Search Unity

Question Delay while using constant spawn particles

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by raeinforce, Oct 11, 2022.

1. raeinforce

raeinforce

Hi everyone! I have a problem with spawn particles. I have 2 graph and I spawn it one of them spawn with delay, but both of them have CONSTANT SPAWN without delay. One of them use default output. Thanks
    upload_2022-10-11_16-15-33.png upload_2022-10-11_16-13-44.png Animation.gif

2. Marie_G

Marie_G

Unity Technologies

Hello, We will try to find a solution together.

My first guess would be that this is due to the spawn rate being inferior in the delayed effect but it should still not cause this issue. If this is the case, it is a bug that we will log.
    Does it still happen if both your effects have the same constant spawn value? (make sure to change the capacity of the second one accordingly to try that)

Is the alpha at 1 at both effects startup? It is also possible that the effect just takes time to visually appear, even if it doesn't look like from your screenshots.
    It can also be provoked by the shader. Does it still happen if you have an output without the shader?
    Is it the same if you reset the effect, or use the Play() event to start it?

Can you specify which Unity version are you working on?

For quicker help, would it be possible for you to send the effect? (as a package you can send it here) so I can dive in and find the issue directly.

I am sorry for all this questions, I hope that one of those will help us know where the issue comes from and then find a solution or report bug if needed!

Thanks for you patience.

raeinforce likes this.
  3. raeinforce

raeinforce

I try to change capacity and spawn rate. Yeap and this variant help me.
    But I dont need this big constant rate. For example: when I put constant rate 4 or less, the problem still persists (capacity 10+)
    I set like this, but i think it's not a good idea)
    upload_2022-10-11_17-11-46.png
    I use 2022.1.18f1

4. Marie_G

Marie_G

Unity Technologies

Thank you for your answer.

Currently to avoid this, you can use a single burst for your floor effect so it will spawn at first frame, instead of a constant spawn rate.
    A spawn rate for 1 will spawn 1 particle at second 1 of the effect and for a rate of 15 the first one will be after 1/15s for example.
    To clarify, you would expect the particle 1 to always spawn at 1st frame no matter the rate?

We will discuss internally to see how we can match user expectations and industry standards on this question. In the meantime, we will see how to clarify the documentation for a better understanding.

Hope this helps! Have a nice day!

Gustjc and raeinforce like this.
  5. Gustjc

Gustjc

Thanks for the clarification!

I encountered the same issue while trying to make a 'power up' effect and this helped me understand and solve it.

I thought constant rate would always start spawning and only later add the delay. But I can understand why it doesn't as it would also be a problem if all the particles spawn at the same time on the first frame.

In my case I needed a constant spawn and not a one-off effect so to solve mine I added a single burst before the constant spawn and that solved it perfectly for me.
    Here was my original issue for reference:
    delay.gif

Thanks.