Search Unity

Default VFX Graph is not appearing/rendering

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by BikaYoBadi, Feb 7, 2020.

1. BikaYoBadi

BikaYoBadi

Sorry for the new post with same problem. I just realized that there is a visual effects section. I am using 2019.3.0f6 (was the same result in 2019.3.0f5). I create a default visual graph, and i drag into scene then nothing happens. I started the new projects with the HDRP option.(I remember trying to import to a built-in renderer, wasn't working either). If i download VFX samples, they are working, but i can't make my own VFX Graphs. I tried to assign rendering asset, zoom in/out, decompile tons of time, changing the default textures, tweak the size options, update the graphic card driver (GeForce GT840m). I couln't find a list or somethings that can block the VFX. What can be the problem ?

2. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @BikaYoBadi ,
    Are there any console errors? For the VFX Samples, if you open and recompile a sample which you have confirmed is playing, does it stop to play?

I assume you opened and recompiled the default VFX? (we had an earlier issue where the initial effect needs to be opened once in a brand new project for it to compile the necessary shaders before it can play, though that should be resolved in the newest version).

And correct, the VFX Graph is intended to be used with HDRP and URP.

If nothing else works, we just released the 7.2.0 package, so you can upgrade HDRP to the latest and see if you are still experiencing the issue.

If you are, please file a bug and we'll take a look.

oguzkaancomoglu likes this.
  3. BikaYoBadi

BikaYoBadi

Thank you for the return.

There are no console errors. For the VFX samples, bonfire, flames and smokes are working. (I compiled and result is the same.) I am not sure about sparkles because it looks like it is working at the start, but it becomes kind of buggy and big, then disappears. Lightning is not working, same with the default visual effect graph. They are not appearing in their asset previews in the inspector as well. I tried these in Unity 2019.3.1f1 with HDRP 7.2.1.
    I also tried 7.2.0 yesterday as you said, and the result was the same.

I am really curious how people is not having this issue. I tried VFX Graph with an another laptop, thinking that my laptop has a problem, but it was the same on that laptop, too. Can this be a laptop issue or what could you suggest more ? Thanks in advance again.

4. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Interesting, perhaps you can file a bug from Help - Report a bug and attach your project so we can investigate?

5. BikaYoBadi

BikaYoBadi

I will try, but if you don't have this problem, won't it work in your pcs since i am just creating a new HDRP project ? Can this be any difference amonst different pcs while creating new projects ?

6. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

Hi mate I think we have a same problem.In my unity when I disable lifetime component vfx starts to spawning particles however when I enable lifetime component it stops spawning.Could you try to disable lifetime component on your vfx which you created by yourself.

eccece, alperki and BikaYoBadi like this.
  7. BikaYoBadi

BikaYoBadi

Nice catch. It is interesting that it works only if it is disabled. Removing is useless. At least, we know the problem now, but we need them to have a lifetime to keep it creating. I hope Mr. Vlad can help us.

Batuhan13 likes this.
  8. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

A few days ago I sent my repro project to unity report system from editor and they turned me.They said we looked your project project but unfortunately a bug didnt occur on your project.They wanted steps from me so yesterday I made took this video for them
    .I hope they will found a solution as soon as possible =).

BikaYoBadi likes this.
  9. BikaYoBadi

BikaYoBadi

I had got really excited for VFX as i was for shader graph. I also hope it can be fixed very soon.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Batuhan13 likes this.
  10. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @Batuhan13 ,

I just tried the same steps on 2019.3.1f1 / 7.1.8 and cannot reproduce the issues with the lifetime component.
    It seems that you and @BikaYoBadi might be experiencing something quite specific, and possibly hardware-related.

Can you both please share your computer specs and operating systems? Also, @Batuhan13 , can you please share the compiled VFX of the default system (so it has its compute shaders nested within the VFX asset) when it's not running (i.e. when you have Set Lifetime present) so we can compare the code?

Thank you both in advance!

11. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

Good morning Mr Vlad
    Here is my pc specs
    Cpu:Intel® Coffee Lake Core™ i7-9750H
    Gpu:6GB GDDR6 nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX1660 Ti 192-Bit DX12
    Ram:16GB (2x8GB)
    Here link of my default vfx
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N9FlFuCRh1r_7LWxOa5ksIV0F_DLnEzc/view
    In addition I am using kaspersky anti virus program can this bug occuring because of antivirus?Meanwhile I closed the antivirus but it is still same =/
    Have a good day Mr Vlad.

