Search Unity

Debugging Native Crashes: Missing Symbols

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Diagnostics' started by ZebecGames, Jan 25, 2018.

1. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

Hello everyone,

I have been using Performance Reporting for some time now.
    For finding basic exceptions it has been great but I keep seeing seemingly random native crashes which as usual, I can never reproduce locally. My app is built targeting IL2CPP for both Android and iOS.

The reports are always "missing symbols" so I don't have any insight into the issue. Such as:

All my builds are created through UCB so I assume any symbols should be automatically transferred.
    The iOS one is weird because I do not use any lightmaps and thought I disable all settings related to lightning.

Is there something I need to do so I can get a clearer picture from the report? This is just a sample, there are many "Unknown File" crashes.
    Any insight into what is causing these issues? Especially the Android Lollipop crash.

Normally, I can figure this stuff out and I am willing to debug anything I can reproduce but I have hit a dead end with these. I'll take any tips/suggestions/information anyone may have.

Thank you!

2. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

The 3rd item for Android 5.0 is actually Android 4.3 (dalvik-heap error). Can't edit the post for some reason.

3. CDF

CDF

Same thing here. Performance reporting is simply broken and needs to be fixed. Symbols are not being uploaded/processed by Android builds. At least with IOS you can download the dSYM file. But even then, even after uploading symbols to process, nothing seems to change.

I have so many native crash reports with missing symbols. This is just a screenshot from the last day. If I leave this for a week. I usually end up with about 6 pages of native crashes, all with missing symbols.

Unity, are you guys aware of this issue? It's always been like this.

native crashes.jpg

RakivEldring and ZebecGames like this.
  4. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

Thanks for sharing! At least I am not alone.

5. CDF

CDF

Yeah, and as you said, I can never replicate any crashes on my test devices.

6. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

I've tried using mono and il2cpp, cloud build and local build, manually uploading symbols.. nothing works.

7. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

Thanks for contributing to the chat, now let's hope we hear from Unity. =)

8. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

I've done separate x86 and ARMv7 builds also, no luck.

9. ferretnt

ferretnt

I also have no symbols in any of my apps for native, crashes, just a pile of "missing symbols" crashes like below. The project in question is a Unity-only app (that is, it includes no external SDKs or other thirdparty native code, just C# Unity code.) The project is build by Unity Cloud Build with Mono for Android and IL2CPP for iOS, and uploaded to the app stores using those builds. I'm really not sure how to simplify this case further.

Native Crash - <symbols missing for uuid: a3d8672ba14ad199de7c22043ad3cb885ba0f06a> (Unknown File)

Thread 0 (crashed)
    0 libunity.so <symbols missing for uuid: a3d8672ba14ad199de7c22043ad3cb885ba0f06a>
    [and so on]

10. act10n

act10n

Same thing here

11. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

12. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

I've tried with Android Unity 2017.3.0f3 + 2017.3.0p3

- Cloud build.
    - Manual build and symbol upload.
    - Mono builds.
    - il2cpp builds.
    - Separate x86 and ARMv7 builds.
    - Internal build system vs gradle.

Nothing works.

13. Johnou

Johnou

We are running into the same problem with 2017.2.1p2, from ~/Library/Logs/Unity/symbol_upload.log we can see that USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN is never set. I tried manually setting this to my API key in the Unity console however it then logs 401.

time="2018-01-30T15:58:24+02:00" level=fatal msg="Please provide an auth token with USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN environment variable"
    time="2018-01-31T10:25:35+02:00" level=fatal msg="Please provide an auth token with USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN environment variable"
    time="2018-01-31T10:40:32+02:00" level=fatal msg="Please provide an auth token with USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN environment variable"
    time="2018-01-31T12:05:49+02:00" level=fatal msg="Please provide an auth token with USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN environment variable"
    time="2018-01-31T12:31:53+02:00" level=fatal msg="Please provide an auth token with USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN environment variable"
    time="2018-01-31T13:15:16+02:00" level=fatal msg="Please provide an auth token with USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN environment variable"
    time="2018-01-31T14:03:40+02:00" level=fatal msg="Please provide an auth token with USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN environment variable"
    time="2018-01-31T15:47:07+02:00" level=fatal msg="Please provide an auth token with USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN environment variable"

time="2018-01-31T16:50:49+02:00" level=error msg="Signed URL request failed with status: 401"
    time="2018-01-31T16:50:49+02:00" level=error msg="Signed URL request failed with status: 401"

14. ferretnt

ferretnt

I believe that the USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN issue only happens when you've signed out or lost your connection to Unity Services. Just going to the services window and letting it refresh its connection tends to fix it. I haven't seen that error since Jan 24th, when I do have vague recollections of it happening.

