Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Default Scene View Light

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Harry Tuttle, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Harry Tuttle

Harry Tuttle

Just out of interest; can anyone tell me what the settings of the default scene view light are?

E.g. it's position, colour, intensity, range etc.

2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

It's a directional light that is "parented" to the camera (basically, looks the same way as the camera). I think it's 0.75 intensity gray color.

3. Harry Tuttle

Harry Tuttle

Thanks Aras,

I'll try and pin it down to an exact colour - you wouldn't happen to know what the Ambient Light setting is for the default view too?

4. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Sorry, but can't you just look that up yourself? :p

Open Unity, make new project, check ambient light settings... (51,51,51).

5. Harry Tuttle

Harry Tuttle

The Ambient Light setting doesn't affect the Scene View when the default light is on and there are no other lights in the scene.

I'm trying to get the Game view to match the Scene View when the only light being used is the default scene view light.

The first attachment shows a scene view and game view with no lights on (the default light is off too) and the same Ambient Light setting - the game view appears lighter.

The second attachment is my best try so far. As I said above the default light is on in the scene view and changing the Ambient Light has no effect so all I can play with is the light settings.

Maybe this is a bug, or have I been drinking too much coffee?

Attached Files:

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Ahh, there you go then. Sorry 'bout that. :p :)

I don't know myself. I mean, how much coffee have you had? Ok, no no, clearly those are different and I don't know precisely why or what the ambient light in the Scene view is.

7. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Ok, right now (Unity 2.1) the default scene view lighting setup:

One directional light, looking the same direction as camera (easiest is just to attach light component to your camera). Color is 100/255 for each component (R,G,B). Ambient light is 0.2 for each component (R,G,B).

However: that setup is subject to change at any time.

8. Harry Tuttle

Harry Tuttle

Hi Aras

Thanks for that info. I understand the settings may change and this is not problem (this started only as a curious investigation because I liked the lighting in the scene view).

However, I would like to understand the reasons for a lighter game view in the first picture given that all lights (default or otherwise) are off and the ambient light is the same.

Thanks.

9. zero_null

zero_null

hello in Unity 5.6 how to do this ????
    Ambient light is no more. I know I am waking souls as this thread is about 10 years old.

Lohoris2 likes this.
  10. Elecman

Elecman

Same question here.

11. michaelday008

michaelday008

I came across this thread while trying to make an editor tool to render an exact screenshot of the current scene view. In the scene view, there is a light attached to the camera apparently, but in my script GetComponent/GetcomponentInParent/GetComponentInChildren finds no light, and my screenshots have no light.

I would like to be able to issue some API command to ensure the Render() call I make is using that default light that shows in the editor, but I can't find any way so far.

As a side note, the only way I was able to duplicate the settings was to use intensity of 2, not 0.75. Maybe they increased the intensity in recent versions.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  12. Mariusz-Born7

Mariusz-Born7

How this attached hidden light can be modified or brightness increased in HDRP?