Search Unity

Deep Profiling on android device with Unity 2017.4.22f1

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MichalDev, Jun 7, 2019.

1. MichalDev

MichalDev

Hey, anyone got some experience with deep profiling on mobile devices (for the time being only android)? To be precise I'm using mono scripting backend right now and I'm building apk with auto connected profiler but as I can see there's only normal profiling possible. I also tried with adb shell commands:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. adb shell am start -n com.company.game/com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerActivity -e 'unity' '-deepprofiling'
    but it didn't work because of some issue associated with activity not currently started (package name is provided properly). Any help would be really appreciated.

alexeyzakharov likes this.
  2. alexeyzakharov

alexeyzakharov

Did you try to have unity args in quotes, like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. adb shell am start -n com.company.game/com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerActivity "-e 'unity' '-deepprofiling' "
    The app should be built and installed on the device - I usually use Build&Run and then relaunch the activity.

In a meantime we are working on workflow improvements for deep profiling in players.

3. MichalDev

MichalDev

Hey, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately still the same problem:
    upload_2019-6-11_11-6-16.png
    Output is still coming from default profiler.

4. alexeyzakharov

alexeyzakharov

The warning says that the activity wasn't restarted - the previous instance of the app with old args was still running and was reactivated.

You need to kill the current instance with something like
    adb shell am force-stop <packagename>
    or through the UI

5. MichalDev

MichalDev

Oh, right. Totally forgot about that, thanks. Now it has better behaviour, intent is properly starting but it crashes after a while and after restart it starts without deep profiler attached.

6. alexeyzakharov

alexeyzakharov

do you have a crash stack to look into?

7. MichalDev

MichalDev

Gimme a sec

8. MichalDev

MichalDev

upload_2019-6-11_12-10-26.png
    So there's a culprit.Sorry for those red scribbles (mostly on package names) but I don't want to have any problems associated with NDA.

9. alexeyzakharov

alexeyzakharov

This looks like Mono-specific - the type initializer of a networking class failed.
    Not sure why deep profiler causes this - it requires method information, but when method is called the type must be constructed already.
    Could you please file a bug report so we can investigate if this is a profiler issue.

10. MichalDev

MichalDev

I would like to add that there's a lot of reflections going on in Networking.Client class but I can't get why it could be a problem. Without deep profiler intent is starting normally.

11. MichalDev

MichalDev

Ok, thanks a lot for your help.

12. alexeyzakharov

alexeyzakharov

Theoretically it could be some recursive class init call. The way deep profiler works is that Mono allows to instal a custom hook on method enter and leave. The profiler uses those events to record a method enter time. The only information besides time we use is a method name and class name. It shouldn't cause any recursion.
    Not sure if it is applicable, but is there an option for you to use the new Mono scripting runtime? Perhaps that could make a difference

MichalDev likes this.
  13. MichalDev

MichalDev

Yup, I will definitely check this out tomorrow morning. Thanks again!