12. BikaYoBadi

BikaYoBadi

Hi,
    Intel Core i3 4100m
    NVIDIA GEFORCE Gt840m
    4 gb ram
    Windows 10 Single Language

@Batuhan13 Are you using a laptop ? I still suspect about laptops.

13. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

Yes I am using laptop but I think it is not about laptop I guess

14. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Great, thanks to both of you, we'll take a look!

Batuhan13 likes this.
  15. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi again,
    The shader code for the effects look identical (minus the capacity difference) to a default system for me, and the one with the lifetime plays fine on my machine.

Let's try something different. @Batuhan13 , in your video, when you opened the smoke or the fire samples, the effects broke. This looked a bit like a GPU sorting issue we had on OSX a while ago; could you try disabling the GPU sorting of the affected systems by selecting their output(s) and in the inspector setting Sort to Off?

Attached Files:

16. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

Wow thanks Mr.Vlad it works great =) but could I ask one more question.As you write it is a gpu sorting bug should I do somethink for fix this bug or should I wait for next upgrades Thanks again =).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  17. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @Batuhan13 , you are welcome! :) And yes, this was not a solution, just a temp workaround until we have managed to look into it. On that note, are your GPU drivers up to date?

And @BikaYoBadi , when you have a moment, could you please see if the disabling sorting as per my previous post resolves the issue for you? If so, we can hopefully narrow down the issue.

Also it seems like both of you are experiencing the issue with DX11; I wonder if it still happens on DX12 or Vulkan?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  18. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

Good morning Mr Vlad I hope you well =) .Today I checked my gpu driver update but my gpu driver had already update to latest version. So I changed my graphic api to vulkan but unfortunately same error occured again after that I changed my graphic api to dx12 but my unity crashed perpetually so I had not a chance to try that with DX12 .In addition I found one more bug .If I decrease spawn rate lower than ~5 when lifetime component enabled ,the particles become invisible and visible between short times like hearthbeat .Here I took a video =)
    Have a good day =)

BikaYoBadi likes this.
  19. BikaYoBadi

BikaYoBadi

I could get it playing with the sort off, too. Also, i have that under 5 particle problem.

20. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    BikaYoBadi and Batuhan13 like this.
  21. fikriemre

fikriemre

i have same problem. My gpu is gtx 2070 and my computer also monster.

22. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

VladVNeykov likes this.
  23. BikaYoBadi

BikaYoBadi

I wonder if there is anyone that can make it work normally with the NVIDIA laptop graphic card ? I am still suspicous Mr Vlad. :) (Also, the other laptop's graphic card was GTX 1050, which i tried)

24. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @BikaYoBadi,
    Our developers will be looking at it; it should work without having to disable sorting, so this looks very much like a bug.
    Please feel free to upvote the issue if you haven't already :)

Batuhan13 likes this.
  25. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

To anyone experiencing this specific issue, since it looks like it might be hardware-specific, if you could send a renderdoc capture, it will help our developers dig into it faster.

26. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

I have a similar issue with v8 in 2020 beta, debug logs:

Code (CSharp):
    1. [System 1]Update Particle.compute: Kernel at index (0) is invalid
    2. [System 1]CameraSort.compute: Kernel at index (0) is invalid
    3. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)
    Spamming the console... GTX 1060 with latest drivers.

27. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

I don't think other posts here mentioned console errors, so it might be a different issue.
    Is it only happening in 8.0.1 / 2020.1?
    Does setting Sort to Off fix it?
    Does the error disappear if you are not rendering any VFX?

28. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Well I returned to the latest Unity 2019.3 version, and with your answer upgraded it back to 2020 and the error disappeared... I would have loved to help find the correct repros

I can answer some of the questions:
    - Yes only in 8.0.1 / 2020.1
    - Did not try to sort on / off
    - The error appeared upon creating the asset in the editor. Either by selecting the asset (and seeing nothing in the preview window) or by dragging it into the scene. Both produced the errors

29. prak

prak

I'm having a similar issue. I added several VFX graphs in my scene and then I added the UPR. The particles all show until the UniversalPipelineAsset is set in project settings. The particles disappear. I can see an outline shape around the vfx graph objects but no particles.

no errors
    Sort off did not have an effect.

upload_2020-4-20_16-4-45.png

GeForce GTX 1060

30. singingyan

singingyan

you wont know it was a stupid mistake, I finally fix it after two days……
    go to your hierarchy-rendering setting-volume-weight, set the weight less than 1
    just too light to see it ……

31. fikriemre

fikriemre

Ok I think i find solution for me i updated HDRP and vfxGraph to 7.3.1 then started testing in empty project. I found genereted computeshaders has some parameters like _POSİTİON_ with capital i. Then I changed my regionformat to English (United States). Problem seems to solved for me.

