Search Unity

Decal Framework for Unity 3 is FREE and open source

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Frameshift, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Dreamora

Dreamora

static is also a key to problems though if you target osx and forget about it, as the ati drivers don't like high poly meshes and thats exactly what static batching creates

The problem itself sounds more as if the collider isn't where its meant to be ... did you setup basic colliders (all but mesh basically) for all the objects you made static?

2. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

So uh, where's the download link?

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

The free one is not available anymore. Its successor can be found on the asset store to buy

4. Mauri

Mauri

...what, frankly, is crap. A product, what was free in the past, should be free forever in the future too.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

You should read the whole topic before posting such stuff.

The product was commercial, then became temporally free when it went out of support and now has gotten a new major, supported version that works fine with U3 and is sold again.

it was nothing that was "free from the start and now costs" and even if: its the right of any developer investing time to ask for a compensation, you don't invest tousands of dollars worth in time to create a game that others will play for free, nor do you ask your boss to not pay you at the end of the month, so don't ask others for such stuff, especially not in such an unpolite way.

6. Mauri

Mauri

The only thing i know was that this framework was for free. It could be that this was sold in
    the past... but then this was occur in a time where i didn't know about this project.

I know its the right of any developer to make a product from free to payable and so forth, but
    then the developers dosn't need to be surprise that many customers might be going away.

Just my opinion.

7. grfxman

grfxman

It gets more confusing if you actually bought this item at the start. Because it is now in the Unity Store but I bought it before that so I have no idea how to update or even if I'm allowed to update. I sent them an email and a post and never got a response.

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

@grfxman: You can't update to it.
    Also you didn't buy whats on the Asset Store actually as Version 2.0 is on the store and was not sold outside of it. The version sold outside of it was 1.x, which then went free.

@mauri: it owuldn't have made much sense to remain around as it didn't work with U3. Thats among the reasons it likely was no longer developed further back then as U3 broke it quite a bit.

9. grfxman

grfxman

I'm aware of that but No Notifications to owners and No Upgrade pricing was just poor business sense.

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

They can't offer upgrade prices, unity store has no coupon system nor a "grant license" system

11. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

People looking for a decal system, can have a look at the Bootcamp -> Standard Assets -> Decal System
    From the header of Decal.cs :
    I cannot track this file. If someone manages to locate it, please tell me where it is, so it will be clear if we can use this and under which terms.

12. DireLemming

DireLemming

Does anyone have the gravity shader (even if it's broken) that came with an earlier version? There's not enough documentation to even guess what they were doing in their shader, other than the shader constants they set.