Search Unity

Deformed and missing Parts from Mesh

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Asmodeus812, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Asmodeus812

Asmodeus812

So i have a mesh of a character which has an animation on. The animation is working fine in both maya and unity. Inside Maya , where i export the mesh from , the mesh is perfectly fine (with or without texture the model is complete and nothing is missing) , but in unity i get strange results. When loaded in unity the mesh has only its backside rendered. I export in FBX format with skeleton + mesh + animation. The animation is working fine even on the missing sides. From what i gather i can have some of the following problems
    - inverted normals
    - backface culling
    - missing polygon faces
    - bones , joints problem
    - etc.
    I apply a picture. The Mesh in unity appears the same with or without texture. I set the Texture to make my point more clear. As you can see from the picture on the left i can see the inside of the character's back side . Pic on the right is from maya !
    mesh_fail.png

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  2. Dantus

Dantus

Is it always looking like that in Unity? Are always the same parts missing?
    To me it looks more like the character is too close to the camera intersects with the near clip plane of it.

3. Asmodeus812

Asmodeus812

Yes its the same every time. Same thing happens in FBX Review (the program) forgot to mention in maya the mesh is double sided !

4. Dantus

Dantus

Could you post a few more screenshots from Unity where you have a look at the character from other perspectives?

5. Asmodeus812

Asmodeus812

Yea sure here you go

Also i notice that when i look at the object (no matter from which prespective or side) - the parts of the mesh closer to the camera are not showing. In other words if i look the object frontaly i see it's back
    Also If i import the object with no skeleton(and anim) i have no problems at all the object is solid and textured correctly. As i said before, its double side option is turned on in maya. Also if i export from maya and try to import to blender skeleton and animation seem to dissapear somehow ! mesh2.png

6. Dantus

Dantus

Try to select the model and in the scene view press the "F" key, such that the model is focused. Now rotate around it. Do you still have those missing parts now?

To me it looks like you have either a huge model or a very tiny model and what you see is just some camera clipping.

7. Asmodeus812

Asmodeus812

Yea you might be right in Maya the object is HUGE. Bigger than the example plane in maya. Sadly i can not resize the model in maya , as the scale attribute appears "blued-out" .
    EDIT: Tried what you said , even down-scaled (and up-scaled) the object nothing changes tho.

8. Dantus

Dantus

Try to move the camera further away from the character. If this minimizes the issue or resolves it, the cause is that the camera intersects your character.

9. Asmodeus812

Asmodeus812

Pulling the Cam away doesnt help

10. Dantus

Dantus

Don't hijack other threads! Create your own one and maybe share a little more detail, such that others can help.

Could you create a screenshot like the first one, then move the camera away, make another screenshot and repeat that a few times?

11. Asmodeus812

Asmodeus812

Yea i will do that , but here is what i noticed look closely at the picture
    Parts far from the cam are visible and parts closer to the cam are not meshtest.png