Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Decal System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dantus, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Sarudan

Sarudan

Hi,

Is there currently a way to fade out decals using the free version, or would I need to upgrade to the pro version and use vertex colors to fade decals out?

2. Dantus

Dantus

You can only fade out all decal projectors of a decals instance at once with the free version e.g. by changing the material's color. But a fading per projector is not possible. For that case it is necessary to upgrade to the Decal System Pro.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  3. KyleHatch85

KyleHatch85

That certainly fixed the bug. And it allowed me to test your decal system in our main product. It works great, except for one issue. It will only appear if i manually go into the inspector and move the object's transform height up, if i then move it back to the original position it's still there. I tried writing a script that does the same thing but it didn't have the required affect.

Can you think of any reason it wouldn't display in the scene to begin with. The terrain is loading in from an asset bundle, the decals are already in the scene, would this cause an initialization issue?

4. Dantus

Dantus

The Decal System doesn't perform any automatic updates at runtime. All changes you want to have at runtime need to be scripted comparable to the way it happens in the bullet example scripts.
    At the moment it clearly seems too misleading because you can update projectors even in play mode. I'll probably disable this by default and let users who still would like to have it enable it in the preferences.

5. fairchild670

fairchild670

Hello,

I've been using the free version of the Decal System and it is exceptional! However I do seem to run into a nagging issue with transparent decals popping in/out or flickering when using real time shadows from various angles. Using a large offset seems to help, although there are visible gaps around corners (i.e. imagine a stripe of paint around the outside corner of a wall made with a decal).

In any case, I was curious what the new "Project After Offset" option does in the Pro version? Just wondering if this option could fix my issue.

Thanks!

6. Dantus

Dantus

@fairchild670, the "Project After Offset" option is unrelated to that issue. It only means that the uv computation is made after the offset.

As the transparent shaders which come with the Decal System don't support shadows, I am not sure what kind of issue you run into.
    Can you provide me a reproduction unity package, such that I can have a look on my own to see what is happening? If you can't, it is necessary to get a some more information: Which shader are you using? And which shader have the meshes onto which you project the decal? Which operating system are you using and which Unity version?

7. fairchild670

fairchild670

Hello Dantus - I sent a PM earlier with some info but wanted to reply in this thread since I think I've figured out why I was having issues with some particular decals in my project. Basically, it looks like setting the main camera's Near Clipping Plane value to 0.01 caused the decals to "pop/flicker". Not entirely sure why, but resetting it to the default 0.3 fixes it. I still wasn't able to replicate this in a brand new clean project, but it fixed my current project. The decals are now working perfectly!

Thanks

8. Seith

Seith

I had the same problem recently. It's a Unity thing. If the near clip plane of the game camera is set to lower than 0.1 then it introduces the flickering issue (could be the ratio between far and near distance). I don't think it's directly related to the Decal System; happens with anything.

The interesting thing is it works similarly in Maya; if you set the near-clipping plane of a camera too low it creates lots of problems with mid-to-distant geometry flickering like crazy.

9. Dantus

Dantus

@fairchil670: The issue you are encountering is most likely a numerical precision problem. I was able to reproduce it as follows:
    - Create a new scene
    - Set the near clipping plane of the camera to 0.01
    - Create a cube at the origin
    - Create a DS_Decals and move it to (1000, 1000, 1000)
    - Create a decal projector and let it perform the projection on the cube

As Seith mentioned (@Seith: thanks for the input) this is neither related to Unity, nor the Decal System. You can produce it with any 3d application if you are using a too extreme value combination.
    You have two options, either increase the near clipping plane value, though you have consciously set it to 0.01, so it doesn't seem like a good option.
    The other solution is to place the projectors closer to its DS_Decals game objects and use a few more DS_Decals if needed.

Hope this helps.

10. Dantus

Dantus

11. AnuvaTech

AnuvaTech

Hello! I am using free version of the Decal System and I have about 10 skinned decal projectors on my character to show different injuries inflected during the gameplay. It works perfectly in editor, but I am having some issue on mobile devices. The decals flicker on all mobile devices that I have tested the game on. Is this system optimised for mobile platforms? if yes, then can you point me the way to eliminate the flicker? My game is for Android devices (tested on Samsung Galaxy Mega and Galaxy Tab 2) I have checked with the issue above which is related to near clip distance, but I have it set to 0.3 and I am still getting the flicker. Thanks in advance! :)

