Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedaled - WIP

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by yls, Jun 7, 2012.

1. yls

yls

Hello everyone,

So this post will be my diary about Dedaled (working title also). A dungeons crawlers inspired by Ishar (Simarils).

The main character is cursed to find one orb each day. So he goes to a maze that change very day with it's companions. You will find your ways thought the maze, fight different kind enemies, find many treasure, learn the rules of alchemy, craft new weapons and if you are lucky save your life until the next day.

Last build with a lot of errors :
    http://www.ylsphoto.fr/dedaled/WebPlayer.html

All feedback are more than welcome !

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. PixelWyrm

PixelWyrm

Seems like it could be good. Gameplay is smooth, but I think you should put in some lag time for the turning so that you don't turn too much if you keep you're hand on the keys. I like the slower progress though, adding things to the game gradually as you need them.

3. yls

yls

Thanks for your comments PixelWyrm.
    Good idea about the lag in turning. Strange how I experienced the issue, but just didn't come up with a solution ... (too many things to fix i guess). That why comments and feedbacks are really important to me. For the slower progress you think about levelling up ?

4. yls

yls

bump*

5. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

The movement drives me mad, sometimes it turns more than it should and i spin or go back the way I came.

6. yls

yls

I have just added a cooling delay after each move. What do you think about it ?

7. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

The whole game looks great i like the slash effect and also the spiders, they kind of get annoying if you get trapped and a load come after you. Can you die yet ? the health went down until the bar went all weird, either way its amazing :D

8. Lavidimus

Lavidimus

Always good to see old school RPGs being built

9. yls

yls

Yes you can't die right now. Your life just goes negative which add some weirdness to the interface :D. The spider is very nice but it's too generic. I will start to look for 3d artist soon (for the rooms and the monsters) and fix the athmosphere (I would probally goes for somethings more modern like SteamPunk).

10. MellowNinja

MellowNinja

Well its great, why steampunk may i ask ? dont get me wrong i love the look of steam punk, i would just like to know your intentions of your game :D

11. yls

yls

Well everythings is so Medieval Fantasy (Diablo, Wow, skyrim, etc ...) today. I show the proto to one of my friends and he show me Legend of Grimrocks which also take place in a Medieval Fantasy environnement.

Even if Dedaled won't compete with those games, I would like to offer a different kind of environnement (if possible).

and SteamPunk or somethings with a "shadow run" feel could work as they aren't overcrowed yet known universes !

But i'm open to somethings else ... The artist may have his point of view.

12. virror

virror

Nice, i like this kinds of games.
    There seems to be some bugs wit the movement, sometimes i turn instead of moving forward and sometimes i turn twice.
    Last guys attack seems broken.

13. yls

yls

The last guy is supposed to be a healer. It increase the life of other members of the group. Of course right now there are no class or choice and you can't die. And for the group so it's kinda useless... and there are no fx (sound or visual clue) to underline the increase in the life bar ... I will add somethings (screen turning a little blue ?).

The movement seems to be a big issue for sevral people. I really wonder how to improve the aspect. Right now, you just have to press the key once at the beginning of the movement and it moves. Then you have 1th of a second before you can move again. Do you have any idea ?

14. virror

virror

The movement itself works very good i think. Just some bug that makes me turn when pressing forward some times but pretty rare though.

15. yls

yls

Bump*

New features (logon system, bigger maze, ugly buttons, mouse only interface and much more !)

16. virror

virror

Nice update! I see you can die now, does the weapons change anything?
    But, movement is still buggy : p
    Also mouse button make you move back.
    A good idea could be to use a password field for the password.

17. yls

yls

The weapon have different stats ... but they aren't used in the actual calculation of the damages :p. So it's really no use right now (but very soon ...).

The mouse make you go backward if you click on the bottom of the screen. If you click on the upper part you will move forward. You can also turn that way.

I didn't know about the password field... It's gonna be my next change.

Thank for your help.

18. virror

virror

Ok, so thats how the mouse works, but its a bit annoying when you click to pick up loot and you move back : p

19. HCM

HCM

Thanks for the Props, Yls!

I didn't realize you were putting me on here as a contributor.

Suggestions concerning movement:
    When i press one of the movement keys, every once and a while it will apply that movement key multiple times, causing me to spin in circles, or run farther forward that I wanted.

Could you put a delay on the movement keys, telling the system to wate 30 frames (I think it would be one of those delta.time codes... but I'm not much of a coder...).

Also, maybe a mini-map that shows just where the the surrounding N,NW,W,S,SE,E,NE areas, and their state of occupencie (enemy, Treasure Chest, Door, etc...

I feel really anxious because I don't know where the Spider's are, and sometimes I would turn and there'd be one right in my business. (Maybe that's what you're going for.

I am very eager to see what you come up with, and excited to work with you!

20. yls

yls

More than 60 people have tried Dedaled :)

The new version will come next week with a lot of new features (strafing, better loot, full game save on the cloud ...) .

The game is already waiting from 0.1 second once you arrive on the new position ... so basically you should have 1.1 second to release your click. I will try to improve this part.

The mini map is a good idea. I may also do a symbols that show where you have been hurt (on you left or right)

What would you like me to develop first ?
    Pool

21. yls

yls

Big update this time !

The goal is to get out of the maze with hidden Orb. The Orb can be found in one of the box lying around the Maze.