Search Unity

Games Demolition game - WIP - Looking for your thoughts and testers, feedback?

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by khos, Nov 18, 2018.

1. khos

khos

Thanks, gives me something to think about, over price it and I feel less sales will be made? Maybe 5 USD might be better.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Undervalue and people will think, is a crap game :)

Play of psychological game, based on prices.
    Same thing shops doing, puttin same product at higher price, making it look like good quality, targeting more wealthy customers. And yet, in other shops, same product is sold for lower price, targeting less wealthy customers. Often sold under different, or no name brand.

But yep, depending what you provide 5$ may be ok.

You also want leave space for discounts and sells.

3. Codemilker

Codemilker

Under which circumstances do you think the DLC route would not make sense, or wouldn't you recommend it in general? Thanks.

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

I am not saying it makes no sense. But I know many games, they use DLCs in "wrong way", while releasing game in unfinished state. Hence I don't personally support that idea, because I see general trending, unless executed in "right way". I think, non need for further explanation?

Codemilker likes this.
  5. ClaudiaTheDev

ClaudiaTheDev

I wouldnt go below 10 dollars ( 9.99 :) ). I dont even take a closer look on steam games for 2 dollars (expect sales or old games) because how good can they be?
    Make it early access and announce more levels and deliver them in time.
    When your game has a solid amount of 4 hours gameplay you can charge 10 dollars for early access. In steam sale you can make it 50% to 5 dollars which will give you a huge boost in search.
    Just don't rush and take 1 or even 6 months more, a bad start can ruin the whole thing, believe me.
    Don't sale under value!

I also really recommend kickstarter to you. There you can offer the basic game for less than 10 dollars (backers price) and with the money you can gain time to make more content.
    When you polish your video and logo and all this stuff this could be really a success on kickstarter.
    You could even do a video with real life people like:
    A man is really stressed out, work is annoying, traffic is annoying and the destroy for example furniture out of rage or hardware or a car which owner annoyed him at traffic. And than a voice says "Instead of this" rather do this: Than your game is shown in the most epic way, and nice captions like "Relief your stress" or whatever nice words.
    There are thousand differnet ideas!

Just wanted to say that it looks really prominsing but still needs a bit polishing and you shouldnt rush!

@Codemilker

I also think people dont even really buy DLC for not really popular games. So when somone makes a DLC only people who own the basic game and really likes it will buy it which i think wont be many. And also your risking bad reviews like "The game is too small". You should rather do Early Access! Why lose time creating cool content which no one will play because it is hidden behind a DLC. And also you cant get positive reviews or lets play videos for that... DLC is something for bigger companies or very popular games.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Codemilker likes this.
  6. khos

khos

Thanks for your info, I'm giving the price more consideration. Imagine 39 USD ... :)

7. khos

khos

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
    The game has come a long way since, but my initial mindset was to make it cheap so people think they get a good deal, by sounds of other devs/yourself this is probably a bad idea. I am now thinking between 5 and 10 USD would be a good price, put it on early access.

You mention this idea of "You could even do a video with real life people like:
    A man is really stressed out, work is annoying, traffic is annoying and the destroy for example furniture out of rage or hardware or a car which owner annoyed him at traffic. And than a voice says "Instead of this" rather do this: Than your game is shown in the most epic way, and nice captions like "Relief your stress" or whatever nice words.
    There are thousand different ideas!"

To this topic, the game's intro actually has something like that, see video:

You're sitting at your desk, working away when you computer terminal crashes... you get fedup and headbutt the screen (I am sure no one here has ever thought of that!? :)) Then suddenly in the broken screen someone starts asking you questions... do you want to play a game and that is how the game starts.
    What do you think?

Codemilker and ClaudiaTheDev like this.
  8. Antypodish

Antypodish

Anyone recall that game from at least Win XP times? :)

I use to play it on win xp :)

Codemilker and khos like this.
  9. khos

khos

Oh yes! I loved that...
    My intro is on a green screen / 3270 terminal (somewhat before Win XP times).. maybe shows my age?

Antypodish likes this.
  10. ClaudiaTheDev

ClaudiaTheDev

Intro is really nice:)!!!

khos likes this.
  11. khos

khos

He he, I came up with that idea one day... I must have been fedup ;)

12. Codemilker

Codemilker

No further explanation needed, I guess. As I understand your thoughts, it basically shouldn't be like buying a car for a clearly stated price, only to find out that you have to pay something extra for each wheel o_O

The "right way" for me would be that DLC should be something like an additional rear spoiler or nicer rims: something you might want and not necessarily something you need to proceed.

Hmm, I think I missed that back then. But it makes me curious...

khos and Antypodish like this.
  13. Codemilker

Codemilker

Thanks for the advice Gor-Sky (I just realized I overlooked your comment and didn't get a forum alert, I guess). Yeah, I also think that hiding only the interesting stuff behind a paywall will more likely create a chicken-egg problem, if that is what you mean.