12. Dantus

Dantus

I still don't consider skinned decals as 100% production ready, though I am constantly improving them. That is also mentioned in the documentation. I'll give you a quick overview of things you should do to at least minimize the flickering as much as technically possible:
    - Make sure the DS_Decals game object isn't offset from the character. Meaning, it has to be close in the range of the character. This is required for numerical precision.
    - Make sure that the skinned mesh renderer quality of your character is at most "Bone 2".
    - Make sure that the skinned decals' quality is two times the quality of the underlying skinned mesh renderer. If the skinned mesh renderer quality is set to "Bone 2", your skinned decals' quality is set to "Bone 4".
    - Make sure to use a shader that comes with the Decal System, or use a custom shader and add Offset -1, -1 to it.
    - If you still get flickering, it is unavoidable to use a mesh offset for the projectors.

Hope this helps

13. Dantus

Dantus

This answer if for the question asked at this place:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/195896-Decal-System-Pro?p=1353416&viewfull=1#post1353416

First you need to create a SkinnedDecalsMesh, add the projector and initialize everything properly. For all kinds of runtime updates you may use the bullet examples as reference implementation. In your case, just have a look at ColoredSkinnedBulletExampleCS. It already contains the vertex color.
    For the actual updating of the vertex color of existing projectors, have a look at BulletExampleVertexColorUpdateCS. This example only updates the vertex colors every few seconds, but you may as well use it for a vertex color animation.
    I am aware that runtime modifications of decals are not that simple. So don't hesitate to ask further questions or post code!

14. tajny

tajny

Thank you for this awesome script. I was playing a little bit with this and i have strange behavior.

When i configure decals + projector manually and set a middle angle it will cover floor and wall like so :

$dcA.jpg

but when i try to do this with bullet example + prefab it doesnt cover floor and wall anymore ;/

$dcB.jpg

What i'm doing wrong ?
    Thanks in advance.

15. Dantus

Dantus

There are two possibilities. In the case that both the floor and the walls are the same mesh, you need to increase the culling angle. Though, I doesn't look as if that would solve the problem.
    If the walls and the floor are separate meshes, you have do adjust the bullet scripts. The bullet scripts only find one target object onto which a decal is projected. You may try to use Physics.RaycastAll or Physics.SphereCastAll, because you need to find all the affected objects.

Hope this helps.

16. KyleHatch85

KyleHatch85

Hi, i had a look through the bullet example and tried to update the decals so they would display via code. I found that pressing the "update all projectors" button in the inspector had the same effect as i wanted, but couldn't find how that is coded (nicely hidden away in the dll i suspect)

Tried this; with m_DecalObject being my decals gameobject in the scene.

m_Decals = m_DecalObject.GetComponentInChildren<DS_Decals> ();
    m_DecalsMesh = new DecalsMesh (m_Decals);
    m_Decals.UpdateDecalsMeshes (m_DecalsMesh);

no effect. Any ideas appreciated.

17. Dantus

Dantus

All the "Update" buttons are nicely hidden because they are not suitable for runtime purposes. They are far too slow. If they would be available, they would be used and that's not a good idea. Technically they do exactly the same that also happens in the bullet examples.
    What you are missing in your code is to add the projectors to the decals mesh, then add all the meshes/terrains that are affected, perform the cutting, ... . You have to think of the decals mesh as a container where all the funky stuff happens, that's where you make changes. As soon as that is done, you just pass them the the decals.

You may find this post helpful: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/141792-Decal-System/page28?p=1247584&viewfull=1#post1247584

18. spiceboy9994

spiceboy9994

It worked!!! the only thing that I was missing is to tell the decal to actually Use Vertex colors. Thanks a lot :)

19. Dantus

Dantus

Awesome :)

20. spiceboy9994

spiceboy9994

Hey Dantus:

I have more less the same issues with the Decals but my requirement is different: I use two type of decals over the same model, I burn my model with some skinned decals and I cut my decal with other type of skinned decals. My requirement is to keep the cut damage always on top of the burn damage. So I ensured to add a bigger skin offset to my cut decals. The strange thing is that, even when I assign a super big value like 2 on the offset (just for testing purposes), when my model starts moving by physics, the cutting decals are displayed behind my burn mark decals or they just disappear where my burnmark is placed.

. Here are some facts on my scene:

I've updated my model quality to 2 bones
    Changed the quality of the Skinned decals to 4 bones.
    Changed the mesh offset for my projectors
    Changed the shader to be Decal/Mobile/Colored/Transparent

I think it its something related with the alpha channels of the materials (both are have a shader with transparency), and when I changed the burned marks material to be alpha cutout, the cut marks stay over burnmarks as it is desired. Do you have any advice on this one?

