Search Unity

Dedicated server support for multiplayer?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by atten0007, Oct 21, 2021.

1. atten0007

atten0007

Hi folks,

I'm currently making a game named "Planetsave" in Unity3D, that tells the player to save our environment. But currently I only can play my game in the singleplayer mode, I want to play it in the multiplayer mode. Now to my question: Is it possible to create with the Unity MLAPI multiplayer games with dedicated server support? I'm asking you this here because I want to make my game playable with friends.

Sincerely yours,
    Atten007

2. landinghand

landinghand

Hey, that is indeed doable. You could consider the possibility of using like Mirror or Darkrift 2 if you want to develop a multiplayer game.

3. luke-unity

luke-unity

Netcode for GameObjects (formerly known as MLAPI) allows for dedicated servers. To run a dedicated server you'd simply build your game as a "server build" in the build settings and run "StartServer" on the NetworkManager to start a server instance of the game.

4. Moridorn

Moridorn

How do you handle testing of the dedicated server? or hiding the server logic from possible decompilation of your assemblies?

#if UNITY_SERVER is definitely not practical for developing, but it's practical for hiding server side code in the client build.