Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Defective Web GL Build?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProgrammerKev, Nov 7, 2018.

1. ProgrammerKev

ProgrammerKev

First of all, is the Web GL build process defective? I can get my game to run on a local host if I select the Build and Run option, but I don't get any build files to go with it. If I just build the game and open the index file, the browser complains that it can't support Web GL. This happens on Chrome and Safari on the Mac, and I can't find a way to enable it in the menu options.

I have pretty much tried everything to get my game onto my website, or at least host it on a third-party website. I tried adding the index, build and template folders to a repository on Git Hub, but no luck. I added the index file and a zip file of the build and template folders to Kongregate, only to end up with a black box where the game should be. Some sort of bug with Wooglie prevents me from logging in to attempt to upload a game.

Is there any surefire way to publish a Unity game on a personal page for Github, Word Press or Google Sites, or at least upload it to a third-party host like Kongregate or Addicting Games?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

If the browser is complaining that it can't support WebGL then most likely it's being disabled, but let's verify that. Go to the following website. If your browser is correctly set up for WebGL it will say so just below the tabs.

http://webglreport.com/

If it isn't enabled you might be able to turn it on by going into Chrome's flags and setting "Override Software Rendering List" to Enabled. You can reach Chrome's flags by entering the following into the URL bar at the top of the browser window.

chrome://flags

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Kiwasi likes this.
  3. ProgrammerKev

ProgrammerKev

My browser supports WebGL according to webglreport.com, but the browser complains that it does not when I try to load the HTML .index file.

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

What is the exact error?

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I had some issues with trying to run WebGL from a local host. I ended up just spinning up a random folder on my server and doing the testing from there.

I believe it was some sort of security issue that wouldn't let something in WebGL run locally.

6. ProgrammerKev

ProgrammerKev

I have finally found a site, simmer.io, that works. Too bad it doesn't share ad revenue.