witness_ and VladVNeykov like this.
  32. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

@VladVNeykov Good morning Mr Vlad as @fikriemre said it is looks like a system language I had a friend who had a same issue and after he changed its system language vfx worked. Currently I cant change my system language because my windows licence doesnt give a permission. I am planning to update my windows license to english in next times but when do you think this problem will be solved for every system language? Thanks again =). ps("@fikriemre and my friend was using Turkish system language before changing and I am also using Turkish system language")

33. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @fikriemre and @Batuhan13 ,

Thanks for these findings! If this is the actual issue, it might be easier to reproduce on our side. I'll update the logged issue to reflect this. Thank you both! And no, @Batuhan13 , you definitely shouldn't have to change the system language for this, it should just work :)

Batuhan13 likes this.
  34. witness_

witness_

This solution worked on my system too. Thanks!!

Batuhan13 likes this.
  35. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Not the first time i have seen it that conversion of the decimal point on code / shader generation has issues based on system languages where the host system decimal point character is not in fact a point but a "," like in german.
    (Shadergraph with gradients and the timeline playables asserstore package by unity for setting the color of timeline tracks)

VladVNeykov and florianhanke like this.
  36. idlenet

idlenet

This solution also solved my problem thanks. It is a issue about generated files have codes with Turkish capital "i" letter like #define _POSİTİON_ ....

Thanks!

37. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Batuhan13 likes this.
  38. MlleBun

MlleBun

Hi @VladVNeykov, sorry I didn't look at all the replies in this thread, so maybe this question hae already been asked. My particles can only be seen during runtime when the VFX graph is opened in the editor. When I close it during runtime, the particles dissapear. Reopening it make them appear again. Is this a known issue?

39. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

Hi @MlleBun is it working well in play mode or build ?

40. MlleBun

MlleBun

Hello @Batuhan13, I did not test in build yet, but it is working well in play mode at the condition that the vfx graph window is opened.

VFX_Particles dissapear.gif

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  41. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

Uh I see but unfortunately we didnt have a same problem maybe @VladVNeykov could help you =). Have a great day

VladVNeykov likes this.
  42. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @MlleBun ,

This sounds like a different issue than the one discussed in this thread.

The direct answer to your question as to why the effect might behave differently is that the VFX Graph compiles two types of shaders: runtime optimized ones (when the VFX window is closed, or in player builds), and edit-friendly ones (which allow you to tweak some of the variables in the VFX window and see them update instantly.) You can try forcing the VFX graph to output the optimized runtime version to see if the issue reproduces with the VFX window still open (it probably would):

If this is happening, please check the console for any errors. Also please ensure that the VFX Graph package is the same version as your URP or HDRP package, and/or that you are on the latest verified version.

If you are still experiencing issues, please DM me your vfx graph and I can take a look.
    Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

MlleBun likes this.
  43. maxwellboy63

maxwellboy63

44. PaulDemeulenaere

PaulDemeulenaere

Unity Technologies

paulstraw and elJoel like this.
  45. jean-rodrigues

jean-rodrigues

Hi, I am having an issue with URP and VFX both on version 10.2.2 with unity 2020.2.
    My VFX Graph was working fine prior to moving to URP (I was using the Standard one).
    The Particle doesnt render, even for the a default VFX created from scratch as shown below.
    I have an RTX 3080 GPU with latest drivers installed, running on Windows 10 x64.

Does someone know what may be causing this issue?
    Thanks

Particle.PNG

46. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @jean-rodrigues ,
    Hard to say without a bit more info. Are you getting any console errors?

Can you confirm that you have assigned the URP asset in Project Settings/Graphics?

Are you using the URP 2D Renderer? (full URP support (for compute-capable devices) is planned for this year)

47. jean-rodrigues

jean-rodrigues

Yes, I am using URP 2D Renderer. No errors in the console. And yes, I changed the renderer pipeline in the project settings.

Thanks!

48. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

I'm afraid URP support is still partial for the VFX graph and we currently do not support the URP 2D renderer. Support is planned for later this year.

49. jean-rodrigues

jean-rodrigues

Thanks, I moved to the default URP Forward Renderer and it seemed to work with everything I needed (VFX, 2D Shaders Graphs, etc). Many thanks!

VladVNeykov likes this.
  50. p3tr0m

p3tr0m

I just upgraded from unity 2020.1.5f1 to 2020.2.3f1 which gives me the same errors. I dont use the URP package, or have any render pipeline assets set under the player/graphics settings.

Edit: Its the switch from VFX Graph package 8.2 to 10.2.2

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021