21. Dantus

Dantus

This issue is not related to the Decal System, but to all kinds of transparent objects in general. In general you should try to avoid transparent object on transparent objects in realtime 3d applictions. But you may try this:
    - Copy the decal shader you are using and rename it to something that makes sense.
    - Change the name in the shader as well. You find it in one of the first lines: Shader "HereIsTheShaderNameYouNeedToChange".
    - Find the line "Queue" = "Transparent" and replace it with "Queue" = "Transparent + 1"

Now try to use this shader. It will now be drawn after the other transparent shaders, meaning you are going to see it on top of the others.

22. Lovrenc

Lovrenc

I have vector in editor inspector, that changes scale of multiple decal projectors at once.

Code (csharp):
    2.                     Matrix4x4 worldToMeshMatrix = m_meshFilter.transform.worldToLocalMatrix;
    3.                     Matrix4x4 meshToWorldMatrix = m_meshFilter.transform.localToWorldMatrix;
    4.                     Mesh mesh = m_meshFilter.sharedMesh;
    5.                     for(int i = 0; i < tilesGroup.childCount; i++) {
    6.                         DS_DecalProjector projector = tilesGroup.GetChild(i).GetComponent<DS_DecalProjector>();
    7.                         Debug.Log(projector.gameObject.GetInstanceID());
    8.                         projector.transform.localScale = newTileScale;
    10.                         m_decalMesh.AddProjector (new WrappedDecalProjector(projector));
    11.                         m_decalMesh.Add(mesh, worldToMeshMatrix, meshToWorldMatrix);
    12.                         new DecalsMeshCutter().CutDecalsPlanes(m_decalMesh);
    13.                     }
    15.                     board.decals.UpdateDecalsMeshes(m_decalMesh);
    This works well and i can see decals scaling/shrinking in real time, but i seem to have broken something. When i then select one projector and try to move it in inspector, i get this message:

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[Edelweiss.DecalSystem.DecalProjectorComponent,Edelweiss.DecalSystem.WrappedDecalProjector].Add (Edelweiss.DecalSystem.DecalProjectorComponent key, Edelweiss.DecalSystem.WrappedDecalProjector value)...

Can you please tell me where i am off?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  23. Dantus

Dantus

It looks like you are not removing the projectors once they are added. That probably causes the issue.

However, as you do the modifications in the editor, there is a far more elegant way for you. Have a look at the class Edelweiss.DecalSystemEditor.EditorDecalsCreator. It has methods like UpdateAllProjectors and UpdateChildProjectors. After you have modified the scale of a projector, you can call UpdateChildProjectors and everything will be done automatically.

24. tajny

tajny

It works ! Thanks :)

25. PhoenixTalon

PhoenixTalon

Fantastic system! Very user friendly! It really adds a professional dimension to a game.

But I have a question. I looked through the thread and didn't see quite what I was looking for, so I'll just ask.

Is it possible to change the UV rectangle to another one, on the same atlas, with scripting? For example: I have Projector01 on the ground using UVRectangle01. When a player/objects interacts with a collider in another area of the room, I would like to change Projector01 to display UVRectangle02.

Is that possible to do with the free version? If so, what script and variable would I need to target with my collider script?

Thank you in advance!

26. Dantus

Dantus

You can only recalculate the uv rectangle with Decal System Pro, but you still need to do the complex runtime scripting. With the free version, it is necessary to remove the projector and add a new one with the desired uv rectangle. In order to modify a decals instance at runtime. you can have a look at the bullet example scripts or at this post: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/141792-Decal-System/page28?p=1247584&viewfull=1#post1247584 .

27. PhoenixTalon

PhoenixTalon

I'm not looking to recalculate the uv rectangle, and the bullet examples didn't help with what I'm trying to do. Nor did the link. I don't necessarily have to change the uv rectangle of the projector.

I suppose I could accomplish the same goal if there was a way to turn off one projector, and then turn on the other. In other words, Projector01 and Projector02 would be in the same position, but Projector01 would be enabled and Projector02 disabled. Once the trigger is activated, Projector01 would be disabled and Projector02 would be enabled. Is that possible? I already tried to enable/disable the projectors the usual way, but it didn't work.

Failing all that, I suppose I could just keep it the way it is now and have a whole bunch of decal parents littering up my scene, but I would prefer against it. The draw calls are killing me.