We should probably report a bug rather than posting on the forums. Would somebody who's made more investigation than me (frankly, I only CARE about it working on cloud builds, as that's where our retail builds are currently made) mind submitting a bug report and pinging back to this thread.

In fairness to the various Unity developers, it does seem reasonable that they have a process around bugs (which it would appear this is) rather than just ad-hoc replying to forum posts.

Also, we signed up for Fabric yesterday and switched to crashlytics so I'm not in a position to investigate deeper right now. I would obviously rather use Unity's built-in system, as we all know that the golden rule of Unity and Android is "one external tool works. Two (say, Fabric+Firebase) and you might just be able to talk them into working in one build config. Three is right out."

15. Johnou

Johnou

I'm not so sure that we have been logged out of UnityServices, I suspect it's something else related to our setup but I will check with the team tomorrow. Our build runs via Jenkins which executes a script that triggers the build like so..

$UNITY \
    -logfile \
    -batchmode \
    -nographics \
    -projectPath $PWD/$UNITY_PROJ \
    -executeMethod AutomatedBuild.Make_$UNITY_BUILD_PROFILE \
    -buildNumber "$BUILD_NUMBER"

AutomatedBuild.cs then configures the environment and invokes BuildPipeline.BuildPlayer.

16. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

I haven't really done any investigation except for ruling out different build configs like @SevenPointRed did. My expectation as a customer of this service is that if I build my app using UCB and integrate Analytics and Performance Reporting into my app then it should all work.

I can't tell if this is a bug, lack of feature, or by design. I am hoping someone from Unity can answer that for me, hence the forum post.

There seems to be some instability in Unity in general that leads to random crashes and no way of tracking them down and this seems to be prevalent on Android OS 5.0 for some reason. I have more users on 4.1-4.4 and 6->7 but the majority of my native crashes are on 5.0.

I don't have access to the devices so I am relying on the performance reports. For all I know there is a huge user base on these devices with custom OSes or rooted devices that cause the problem.

I'm honestly just getting frustrated at this point. This may be unreasonable but Unity is marketed towards Indies and I work alone. I pay money for a license and product and have certain expectations I am tired of tracking issues in the engine and services. It is not my job. They have vast resources compared to me they need to step up.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Menion-Leah and CDF like this.
  17. CDF

CDF

Where do you even submit bug reports relating to cloud build?

I agree with Zebec, Unity should be routinely bug testing these services, not waiting on people to complain about it.
    It's not hard to imagine or expect a Unity developer to visit this dark cobweb infested corner of the Unity forums at least once every few days. You know, just to check up on things. And maybe @ZebecGames is right, this could be by design, but who knows? Without any confirmation from Unity, we're all just sitting here twiddling our thumbs.

ZebecGames likes this.
  18. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

It might not be the best place to discuss this but I am a solo dev yet everyday I manage to:

1. Check reviews on Google Play & iTunes
    2. Check Reddit
    3. Check Twitter
    4. Check Facebook
    5. Check Emails (multiple)
    6. Check Forums

If any of my customers have written to me I respond right away. Often times they bash me for the game crashing on them. I ask for them to help me figure it out with not response (since I cannot reproduce them on my test devices). My app receives a bad rating and review for which I have no recourse.

Unity is insulated from this. I lose money, ranks, and reputation while I pay them monthly for the service and they collect ad revenue. I am completely willing to work with Unity on resolving these issues in any way that I can.

19. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi - apologies for the delayed response on this thread. There can be a few reasons for the "symbols missing" message. I've attached a document that we are publishing very shortly in our online documentation manual that explains this a little more and has some debugging steps.

Separately, we are currently investigating an issue with missing application symbols for certain Android builds.

Attached Files:

20. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

Thank you for the response! I am taking a look at the attached document. Much appreciated.

21. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

So I read the document and that definitely provides some context to the issue.
    The information for iOS is very interesting and I use BitCode so that definitely solves part of my problem.

Taking a closer look at my UCB log I see an issue similar to @Johnou

[Unity] DisplayProgressbar: Zipping symbols
    time="2018-01-30T20:53:11-06:00" level=fatal msg="Please provide an auth token with USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN environment variable"
    [Unity] Android PostProcess task "Zipping symbols" took 3208.099 ms
    [Unity] DisplayProgressbar: Performance Reporting Symbol Upload
    [Unity] Android PostProcess task "Performance Reporting Symbol Upload" took 29.405 ms

22. Johnou

Johnou

@johng_unity we are seeing the same problem with IOS builds, if you require further information please don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  23. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Looking into the issue:

time="2018-01-30T20:53:11-06:00" level=fatal msg="Please provide an auth token with USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN environment variable"

but don't have an update yet. will post as soon as I find out more about this problem.

ZebecGames likes this.
  24. ferretnt

ferretnt

Thank you so much for the feedback so far.

ZebecGames likes this.
  25. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

I've had a look at the pdf and it seems mostly iOS related, so just to add our issues are with Android.

ZebecGames likes this.
  26. ferretnt

ferretnt

Yeah, our issues seem to be Android too - the (relatively few) ios crashes we have seem to symbolicate OK.

(We do explicitly disable bitcode - partly because Crashlytics had previously documented issues with bitcode, and also because I really don't see the point in providing Apple with bitcode except in cases like tvOS where it's required. I mean, Apple is concerned with old apps NOT hogging space in the store, and makes continual changes to mitigate this - giving them the means to auto-update your app won't help you with long-tail revenue if it isn't worth your effort to submit new builds.)

https://docs.fabric.io/apple/crashlytics/missing-dsyms.html

The document is a well written explanation of how to use the ios tools, and hopefully helps anyone having ios issues.

27. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

Also the only plugin im using is google play games unity.

28. CDF

CDF

Thanks @johng_unity my issues are with mostly with Android though. Is there a way to generate the .so files on cloud?

29. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

There are multiple bugs/issues they are investigating on the Android side. It sounded like there was a general issue with "certain Android builds missing symbols" and another related to UCB (USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN error) - not sure if this one shows up in your log too.

Unfortunately, that means we do not have a solution in hand but at least we have confirmation it is being addressed. Hopefully we'll see a fix soon and not "soon".

30. CDF

CDF

Ah right, yeah I'm seeing that error on every Android build log.
    Sleep mode activated...

31. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi -

Specifically with regard to this Android build issue:

We've identified an issue and are working on a fix. Will post another update tomorrow.

32. ferretnt

ferretnt

Thank you very much.

33. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

UPDATE!

I've manged to get SOME symbols ( Still a lot of unknown )

I had to also manually upload Unitys symbols in:

C:\Program Files\Unity2017.3.0f3\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\Variations\il2cpp\Release\Symbols
    C:\Program Files\Unity2017.3.0f3\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\Variations\mono\Release\Symbols

I'm waiting on more logs to come through but I'm now getting reports I have never seen:

Code (CSharp):
    2. Thread 0 (crashed)
    3. 0   libunity.so                         core::hash_map<int, int, core::hash<int>, std::equal_to<int> >::allocate_nodes(int)
    4. 1   libunity.so                         core::hash_map<int, int, core::hash<int>, std::equal_to<int> >::grow(int)
    5. 2   libunity.so                         GarbageCollectSharedAssets(bool)
    6. 3   libunity.so                         UnloadUnusedAssetsOperation::IntegrateMainThread()
    7. 4   libunity.so                         PreloadManager::UpdatePreloadingSingleStep(PreloadManager::UpdatePreloadingFlags, int)
    8. 5   libunity.so                         PreloadManager::UpdatePreloading()
    9. 6   libunity.so                         PlayerLoop()
    10. 7   libunity.so                         UnityPlayerLoop()
    11. 8   libunity.so                         nativeRender(_JNIEnv*, _jobject*)
    12. 9   base.odex                           <unknown>

