Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Deftly - Flexible Top Down Shooter System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LaneFox, May 27, 2015.

1. TonyLi

TonyLi

I have a side project in Deftly, though I haven't had time to touch it since February. It's sci-fi, so the players have force field shields. I use a force field shader from the Asset Store and apply damage adjustments using the functions built into Deftly. It's not the same as a medieval buckler or LEO riot shield, but if you might be able to concoct a similar solution depending on your setting.

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

Technically everything is collider based so if you setup a shield weapon then projecticles can collide with it and let it actually work as a shield.

Also want to repost that there are issues with the latest Unity version and Deftly. Looking into fixes.

3. Thade2k

Thade2k

Hello, is there a way to make enemies drop their weapons after they die and the player to be able to pick them up and use them? Like in HOTLINE MIAMI

4. LaneFox

LaneFox

Not built in, but you can definitely check what they're using when they die and spawn that weapon's pickup prefab as loot with a little code.

5. Thade2k

Thade2k

Ok, thanks for the fast answer. I do have a few more: apparently my character doesn't move if I don't have isKinematic checked, any idea why? Without it checked, the character moves in place.

Later edit: FIXED it, it was just editor versions through SVN :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  6. LaneFox

LaneFox

There are some bugs with it in the latest version of Unity but the animations are going to play either way so it'll still 'walk'.

7. Thade2k

Thade2k

Yea, there are a lot of bugs in the last versions. For example, with Root Motion checked, the character still walks standing in place, it doesn't move at all. Any ideas?

8. LaneFox

LaneFox

If you aren't using animations with Root Motion supported then ticking "Use Root Motion" doesn't do anything but disable scripted locomotion.

Best solution is to revert to an older version of Unity until I have time to go through Unity's release notes and see what broke. When I briefly loaded it up on 2017.2 there were some very bizarre things happening, so it will likely take some investigation.

9. Thade2k

Thade2k

Cool, I'll wait for an update then since there's no rush. Is there any way I can put a crosshair that can behave like the one in Alien Swarn? I couldn't find a way until now. Kind thanks for your answers.

10. Thade2k

Thade2k

Hey Deftly are you still working on updates? I was wondering if the enemies could have a hearing range, so they can hear the player from distance and move towards him. Also a way to make the enemies drop weapons when they die and the player could pick them. Please :D

11. karmik

karmik

Planing to buy it. Would like to check on the below pls.
    1. Are the bullets projectiles pooled
    2. Are the enemies pooled. Like I want 20 enemies to keep respawning after death from the pool and come at the player. I mean like deactivate and deactivate not destroy.
    Same for the projectiles.
    3. Is this a framework in itself or collection of scripts. I prefer to work with scripts since I am midway in my prj and want to incorporate features for deftly.
    4. Is TPS view possible
    5. Is Document included. Would be nice to have a look before purchase

12. LaneFox

LaneFox

1. No
    2. No
    3. Scripts
    4. No
    5. Getting Started doc is included

13. BilginSahin

BilginSahin

how long until the new version?

14. LaneFox

LaneFox

Not sure, the guy I hired to do the animations has been silent for a while and not responded to my recent mail. Lots of life-delays on my end also.

15. TechSins

TechSins

Any news on this?

16. LaneFox

LaneFox

Still waiting on animations.

17. TechSins

TechSins

Is that all you are waiting for everything else is done?

18. HCrowley

HCrowley

hi. i've had this for quite a while now, and played around with it (successfully) when i first got it, but never got round to turning it into any kind of proper game

so, i've just now loaded up the latest version with the plan of using it in anger, and i've hit a problem straight away

i'm running Unity 2017.3.0f3

i create a completely new project and import deftly. there are a few warnings, but nothing that looks show-stopping

i load up the Main Demo. press Run

all the keys (i'm controlling the character from the keyboard) seem to fire the expected animations. eleanor shoots, or swings her doo-dah, or reloads etc

HOWEVER, using the WASD keys does not make her move. she does a walk animation but stays in place

the same happens with the Non Humanoid Subject scene. the player robot animates but doesn't move around (although, the AI controlled bot does)

i've had a play around with various settings, but so far no joy

any suggestions welcome

19. TonyLi

TonyLi

^ I noticed the same thing in 2017.3, but I didn't have time to look into it any further. This was also in a new, empty project.

20. LaneFox

LaneFox

Yes, that is some confirmed issue on the latest version. Not sure what the cause is, I found a few weird issues with even weirder workarounds that only happen in the latest unity version and don't really want to spend time hunting them down.

Working on 2.0, when that's out the legacy version will be depreciated after a while with an upgrade option. Sorry it's taking so long though, this year was a bit of a train wreck.