Edit: I'm just going to use the SetActive with the multiple decals, and just eat the draw calls. After really looking at the framework, I realize what I'm asking for is not possible because of the way the main decal handles the material. So, I would end up having the same amount of draw calls anyway.

Thanks for trying to help me, Dantus. I still think you have a fantastic tool, and I'm still going to use the hell out of it. :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  28. Dantus

Dantus

@PhoenixTalon, all kinds of runtime updates require you do perform that kind of coding. Enabling and disabling projectors is not possible. It means technically that a projector has to be added or removed. That's what the code I proposed you is all about. It demonstrates how to achieve runtime decal modifications. You can achieve the desired effect with the Decal System, but it requires you to do some decent coding.

29. zannghast

zannghast

Hi Dantus, first of all, great job on the Decal System! It's one of the most useful Unity Libraries out there (and it's effing FREE to boot!). 34 pages of thanks, praises, and continuous support should speak for itself. :D

I just have a reeeally quick question. (Forgive me, I was on page 18 of the thread, and after finding out that it is now 34 pages long, I simply must take the shortcut and ask you flat out straight hehe).

Would I be able to use the Decal System to project holes? Like, for example, I wanted to 'paint' a 64x64 texture with borders and a transparent middle (a bordered hole, if you will) on a terrain where the transparent middle would sort of act as a simple depth mask for that part of the terrain. Would I be able to do this straight out of the box? Thanks in advanced!

(btw, I've been able to tinker around the Decal System, and have integrated a slightly modified version of the Bullet Example for my scenes. Painting those decals are flawless! Now if I can just confirm if the system includes a way for me to cutout holes xD)

30. Dantus

Dantus

@zannghast, there is no direct support in the Decal System for projecting holes. But as you have the freedom to pick any shader you want, you may look for such a shader and simply use it. If it doesn't work, you may just post the shader here and I'll see what I can do.

31. sebas77

sebas77

Hello,

I am sorry if this question has been already posted, but I do not have the time to read the entire thread right now. My question is: could you please explain with some example the difference in practice between the pro and free? It is not clear from the first post in this thread.

32. Dantus

Dantus

33. castor76

castor76

Is it possible to change lightmap atlas size? We want to optimize lightmap size and numbers and we usually tweak objects lightmap atlas size per object to make sure we can fir them into one lightmap etc..

This is possible by default for normal objects but not possible with the mesh generated by the decal system. I think you should add this feature. It is essential.

If this is added as a Pro feature, we will buy the plugin.

Thanks

34. spiceboy9994

spiceboy9994

35. Dantus

Dantus

It would be awesome if I could control the resolution for one specific mesh renderer by script. But I could not find a reliable way to do that yet. The only option left seems to be to give users the option to make the mesh renderer editable. I don't know if this would give you an appropriate workflow.

Be assured, I am going to have a detailed look at it.

36. Dantus

Dantus

For testing, you may uncomment the whole surface shader, but leave the pass after it. Then check if this is the look you are getting on the older devices. If that is the case, they don't execute the surface shader and you need to find something more appropriate for those devices.

37. castor76

castor76

When we bake lightmap we always go through individual objects and set their scales manually. When we take mesh generated by Decal system and just drag in to the scene I can use Unity default object tab on lightmapping window to set the scale as usual. So this clearly is possible. I am not sure what is the reason you have locked this out... I mean , I can still do it, it is just that I have to disable the Decal system altogether and bring the mesh generated manually back to the scene.

So if making the mesh renderer editable (meaning it now is possible to change lightmap scale setting using Unity editor) that is perfectly fine for me.

Thanks!

38. castor76

castor76

I have also found a possible bug... where Decal doesn't want to project onto the Unity default plane model. Is this just me?

39. castor76

castor76

for some reason it is working now.. (for Unity plane) I am not sure why it didn't work before..

40. castor76

castor76

Sorry about the quick multiple posts in short session , but may I suggest that the algorithm for handling a perfectly flat polygons should improve a bit?

Decal projector is perfectly perpendicular to the plane with no vertices or edges inside the projector boundaries but it produces a bit too many polygons that I would generally like.. (to be acceptable for optimized game performance)

I am perfectly fine for all other situations where the mesh isn't flat or there are other geometry data are inside the projector boundries, like vertices or edges.

It's still far the best one in Unity so far.. what do you think?

41. Dantus

Dantus

Making the mesh renderer editable as an option is now on my TODO list.