Code (CSharp):
    2. Thread 0 (crashed)
    3. 0   libunity.so                         BatchAllocator::Commit(MemLabelId)
    4. 1   libunity.so                         RenderDynamicBatch(GfxDevice&, RenderNodeQueue const&, BatchInstanceData const*, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int, ShaderChannelMask, ShaderChannelMask, VertexChannelsLayout const&, GfxPrimitiveType)
    5. 2   libunity.so                         RenderMultipleMeshes(RenderNodeQueue const&, RenderMultipleData const&, ShaderChannelMask)
    6. 3   libunity.so                         BatchRenderer::RenderBatch(BatchInstanceData const*, unsigned int, ShaderChannelMask)
    7. 4   libunity.so                         ForwardRenderLoopJob(GfxDeviceAsyncCommand::ArgScratch*, GfxDeviceAsyncCommand::Arg const*)
    8. 5   libunity.so                         GfxDevice::ExecuteAsync(int, void (*)(GfxDeviceAsyncCommand::ArgScratch*, GfxDeviceAsyncCommand::Arg const*), GfxDeviceAsyncCommand::ArgScratch**, GfxDeviceAsyncCommand::Arg const*, JobFence const&)
    9. 6   libunity.so                         ForwardShaderRenderLoop::StartRenderJobs(JobFence&, bool, bool, ShaderPassContext&)
    10. 7   libunity.so                         ForwardShaderRenderLoop::performRendering(JobFence&, ActiveLight const*, ShadowJobData const&, bool, bool, bool, Camera::RenderFlag)
    11. 8   libunity.so                         DoForwardShaderRenderLoop(RenderLoopContext const&, dynamic_array<RenderObjectData, 4u>&, CullResults const&, bool, bool, bool, Camera::RenderFlag)
    12. 9   libunity.so                         DoRenderLoop(RenderLoop&, RenderingPath, CullResults&, ShadowMapCache&, bool)
    13. 10  libunity.so                         Camera::DefaultPerformRenderFunction::eek:perator()(Camera*, RenderingPath, CullResults*)
    14. 11  libunity.so                         Camera::DoRender(CullResults&, SharedRendererScene const&, Camera::RenderFlag, Camera::performRenderFunction*)
    15. 12  libunity.so                         Camera::CustomRender(CullResults&, ShaderPassContext&, CameraRenderingParams const*, Camera::RenderFlag, Camera::performRenderFunction*, void (*)())
    16. 13  libunity.so                         RenderManager::RenderCameras(int, void (*)())
    17. 14  libunity.so                         PlayerRender(bool)
    18. 15  libunity.so                         PlayerLoop()
    19. 16  libunity.so                         UnityPlayerLoop()
    20. 17  libunity.so                         nativeRender(_JNIEnv*, _jobject*)
    21. 18  base.odex                           <unknown>

The bad news is that looks like unity bugs and I can't find any reports about it so far.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    ZebecGames likes this.
  34. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

Yeah I think you are right. It is possible when the hash_map grew it ran out of memory? Or perhaps some kind of access violation. I am not sure how those would manifest in the logs.

I build production builds using UCB so I don't have symbols to upload locally.

35. ferretnt

ferretnt

If this is an expected manual process (Unity can clarify, but I'm assuming that the bug is that NO symbols are being uploaded, and that when that is fixed these symbols will be uploaded automatically too) then theoretically, the symbols for the AndroidPlayer itself should be the same between UCB and Unity, provided that you're using the same versions of Unity, so in this case you should just be able to upload your local ones, assuming this works.

This is slightly complicated by the fact that there is currently a bug in UCB that prevents specifying explicit patch release of Unity 2017, so my cloud builds are built with 2017.3.0Final, but by local builds are 3.0p3, although there is nothing stopping me doing a sidebyside install of .0f if I wanted to upload the symbols for libUnity from that.

https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?995639_bqeqsdanjufvb7qr

36. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

The symbols should be automatically copied as part of UCB. This seems to be related to the "USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN" bug mentioned earlier.

Wait, so if I select use Latest 2017.3 that does not use the latest patch? Only if I select the patch explicitly which is currently broken? I definitely misunderstood what that setting meant then.

I use 2017.3.0p3 locally too so as a temporary solution I will SxS 2017.3.0 and grab the symbols. This is definitely not ideal but I am glad to have some kind of path forward.

37. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

I can't be much help with cloud build, our builds never work with cloud build, everything is local. I would try uploading the symbol files for Unity anyway.I seem to be getting mostly decent reports now.

Seems utterly stupid that Unity's own performance reporting doesn't have Unity's own symbols by default.

38. Johnou

Johnou

@johng_unity could said issue cause problems with IOS builds too? We are finding that running BuildPipeline.BuildPlayer from CI (see spoiler) is resulting in the same error message "Please provide an auth token with USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN environment variable".

$UNITY \
    -logfile \
    -batchmode \
    -nographics \
    -projectPath $PWD/$UNITY_PROJ \
    -executeMethod AutomatedBuild.Make_$UNITY_BUILD_PROFILE \
    -buildNumber "$BUILD_NUMBER"

39. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

Update:

For the cloud build/symbol upload issue:

The fix is going through the verification and release process. It requires an Editor patch and is not something we can fix on the service side. The likely ETA for the fix to be deployed on cloud build is 2 to 3 weeks.

@Johnou --- The issue you are encountering is an issue with building in batch mode and we have been able to reproduce the issue and are still investigating how to fix it.

Johnou and ZebecGames like this.
  40. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

Thanks @johng_unity!

41. ferretnt

ferretnt

Thanks @johng_unity from me too!

We'll likely sit with Crashlytics for a few weeks until this lands, then re-test Unity Perf reporting.

42. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

43. ferretnt

ferretnt

Hi All,

It's been a couple of weeks, and I'd like to get this thread to some kind of conclusion so that I can try again with Unity Performance Reporting.

Goal: Properly symbolicated reporting of native crashes, via a project built on Unity Cloud Build on both iOS and Android. Assume that our cloud build scripts explicitly disable bitcode so we won't have the recompilation issues that affect all crash symbolication on iOS.

From this thread it seems:

- There were some problems with uploading Android symbols from cloud build. This is fixed in some Unity version. The version is unknown. There may be other issues.

- Can anyone at least confirm which version yet (I know release processes are, err, processes) so that we can determine when to try again?

- Have Unity, internally, built and tested an iOS and Android app that crashes natively (via a forced crash in native code) and confirmed that the crash stacks are symbolicated in both cases?

- Do Unity, internally, conduct the same test when building the test app with UCB?

Also, it would be great if Unity could give some kind of statement of the kind of volume of professional developers using Perf Reporting for active crash monitoring, as the state of perf reporting as opposed to, say, Crashlytics, and the relatively low volume of traffic on the message board leads me to believe the answer is "not many, if any." It would be GREAT to have Unity performance reporting be our only crash reporting tool, as it saves all manner of futzing around overriding the Android activity for thirdparty solutions (which in turn becomes a hassle with other things that also want to override the activity...)

Additionally, given the aggressive approach to data collection taken by Unity with, for example, Unity IAP, I'm surprised a similar approach isn't taken to accumulating in-the-wild crash reports.

44. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

I think Unity might be ignoring this, I gave a workaround to get some symbols and they have not responded to it.
    My guess is they are going to redo the performance reporting completely as there are a lot of issues with it and a lot of missing/broken features. If they ignore this long enough they can push a new version out without having to bother with any fixes in the meantime.

45. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

For the cloud build/symbol upload issue:

The fix is still in the verification process and close to being available in cloud build.

@SevenPointRed The symbols you mentioned are supposed to be uploaded automatically. It appears that isn't happening and we are looking into why.

46. ross_unity

ross_unity

@johng_unity can you post here when this has been addressed in unity cloud build? Thanks

47. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@ross_unity --- yes, I will post when it is resolved. The editor fix has been made and close to being available in cloud build.

48. johng_unity

johng_unity

Unity Technologies

@ross_unity @ZebecGames @ferretnt @CDF For the Android cloud build/symbol upload issue:

This issue has been fixed and is available in cloud Build for the following versions of Unity and after:

2018.1.0b8, 2017.3.1p2 and 2017.2.2p1

49. ferretnt

ferretnt

Excellent, thanks for the confirmation. We've moved all of our existing products to Crashlytics now, but our next new ios/Android product (~2wks) will use the Unity crash reporting flow. We'll post in a new thread if it's not producing native symbols via cloud-created builds.

johng_unity likes this.
  50. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

Any news on this? still doesnt work in 2018