21. TonyLi

TonyLi

Thanks for the update! Here's hoping 2018 is better all around, too!

LaneFox likes this.
  22. HCrowley

HCrowley

thanks for the info

however, you're still selling the version which you know doesn't work, on the asset store. if you're not intending to fix it, then the professional course would be to deprecate it right now, so that people cannot inadvertently purchase a broken system which is unlikely to ever get fixed

it pains me to do it, but i hope you'll understand why i have to revise my rating from its original 5 stars down to 1 for this current version

23. HCrowley

HCrowley

for info, i did some digging around, and i think this particular problem comes down to using MovePosition on the player's Rigidbody

changing it to move the player's Transform to the new position instead, worked for me

anyway, i simply changed line 201 in PlayerController to:
    if (!UseRootMotion) transform.position = (transform.position + movement * ThisSubject.ControlStats.MoveSpeed * 0.01f);

and now Eleanor's running around just like in the good old days...

24. LaneFox

LaneFox

MovePosition() plays nice with physics, transform.position does not.

If I depreciate it now I'm not sure if I can attach an upgrade price to a new product and I really don't want to have old customers paying full price. I'll have to ask the asset store guys about that. Either way, I've been pretty transparent with everyone about depreciating it.

25. HCrowley

HCrowley

well, if it's a choice between "plays nice with physics but doesn't actually work" and "doesn't play nice with physics but does actually work" then i know which one i'd choose, and particularly since you've already said that you're not intending to provide any kind of official fix for the problem

it's more than likely that there are some subtle implications to my solution in a real game situation, but in terms of running the demo it does at least make it playable all the way though without any obvious hiccups

as a small p.s. i will of course re-rate the system (because, bottom line is that it's a fun game template, when it's working, and i'm still hoping to use it for a gauntlet-em-up) if you change your mind and decide to properly fix it

26. LaneFox

LaneFox

Roadmap is to leave it as is since it works fine on the version it was released on, drop a new product in early 2018 and include an upgrade option for existing customers, then depreciate 1.x.

27. Jswift93

Jswift93

Hi all, looking for a bit of support on learning more about deftly.

I have noticed in the main demo scene that Eleanors left arm (with the pistol equipped) is very twisted and morphed into her own body to attach properly to the pistol. I too am getting this behavior on my models, and setting an elbow goal does not help. Is there anything that can be done about this?

In addition is there any more documentation or tutorials outside of the ik feature youtube video and starter documentation that you get with the product when purchased?

Thanks for your time.

28. LaneFox

LaneFox

Like the arm can't reach the goal? This can normally be improved with a base animation that keeps the shoulder more forward. If you have an animation pack with a pose that is setup for any kind of weapon it generally has the shoulder in a more aggressive position and it gives the arms and IK system more room to work with. Otherwise, there's really nothing it can do to make it look better since it's not a full body IK system that could take control of the shoulder position.

Kubold's Pistol pack works well, and there is an animation controller included if you have his pack.

There isn't, but feel free to post any questions here and I'll take a look. If you have more complex needs you can email directly.

29. Jswift93

Jswift93

So it looks like the projectile system only supports a single projectile, or single raycast with a line renderer. How would I go about making a weapon like a shotgun, which would have either multiple raycasts in a cone or multiple projectiles in a cone?

30. LaneFox

LaneFox

Since it just spawns a prefab you can put whatever custom logic you want on that prefab. For instance a create a custom projectile script that creates more projectiles going different directions.

31. Jswift93

Jswift93

Right, guessing that means I should set the projectile speed to 0 and write my own logic for the speed of those projectiles? Or if I keep the speed and simply clone the initial projectile with a different rotation will it inherit the speed of the base projectile from your script I wonder?

32. LaneFox

LaneFox

Either way would work, I would suggest making an inherited class and overriding what you need so its easier to take ownership and control of what happens. You'll get more familiar with the code that way and it'll probably help later when you want more custom weapons.

33. Jswift93

Jswift93

yeah, inheritance is probably a better idea. Maybe I am tired, but I really should have thought of that

LaneFox likes this.
  34. LaneFox

LaneFox

No sweat!

35. LaneFox

LaneFox

WIP Thread for 2.0

If you have questions about 2.0 put them in the new thread please.

36. claudiorodriguescampos

claudiorodriguescampos

I have some monsters that use legacy animations, is it possible to add them as enemies to use melee attack in Deftly?If yes, how I can do that?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  37. LaneFox

LaneFox

There's a demo scene using the spider from angrybots you can check out. You'll still need an animator component though.

