Search Unity

Decouple head-tracking from character movement in third person?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Pingly, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Pingly

Pingly

The head-tracking being tied to character movement in third person is stomach-churning. If you glance backwards it sets you into a vicious spiral.

I've been digging through the scripts to see where it is being applied but have come up empty.

Could someone point out where I can find it?

2. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

Head tracking is applied to the camera directly, it's likely the third person controller script isn't working well with the camera movement. Are you using the standard assets third person controller? Maybe someone here has made a third person camera that they can share.

Official unity standard assets that work well with VR are in the works, but I don't have a timeline on them. Oculus will also be releasing a utility package for Unity 5.1 that will be on par with their previous offerings.

3. Pingly

Pingly

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I am using standard assets.

In fact, I built a bare-bones scene just to make sure I didn't have anything interfering.

I will go ahead and put together my own third-person camera.

I had just hoped I had missed where it was being applied and was a quick fix.

Thanks again for the response.

EDIT: An update. If I remove the MainCamera tag from my camera it stops moving my character with headtracking. It also reverts the character control to tank controls but I will create my own controller anyways.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015