Search Unity

Demonstrating my Unity games in a demo reel / video for university co-ops

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GregPDesUGD, Dec 22, 2016.

1. GregPDesUGD

GregPDesUGD

I want to put together some sort of video to showcase the different games I made so far, along with one game that's still in progress. This is to demonstrate to co-op employers some evidence about my knowledge of Unity without having to bring my laptop over for interviews except those needed.

A friend of mine told me about a free, open-source video capture program called OBS Studio, which lets me screen capture the games I built as a video file. But it does not have a video editor, where it lets me add video transitions, and text to wherever I want on the screen.

What I'm now looking for is some video editing software. Windows Movie Maker is too limiting with the features it offers. I used to have Vegas Movie Studio, but not anymore. And I'm not sure if the trial versions will let me export the video to whichever format I want. Ideally, I should get a free, open-source video editing program that has the above. For once, it could be OpenShot, where perhaps I could give it a shot and see whether it has what I need.

What program should I get?

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Blackmagic: Resolve is pretty cool, and it's free. I've had success with it, but from memory it only has a few output codecs - it's intended as a part of a larger pipeline. Still, if you need it in some other format there's nothing to stop you converting it afterwards.

Alternatively, the Adobe editors are pretty standard and you could get just a month's subscription, I think.

TonyLi likes this.
  3. TonyLi

TonyLi

There's also Lightworks. It's free, and it's been used to edit "Wolf of Wall Street, LA Confidential, Pulp Fiction, Heat, Road to Perdition, Hugo, The King’s Speech and many more!" (copy-pasted from their hype page) I felt a little lost in the UI until I watched the short tutorial video, then I could get around just fine.

angrypenguin likes this.