However, I think that problem always exists in a product that is not offered for free. In that case, it probably all depends on the marketing, which for me is everything that gets players to the (hopefully interesting) core game loop. Even the game itself. Therefore for me Early Access, DLC, etc. is more of a secondary decision and also depends on the game type.

I was just wondering what bad experiences there might be regarding DLC (other than the "hiding-cool-content problem").

khos likes this.
  14. Antypodish

Antypodish

If is cool content thats not too bad. But if it is just a skin, or set of skins for 20$+ and game cost 10$, while not adding anything to the game play itself, that is crap DLC. Also, bad DLC is, when breaking more stuff than fixing / adding.

Codemilker and khos like this.
  15. khos

khos

Do many developers take the approach to work on the game until 100% complete, not worry about when to publish until it's ready, do not use the early access / DLC options. It is a difficult decision. I wonder if there are any stats available on this sort of thing. I do like the idea of early access, but wonder how well that works.

16. Antypodish

Antypodish

It works, that is for sure.
    But your launch day can be critical.
    Further updates / DLCs etc, can enhance, or dive down your sells.

17. khos

khos

Have not posted for a while, thought to delay the release and work on game more.. Hope you don't if I share a couple of things I have been working on, feedback would be most welcome:

Added another weapon type, Bowling Balls (they last a certain time, everything it hits it blows up in it's path):

Corridors (most blocks cn be blown up):

Debris area, you have to blow up debris to jump over columns to reach next area:

Area Open animation:

Lifts:

18. khos

khos

Moving Walls (anything they touch, BOOM!):

Maze Area:

Ball Spawner:

Antypodish likes this.
  19. Codemilker

Codemilker

Hi khos, especially the Corridors and the Ball Spawner look interesting to me. I think the Bowling Balls need some pins standing around ;)

khos likes this.
  20. khos

khos

Thanks for the feedback Codemilker!

Codemilker likes this.
  21. khos

khos

Still working on this, adding more of my nice to have's, this one is getting closer to complete, a in game beat sequencer/maker (the base beat uses explosion sounds :) ):

Once I get this done I want to add steam leaderboards and more sounds, I think audio is missing somewhat, and that also makes for a good game.

konsic likes this.
  22. khos

khos

Looks like the release date is now locked for 16th August on Steam (https://store.steampowered.com/app/467650/Demolition). Hope you can visit and take a look, if you like it show you support, e.g. wishlist :) If you are interested to play the game let me know, I would be happy to give you a steam key (altough, I may limit these).

23. khos

khos

Just thinking: That is where you can add your own blocks (pins) with the build tool.

Codemilker likes this.
  24. khos

khos

Been adding some sounds, mainly of the fast moving hammers, see (well actually hear):

Antypodish and Codemilker like this.
  25. khos

khos

Oh great, steam seems to have messed with my release date, should be today but still shows as coming soon, and I can't click release! It's weekend and I don't think anyone at valve is going to help until Monday, the joys of game dev...

26. Codemilker

Codemilker

Hi khos, that is really weird. The steam page still says that it will be released on August 16, 2019...

Did you contact the Steam support?

27. khos

khos

Hi,
    Yes even thought Valve reviewed and approved it there are 4 images that I need to upload... before doing that I don't get the release option! Now the very last image won't upload so I am asking steam for support on this, kind of frustrating to say the least! Fingers crossed it will get sorted soon.

Just as you think the end is near, another block occurs.

28. Codemilker

Codemilker

That's really annoying... Is there a way to reset your steam page? In case you didn't do that already, maybe try to delete the content and upload everything again. Switch some options back and forth. Maybe this resets some internal state of the page.

Would be interesting to know if someone else had similar problems.

khos likes this.
  29. khos

khos

Hi, no I just have to wait until someone at Valve decides to help me....then I will ask if I can get the coming soon queue etc again. Fingers crossed it will work out ok. This is the first time I 've had such issues.

30. khos

khos

Whooop Whoop, finally going live soon:
    upload_2019-9-3_22-57-44.png

It's been an adventure, onto the next project soon :)

31. khos

khos

All done, can't believe that I just clicked the release button, whoohoo!

Codemilker likes this.
  32. Codemilker

Codemilker

Hi khos, are you planning to release new updates for the game?

33. khos

khos

Hi Codemilker, it really depends on what bugs/feedback people provide :)
    I may have other add-ons in mind but for now I'm waiting for feedback/players (there has not been as much I hoped, maybe due to botched steam release?!)

34. Codemilker

Codemilker

I think the way players are introduced to the gameplay could be improved. Maybe a small tutorial in the beginning of the game would help.

What do you think?

35. khos

khos

Hi, thanks for the feedback! Could be a good idea, maybe it is not that obvious how to play, there is a help section on the intro page, not sure if players read that. I will try to get that updated.

Codemilker likes this.
  36. DamonMoss

DamonMoss

action games often have extremely attractive links, when I found the great Mod Apk versions on: androidpig.com, you can try when playing games with higher entertainment