Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Defining your next game style based on user input

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jnbbender, May 14, 2018.

1. jnbbender

jnbbender

So I'm not in this for the money, complete hobbyist. Finished my first FPS about 6 months ago and had a lot of fun. I think it was pretty successful.
    I figured this time I'd write a TPS but when my son & his teenage friends found out they said they wouldn't be interested unless it was a FPS.
    "What about FORTNITE?" I said. "Well, that's FORTNITE", was what I got.
    Should I switch over and plan my game to be a FPS or plow forward with a TPS?

Thoughts.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Make what you want to make. Personally, I prefer to play FPS games, but I think TPS games are generally more fun to watch in live streams.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If Ford originally stuck to making what their customers asked for, they would have produced a better horse shoe instead of the Model T. Consumers of products are usually good at reviewing products, but terrible at predicting what would make for a good product. Build your game how you think it would play best. Then get feedback on it, rather than getting feedback on the concept before they have had a chance to see it.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. jnbbender

jnbbender

5. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I killed a rattlesnake a few years ago that was in the backyard and I figured since I killed it, I should eat it. So I made a stew and it was delicious, and then I decided to have some fun. I took some to my mother, didn't tell her what the meat was, and she thought it was delicious. When she found out it was snake, she freaked out hardcore and doesn't trust me with food to this day.

Point? People don't know what they like or don't like. They get used to certain patterns and prefer for things to not change. Want to do something different? Why not? I think the key is in making the different thing look enough like the old things that people are willing to give it an honest shot.

Ryiah, Joe-Censored and jnbbender like this.
  6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

That's pretty common. When I was a kid my brother's friend came over for dinner. He wasn't allergic to fish, but just claimed he absolutely hated it. We were having fish, and when he found out my mom told him it was "chicken fish". He absolutely loved chicken fish....

7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

What did you decide on @jnbbender ?

Which ended up being more important to you? Your desire to create a 3rd person game and be interested in creating the game, or possibly less interested in creating another fps, but knowing your son and his friends might want to play it?

8. jnbbender

jnbbender

I ended up going with the TPS. Now I'm trying to figure out a shooter/controller to utilize. I have tried some with the scenes I am committed to but these controllers are just too heavy to use. So I am considering rolling my own and using Unity's Third Person as a baseline.

9. Shiro_Rin

Shiro_Rin

Can't go wrong with building your own. I caved in one day and bought Opsive's Third Person Controller. It's actually pretty easy to use once you learn it. That said ,as a fellow hobbyist, I believe a lot of the joy comes in actually making the systems you use yourself. At least that's when I feel the most satisfied. I wish you the best on this game :)