Search Unity

Demo for Worlds of Magic

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by doomtrader, Oct 7, 2013.

1. doomtrader

doomtrader

Hey guys,

For some time we have been working on a 4X strategy game called Worlds of Magic.

Of course the game is made on Unity with primary focusing on PC, Linux and Mac, and in the second stage with iOS and Android.

Among others, there are two main elements of the game. One is Strategic Map where the most of the game takes place and second is Tactical Combat map, which is launched when two enemy armies meet on Strategic Map.

Currently we have released a demo of the alpha version of the Tactical map, where currently we are testing the combat mechanics. At the end of this week we are planning to implement almost complete D20 OGL mechanic.

If you would like to test the game (or share the demo with others) here is the link to download.

http://myworldsofmagic.com/download

Have fun and please share your opinions.

2. kalamona

kalamona

Wow, great! I am really curious. Master of Magic is one of my all time favorite (though I recently discovered Dominions 4, which also is a really solid game). I am really hoping for a great game.

3. kalamona

kalamona

Some first impressions:

Effects:

- Crossbowmen arrows need to be far more noticeable. Perhaps using trails.
    - The selection effect is weird (yeah I know it is from one of my packages, but it wasn't made for this situation, and a bit big). Appears with a delay but then instantly, and the "half-circles" and effects get left behind when the unit moves. (Just turn off "simulate in worldspace", and change Color Animation0 to zero opacity, also perhaps increase min and max emission to 3-4 instead of 1. BTW if you need new effects, modifying existing ones, or just generally a technical artist, you can always write to me, kalamona01@gmail.com )

- No blood effect when something is hit?
    - Effects in general are a bit oversized.

UI:

- not clear if the HP is per figure, or altogether the HP of the unit, same with damage
    - it was not clear to me which unit was already done with its turn (no more move or attack left), and which wasn't.
    - The "miss" and similar combat texts appear before animation. If you don't know the anim length or when to trigger it, adding a 0.5 second delay cannot hurt.
    - dragon has a 4 unit wide base, but the movement cursor is only 1 square, making it hard to predict how it will move.
    - buffs (reflect damage for example) do not show up on units, or even at units pages (right click). At least I didn't noticed.

Balance:

- you can summon elementals right into the opponent army's ranks.
    - archers can shoot at distant targets while an enemy is next to them
    - archers retaliate using their ranged attack? (the animation seems so).
    - this d20 system feels a bit too random for me. A catapult hits a goblin spearman army and is totally ineffective, the next shot it kills them all. Also dragon misses goblin spearmen first, hits for 57 damage next time. In MoM it was so, that if the unit had 10 swords (attack icons), then the game actually made 10 "damage" checks, making non-damaging attacks far less common for creatures that are more powerful.
    - units pass next to enemy units without problems. In MoM (and in a lot of other games) units have a "zone of control" next to them, that stop enemy units, or slow them, or making a free attack on them when they leave the units' zome of control, etc.

Ideas:

- if you have an unit on both sides of an enemy, you could get a bonus to attack. That would make flanking / melee more strategic.
    - arrows or wasd for moving the map would be nice

Other:

- The dragon walks instead of at least flying when moving, like in Heroes series :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  4. doomtrader

doomtrader

kalamona, thanks for the feedback, I do really appreciate it.
    Indeed we have got your magical effects, and I know the one for selecting unit is not the best one, it is planned to be changed for another iteration.

Regarding the gameplay issues, the D20 at the moment is pretty limited, most of it (except unit's skills) should be in before weekend.

Thanks for sharing the ideas, those are on the todo list already. We might think about allowing the Dragon to fly a little later in the development process.

5. order66

order66

Hi,

I really don't like downloading stuff (espacially .exe files). Any chance you can make a webplayer?

6. doomtrader

doomtrader

Hey order66, I do understood.

This exe is just selfextracting archive.

However if you prefer webplayer here it is http://arena.myworldsofmagic.com/
    Watch out as it is set to lowest gfx settings and is pretty heavy (over 100 MB).

7. thegdeveloper

thegdeveloper

really good graphics but i think that the camera is a little bit of a problem, probably it could be better to watch the battlefield from the side or behind.

8. doomtrader

doomtrader

There is a free camera at the moment, so you can rotate it with RMB or pan with MMB