Search Unity

Question Dedicated server accessing player data

Discussion in 'Cloud Save' started by RicardoAmores_MPG, Dec 20, 2022.

1. RicardoAmores_MPG

RicardoAmores_MPG

Hi
    I'm evaluating the use of UGS and I come up with a possible use case that I don't know if it is covered.

I want to create a client-server model using a dedicated server (DS) and allow the server to modify other players data

As I need to use UGS Authenticate in order to access the services, can I use Authenticate on the DS or should I just get the clients to send the PlayerId/JWS to the server to store it there so I can make request using the REST API?

The primary intention would be to make the server an authority to modify player data; however another useful use case is to make our server do "migrations" on all players , e.g. if you need to fix broken user data (a non-unusual use case scenario)

Thanks

2. MileyUnity

MileyUnity

Hey there,

This is possible through service accounts, and example can be found here for CloudCode. So long as you have the playerIDs and the server is properly authentication then this shouldn't be any problem.

RicardoAmores_MPG likes this.
  3. RicardoAmores_MPG

RicardoAmores_MPG

Thanks a lot, this was exactly what I was looking for.

4. Nocazone

Nocazone

Hi Miley
    As I understood the use case would be:
    On Client: Authenticate <-- which retrieves me the playerID
    Send it to the server (through connection approval?)
    Use the PlayerID with the Cloud Code and Service Accounts

Is there a way to check if the Player has a valid token? I get the tokens with authenticate. How can I validate if the token is valid on the server side?

kr
    Noc

5. MileyUnity

MileyUnity

Hey there, if you simply use the Cloud Code SDK on the client to call a function in Cloud Code then the authentication of the player will already be handled for you.

If you want to validate that a userID is valid through a service account call (e.g. a server to server call) you can have a look at the Authentication REST API here

6. francoisjjunity

francoisjjunity

Unity Technologies

7. CM_RDX

CM_RDX

Hello, I am currently trying to do this, hovever I'm stuck on a problem. I created a seperate thread for that, but while it's awaiting moderation, perhaps you can help me out here.

I followed the steps of creating a service account accessToken to use as authorization for my cloud save API calls. However when I try to GET or POST data I recieve the following error response:
    {"type":"problems/basic","title":"Error","status":400,"detail":"EnvironmentID not set","instance":null,"code":1003}

I tried to create the accessToken with both environment ID's in our project, but end up with the same result. I also couldn't find any clues in the API documentation.

Thanks

8. francoisjjunity

francoisjjunity

Unity Technologies

Hi VitaminBepis,

I just tested this locally to show the raw API usage in action.

Firstly, create a service account token using the token-exchange API like so. See the documentation in the previous link on how to create your ENCODED_SECRET below.

Code (Boo):
    1. curl -X POST -H "Authorization: Basic <ENCODED_SECRET>"  'https://services.api.unity.com/auth/v1/token-exchange?projectId=<PROJECT_ID>&environmentId=<ENVIRONMENT_ID>'
    (Please make sure of the parameters in the API call, we recently fixed a documentation bug where one of the '&' characters were missing before the environmentId parameter).

This will return a json object like so:

Code (Boo):
    1. {"accessToken":"<ACCESS_TOKEN>"}
    Then use that access token to call cloud save like so

Code (Boo):
    1. curl --location -X POST 'https://cloud-save.services.api.unity.com/v1/data/projects/<PROJECT_ID>/players/<PLAYER_ID>/item-batch' \
    2. --header 'Authorization: Bearer <ACCESS_TOKEN>' \
    3. --header 'Content-Type: application/json' \
    4. --data-raw '{
    5.    "data": [
    6.        {
    7.            "key":"KEY1",
    8.            "value": {
    9.                "weapons": ["sword", "mace"],
    10.                "food": [{
    11.                "BREAD": {
    12.                    "quantity": 1,
    13.                    "quality": 78
    14.                }
    15.                }],
    16.                "friendIds": [1, 2, 3]
    17.            }
    18.        },
    19.        {
    20.            "key":"KEY2",
    21.            "value":"string value"
    22.        },
    23.        {
    24.            "key":"KEY3",
    25.            "value": ["array", "of", "strings"]
    26.        },
    27.        {
    28.            "key":"KEY4",
    29.            "value": 42
    30.        },
    31.        {
    32.            "key":"KEY5",
    33.            "value": true
    34.        }
    35.    ]
    36. }'
    Which should then return a result that looks something like this

Code (Boo):
    1. {"results":[{"key":"KEY1","writeLock":"67837c8169b63adf85dd1cb5fee8c774"},{"key":"KEY2","writeLock":"f23cc43fe4077808eebefdf606b7ef5f"},{"key":"KEY3","writeLock":"c2f3b04e1ada0dcd5cd35e5ce00a270b"},{"key":"KEY4","writeLock":"d6ca07562f56e2bd520406222553f974"},{"key":"KEY5","writeLock":"b1b98500d4d049f0c6b702b856a11310"}]}
    The above pattern of usage is also described in the game server hosting documentation, but for calling multiplay APIs. The same pattern works for accessing Cloud Save.

Also note that we are working on a simpler mechanism to get an access token in a running dedicated game server in the near future.

The error you are seeing is probably because the access token you have created does not have a valid environment ID in it. You could DM me with the access token or decode it on the https://jwt.io/ website to see if the environment id is what you expect it to be.

Let me know if that still doesn't work!