Search Unity

Defining multiple Animations in FBX files with Blender

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Inxentas, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Inxentas

Inxentas

My intent is to have Unity import an idle and a walk animation from the same model file.

I can't for the life of me get this to work. I'm following the recommended workflow: making a new Action, adding it to a Fake User just in case, set up some keyframes, make a new Action... and this is where stuff gets wacky. I find it hard to explain, but basicly it comes down to this:

Instead of having a window somewhere that organises individual actions, there's NLA tracks and Action Stashes in the MetaRig. I know NLA stands for Non Linear Animation, but I'm still learning the basics, wondering where my keyframes went. When I select the previous action from the dropdown, there's no keyframes on the dopesheet. Yet the corresponding action plays. I now have 2 animations that have hidden their keyframes and only the first ever gets exported. It also seems I have two "action stashes" with children that have the same names as my animations.

It probably sounds familiar for anyone already past the struggle.

Can someone please direct me to a source that explains this process in a somewhat plain manner for Blenders latest version? Most tutorials I find are for an old version of Blender, so most solutions I've found speak about buttons that no longer exist or functions that have changed. The official documentation is rather useless as it merely explains "this is a thing that exists" and not "this thing works in this manner".

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  2. LateNighterDK

LateNighterDK

Hi Inxentas

Being new to Blender myself, I'm also struggling understanding the NLA editor.
    I have figured out though, that if you select an animation strip in the NLA window and (with the cursor over the strip) press TAB, the keyframes will reappear in editable mode in the Dope sheet.

BTW: I find it easier to use the Action Editor than the default Dope sheet editor. The Action editor allows you to name your Actions before pushing them to the NLA stack.