Search Unity

Dedicated Unity service Server and Matching for a turn-based tactical RPG

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by zazoum, Jan 27, 2018.

1. zazoum

zazoum

Hello.
    I'm developing a tactical RPG like Disgaea or Fire Emblem for PC, with the exception it is online/2 person PvP so it needs a dedicated server to avoid cheating.

Steps of what I am planning to do:
    1) Player creates a map with my map editor
    2) Player uploads the map to Unity dedicated Server. I think it's it is cheap and comfy.
    3) Player's map is showing on MATCHMAKING list as a room for anyone to join and start playing.

I did some research and figured that Unet dedicated server does not support online matchmaking. Or does it? I'm a bit confused.

I need some clarifications:
    A) Is the above plan possible?
    B) I searched in the store for Matchmaking on a dedicated Server and ended up to "Master Server Kit" asset. Can this be the solution?
    C) Are Unity devs, (if the above plan is not possible) working on that direction, somehow for future releases?
    D) If I rent Unity dedicated Server Service bandwidth (which I really wish this to happen cause for a turn-based game is quite cheap) what are my publishing options? Can I distribute it through STEAM?

The peer2peer (server host AND client by one of the two players) is a NO GO!

Thank you in advance.

2. TwoTen

TwoTen

Unet doesnt offer dedicated servers. Only relays.

zazoum likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

This ^^^

The Unity Multiplayer Service primarily offers two services. Lobby/Matchmaking, and Relay. If you want a dedicated server you'll have to set up your own hosting. Though you might not need the Relay service if you set up a dedicated server, so it potentially could become a cost savings.

Typically you would use the Relay service when one of the players is acting as the game host (server/client at the same time), so that doesn't sound like it is what you are looking for.

There are no restrictions on distributing your game on Steam.

zazoum likes this.
  4. zazoum

zazoum

Thank you both for the answers!

Is there an example of dedicated server renting/owning out there. Do I use HLAPI, LLAPI, is the compatibility with Unity easy to overcome? If owning do I need to buy a physical machine and maintain it? Can I use Node.js and iosockets for the server? Is there an asset in asset store store that can assist my plan?

Which are my options? I'm in new waters here. Only used so far dedicated server for HLAPI Unet for LAN games. I want to transfer the same plan to online matchmaking and overcome cheating (one player being the Host and the client) as best as possible..

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Amazon EC2 Cloud is an example of a type of dedicated server provider (really a type of virtual machine or VPS) that you can rent. There are endless other providers, sizes, and most will have better cost structures than Amazon. Google for "VPS", "Virtual Private Server", "Dedicated Server", and similar to find more information and providers. No matter if you went with a virtual server or rent an entire hardware server, you have your own operating system as if the computer was sitting by your desk and can do whatever you want and install whatever you want.

Linux server prices are generally slightly lower than Windows.

I haven't researched implementing Unity's matchmaking service with a dedicated server structure, but I suspect you'll end up having to roll your own matchmaking system.

zazoum likes this.
  6. zazoum

zazoum

Thank you for the guidelines I'll do my research. Maybe post here again if I find a steady solution, maybe there are more devs looking for a similar type of plan.