can request for this feature to be backported. This is one benefit of being an enterprise customer ;)

Regards,

Pascal

Claytonious likes this.