Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Decoding Ambisonics from Unity for custom Loudspeaker configurations

Discussion in 'VR' started by MarcusMelcos, Jun 5, 2020.

1. MarcusMelcos

MarcusMelcos

Hello.

I've recently been researching into the capabilities of the Ambisonics Decoder SDK within Unity and supporting decoder plug-ins. My research so far has led me to believe that it's not possible to output to more than 4 loudspeakers from Unity - due to a known bug in its SDK, as well as binaural limitations from plug-ins like Resonance and Oculus.

I'm creating a VR application within Unity, and my goal is to allow users to input a custom configuration (both position and quantity) of loudspeakers through a UI and have the application run successfully through their own loudspeaker setup.

Does anyone know how or have any recommendations for achieving this? Is there a workaround to achieve this through the Unity environment, or is a separate middleware necessary? Also, is it possible to encode sound sources, 1st and possibly 2nd order, within Unity?

Thanks for all your help.

2. juanrusa

juanrusa

Did you make any progress? I'm currently working on the same as you, trying to play audio on a custom array of speakers.