Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Delete custom events?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by LumoKvin, Mar 3, 2020.

1. LumoKvin

LumoKvin

Is there a way that I can delete custom events? Or, should I rename them based on the current build?

Capture.PNG

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You can disable but not delete custom events. Once you start sending them, you should avoid changing them. You can certainly create new ones.

3. JWaltbergCCG

JWaltbergCCG

I understand this is not possible currently, but I just wanted to point out that not being able to delete or modify events in any way once they are set up seems like a drastic shortcoming of the system. We made a typo setting up one of our events, and now it is stuck there forever - it has never been enabled, has no data associated with it, yet we are unable to clean it up. We aren't even able to modify the description!

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Then you can just safely ignore the event, and create a new correct event of your choosing. So it's stuck where? What description are you referring to? Perhaps I'm not quite following. You can always create a new ProjectID and start with a new/empty dashboard.

5. JWaltbergCCG

JWaltbergCCG

Thanks for the reply. I meant that the bad event will now be shown in the list of events in the Event Manager forever. And Description is one of the fields that is specified when you create a new Custom Event.

Aside from driving perfectionists like me crazy seeing the typo every time I open the Event Manager, there is a real concern for confusion when the project eventually has hundreds of events, some no longer used, others new and not enabled yet, and others with misleading or incorrect names that should never be used. Maintaining an accurate, up to date list of the current events is imperative for large projects.

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Got it! For clarity, there is no Description field, we only use the name of the event itself. I believe the original motivation to disable deleting events is that the event may be used in a report or funnel and we needed to maintain consistency, and is one of the reasons we created Standard Events. We do get the delete question asked occasionally, and hopefully we can implement such a feature in the new version of Analytics that is in beta currently https://support.unity.com/hc/en-us/articles/4408915768724-General-FAQ

7. JWaltbergCCG

JWaltbergCCG

Thanks. To be clear, we are using the new system currently. The description field is highlighted in the screenshot:

upload_2021-12-6_17-58-23.png

Attached Files:

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Got it, sorry. The original thread was referring to legacy Analytics.

9. unity_Ctri

unity_Ctri

Unity Technologies

Hey Lumo,

It's not possible in the current build, and I see what you're pointing out about the different versions of the event.
    The main reason we can't remove things is to do with interdependencies that form after the event first receives data.

We do enable the addition of extra parameters to an event after its creation, so its not necessary to create new events in every case.

I'll make sure your situation and use case gets relayed to the appropriate people.

10. YD_JMysior

YD_JMysior

+1 for letting us delete or at least modify the name of existing event. People are messy creatures and I easily can imagine my project being flooded with typos and unused events.

APTEM59 likes this.
  11. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Can you elaborate? You mean typos and unused events that you, the developer, create? Users do not send new event definitions or new event types or parameters. You define the events first with the new Analytics before sending them. But see Crti's prior post also.

12. YD_JMysior

YD_JMysior

Yeah - I know. I ment typos and unused events that I create as the developer. It's not just typos - quite often I found myself wishing I could change an event's or parameter's name (or delete it) for the sake of clarity and intuitiveness. The process of planing out events and parameters is quite long and complex, especially when done for the first time. Nailing the names on the first try is next to impossible. It's the same as with class and variable names - you start with a working-name, but as the code-base evolves you change it to better reflect what they actually do.

13. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Understood. For what it's worth, I never need to change variable or event names as you suggest, the skill comes with time. But we do plan to offer this feature, as requested. The more typical requirement for legacy Analytics was to remove test data, prior to release. But with the introduction of Environments in the new version of Analytics, you will have a way to keep the data separate from the beginning.

14. YD_JMysior

YD_JMysior

Yeah, as soon as copying events and parameters between environments is supported (I know there is a post about it already) it sounds very reasonable to separate development and production usage. Thanks!

15. LB-

LB-

> we do plan to offer this feature, as requested.

Thank you! While not frequent, it is completely reasonable to expect requirements to change such that we need to change/remove the name of a custom parameter/event. One example being that I just created a custom parameter named "UserType" where it should be named "userType". Being unable to change this is frustrating.

JeffDUnity3D likes this.
  16. LB-

LB-

@JeffDUnity3D

This may not be the appropriate place, but I've noticed a bug in the latest UGS Analytics. If I have 2 parameters named "UserType" and "userType", I am unable to add "userType" to a custom event. When I add "userType" as a parameter, "UserType" instead is added. If I then try to add "userType", I get an error toast message. I can confirm it is using "UserType" instead of "userType" using different descriptions. Additionally, when adding "UserType" the "UserType" parameter is successfully added. It seems there is a case sensitivity bug here.

I'm in the process of porting our legacy analytics to the new UGS Analytics and so I'd like to use the same parameter names. I made a typo adding "UserType" intially, but have since added "userType". Is there a workaround I can use?

17. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Thank you for the report. I'm not familiar with a work around. As mentioned, we are working on allowing event and parameter editing. You would want to create a new event name in this case, like MyUserType or a name of your choice.

LB- likes this.