The vertex count of the meshes produced by Decal System heavily relies on the vertex count of the meshes onto which they are projected. For that reason, you should never use the Plane, because that one contains far too many vertices. Instead you should pick the Quad. The decal projectors produce around 8-12 vertices on quads. Yes that is not the optimal case, but it is acceptable in most situations, as the individual projectors are still batched automatically.
    I have though about such an algorithm to even optimize the 8-12 vertices down to 4.
    Even if looks intuitively like a simple task, it is indeed a very complex one because there is a huge amount of variations to be respected and the algorithm should be pretty fast at the same time. With the variations I mean, that also the normal, tangent, uv and uv2 channels need to be taken into account, because the optimization only makes sense if they can be preserved.
    Long story short: It is on my radar, but doesn't have a high priority.

42. hammil

hammil

Sorry if this has been asked before.. Is there documentation on manipulating the decal system procedurally? I've found the VS generated documentation, but it isn't really clear what methods I should call to, say, add a decal system to an object, or create a decal projector

43. Dantus

Dantus

@hammil, do you want to perform modifications in the editor or at runtime? In the case of runtime modifications, you should have a look at the bullet example scripts which contain a lot of explanations.
    For editor modifications, you have to create the game objects and add the components as usual. In order to update the decal visualization, you need to use the class (Skinned)EditorDecalsCreator and call the methods like UpdateAllProjectors and UpdateChildProjectors. That functionality is not documented at all, because I never expected that anyone would need it. If you have any questions regarding that, I am open to answer them.

Hope this helps

44. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

I tried setting up a scene with a character in it and the Skinned Bullet Example after you replied to my comment on your YouTube video... It works :cool: You are so cool that you offer this for free :eek: Awesome work man!

Anyway, is it possible to increase that limit of 4 decals? I saw that I can only create 4 decals and not more, then I have to press C to erease them... I searched for a variable in the Skinned Bullet Example code, but the only one that seemed reasonable to me was projector limit, but that is set to 50 :S any ideas?

45. Dantus

Dantus

There shouldn't be a limit. When there are too many vertices for one skinned renderer, the Decal System simply creates another one. Though this is slow, but it shouldn't produce a wrong result. Can you share a screenshot and possibly a little more information?
    Just for your information: I will probably not be able to reply within the next few days.

46. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0q9nogo80vgug3y/Screenshot 2013-10-20 17.32.14.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wyx39abp8wq8mol/Screenshot 2013-10-20 17.31.08.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1mywx0o6c0q19y/Screenshot 2013-10-20 17.28.52.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f13eupfhc3nrcto/Screenshot 2013-10-19 13.07.08.png

The second image shows another strange bug: sometimes the decals get stretched towards nowhere (at first I thought the origin of the scene, but it isn't that).

I simply can't put more than 4 decals on it without ereasing them again... Sometimes also only 3...

47. Dantus

Dantus

To increase the stability, you should have one DS_Decals instance per character, such that the projectors are not too far away. This helps a lot for the numerical stability. It is also essential, that the skinning quality for the decals are two times as high as the one for the character. http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/class-SkinnedMeshRenderer.html
    In the second screenshot, you seem to have an error message that is related. But following the first two proposals should already help a lot and maybe even remove the issue. Also take care to use the newest version of the Decal System because there were several improvements in the previous releases.
    There may also be a huge issue, if you don't have weight painting on certain vertices.

In order to help you on that issue, it would be needed to get a reproduction, such that I could have a look at it to understand and resolve the issue.

48. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hm, stability has improved after I did that quality setting thing (set it to 4 bones), but the other problem is still here: I can't create more than x decals on a skinned mesh... I tried another character model: on that one the limit is 5, not 3... You said something that "When there are too many vertices for one skinned renderer, the Decal System simply creates another one."... Maybe this is the problem, since I can see the .asset file getting updated in the project view as I hammer left-click on my mouse, but the skined mesh only seems to render the first 3 decals. Look at this screenshot for instance:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2xpyuzqtfqt0wg/Screenshot 2013-10-20 20.07.31.png

49. Dantus

Dantus

You make things different compared to the example. You are not creating an instance of a prefab as it is made in the example. That seems to be the cause for your issue.

50. GlitchedPolygons

GlitchedPolygons

Hm, this confuses me. What prefab instance? You mean the one that should be assigned to the DS_SkinnedDecals Decals Prefab parameter to which I assigned the prefab with the Skinned Decals entity? (Sorry for the terrible English, my first language actually is German :S)