Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

"Default-Particle" is... what?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Martin-Schultz, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

I just created a particle system and used as first test the standard "Default-Particle" material. Later I tried other materials, but those I didn't like and wanted to get back to the original default-particle, but that is not selectable. Looked into the Unity app folder, but didn't find it there neither. Also my attempts to "re-create" this particle material failed. What exactly is that for a kind of shader? I'd like to create a re-useable material that is just like the default-material. Any hints?

2. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Hi Martin,

The default particle material is "built in" and you cannot access it. The texture is just a simple white circle gradient (probably 64x64) the shader is likely the Additive particle shader.

Similar to how you cannot edit the default material on "built in" geometry primitives in Unity (e.g. Create -> Sphere), if you want to "edit the default" particle material, just make a new material, add your own little circle gradient texture, and use the 1st particle shader on it.

From there you should be good to go.

3. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Oh thanks a lot Joe, I totally forgot to update this thread. At least the material I found out. I wrote an editor script that extracts the material from the particle renderer and outputs it to the console. The material is:

Particles / Alpha Blended Premultiply

But great info about the texture, thanks, wasn't sure if there is something "special" to it.

4. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Ahh cool, the shader is not Additive but Alpha Blended Premultiply; good to know!

Together, we've figured out :)

Cheers!

5. pabu

pabu

I also found it weird that I couldn't go back to the default particle material. Not that I can't live without it. Just annoyed me a bit as a newcomer to be searching Unity (iPhone 1.6) for something that wasn't there. Evidently I wasn't the only one (actually found another thread mentioning it as well).

Cheers,
    P