38. claudiorodriguescampos

claudiorodriguescampos

I see the spider from angrybots, but it uses a weapon and only attack with weapon(shoots), how I can use the spider to do a melee attack?

39. LaneFox

LaneFox

The same way other characters do Melee - give it a melee weapon and set the parameters to use in the Animator Controller.

40. BilginSahin

BilginSahin

Looks like Deftly 1 isn`t in the store anymore. Will Deftly 2 be released soon? And is there any option to update?

41. wolfen231

wolfen231

Yeah, this kind of ticked me off. I hate when decent products like this get deprecated.

42. LaneFox

LaneFox

All software depreciates at some point, this is normal and expected. You should still be able to download it and use it on 5.x just fine, or 2017.x if you fix some bugs. If you're having trouble with getting it then let me know and I'll try to help.

There will be an Upgrade button on the new product if you own the original one so previous owners can upgrade to the new one at a discounted price. It's worth noting that D2 is made from scratch and has significantly more features than D1. In fact, the core top-down aspects are actually minor in comparison to the other systems. The new thread briefly discusses why we're moving forward this way. There's a Trello board to help keep people in the loop with progress but post on the new thread to keep updated.

D2 isn't ready for release, and the interest in having built-in Photon support is going to push the timeline out. Post questions on the new thread if you would like more specific updates/information.

Thanks for you interest.

43. Shizola

Shizola

This looks cool. As the first version is no longer available though, I'd definitely prefer Photon support to come later if it means a longer wait.

44. LaneFox

LaneFox

Photon integration already started. Basic network menu UI, connectivity, transform syncing, offline support and other misc is prototyped up. Really, networking as an afterthought is a scary thing. It requires a lot of source changes, more components and different project organization which that would mean breaking projects when updating.

There's not really a clean way to separate the networking from the source and making a networked branch means adding huge maintenance work for really no reason other than releasing earlier and doing that isn't in line with my standards.

The networked version supports offline mode out of the box with no issues so there's minimal downsides to you as a customer.

The new thread is here. Please continue discussions over there :)

digiross, Shizola and hopeful like this.
  45. lolclol

lolclol

why is this not anymore on the asset store? What happened ?

46. wolfen231

wolfen231

He deprecated it and started a newer version.

47. mehrankan

mehrankan

any word on when this is getting released? (deflty 2 that is.

48. LaneFox

LaneFox

No updates. I've put it on hold for a while since I have other priorities in life taking up my spare time and I don't have a lot of opportunity to work on it. It seems like a good time to wait, since ECS, Unity Networking and UIElements are all coming this/next year it would be somewhat behind the curve to release it this year. PUN 2 also dropped, but it's a fairly easy port. I keep an eye on those Unity features though. When they become stable I'll probably slot some time to regularly work on it again.

Shizola likes this.
  49. LaneFox

LaneFox

PRODIGY is emerging in February

We'll be running a beta until mid Feb, you can sign up here.

Roadmap:
    https://trello.com/b/B2b5D989/prodigy

Thank you for all of your patience and understanding through the process. My priorities had shifted off of development out of necessity for a good while and covid complicated things a lot in 2020! Eventually things stabilized and have really been in a great position for me to work on Prodigy regularly for the past couple of years! This has brought us to a release - but the really fun part is that along the way I found that with the system architecture being what it was I could easily separate some of the modules as separate products and have a product suite of lego-like tools!

Vault Core appeared as I needed a better way to database and design content in the first place.
    Vault Inventory spun off when I needed to manage ingame items.
    Vault Attributes stood up as a powerful way to handle stats and runtime modifiers for in-game Agents.
    That Hurt was a quick win with zero allocation damage pips!
    Stylized Character Pack and Quinn were both hired out so the Prodigy Demo could have in-house models/anims.

And now in collaboration with TriForge, AranchorVFX and Cafofo Studio providing some assets built in to get you started - we've got a stellar demo for you to play around with! Whether you're a hobbyist looking for a solid framework that does it all for you or you're a pro and need a highly extensible framework to build your next arpg on top of - you'll find it useful.

Prodigy is the sum of all of those tools and much, much more! Actually, all of those tools are included but you can own them as separate products for Free by claiming them on the Asset Store!

With a proper code architecture that allows you to steer your project into something special and unique Prodigy is a huge upgrade to Deftly! Content is almost entirely designed in the Dashboard now, instead of on your Prefabs, which is a huge workflow improvement. We hope that all of the improvements are worth the wait!

Prodigy will have a significant discount for Deftly owners. If you own Deftly you will see a reduced price for Prodigy on Day 1 of release - you can also get it today by taking advantage of the Beta before release!

Cleverous Discord

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    superwendel and StevenPicard like this.