Search Unity

Debugging is CURRENTLY BROKEN in MONODEVELOP. THIS IS SERIOUS.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by gooncorp, Oct 4, 2014.

1. gooncorp

gooncorp

"Attach to process" and "Add breakpoint" is still broken in source debugging in Monodevelop 4.0.1 and Unity Version 4.5.4f. I repeat this is broken. I get the error "Could not connect to the debugger" everytime this process is tried even using Monodevelop to launch Unity. It works some times and fails others and currently there are many threads of end-users posting hacks to fix this which is even more aggravating. This issue needs to be brought to the attention of the developers and fixed because it is still a problem in 4.5.4 contrary to the changelog which says it is fixed.

2. Evil_Echo

Evil_Echo

Agree. I was demoing the debugger to the OP and he consistently could not get the debugger to bind to the Unity process. Embarrassing for Unity and not a good way to convince a skeptical person that source-level debugging is better than debug/print statements.

Could someone at Unity, developer/support/goodwill ambassador, sit down with Mr. Gooncorp and help get things straightened up so he can use the tools that Unity is supposed to provide.

3. perplex_bcn

perplex_bcn

I also have the same problem. No way to debug with Unity 4.5.4

4. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

@gooncorp - please can you record a video showing the problem you have, and then submit a bug report from the editor. This will capture all the data our QA team need.

shkar-noori and Evil_Echo like this.
  5. Evil_Echo

Evil_Echo

Thank you for looking into this, Graham. We'll get you the information ASAP.

6. gooncorp

gooncorp

Thanks for the response. Yes I'll try to get one uploaded very soon, cheers.

Espen - Gooncorp

7. gooncorp

gooncorp

8. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

What's the bug report number?

9. gooncorp

gooncorp

I just submitted the bug report. Unfortunately as I submitted it I did not see any kind of number. I submitted it through the Unity Bug Report "built in" Editor feature. I looked up the following as well and this is what I found. After having read it I was unable to "Quote my case number in the notes" and still don't really know what that means; admittedly this my first time doing this sort of thing. I tried my best to find the bug report number and I am sorry but I failed and was unable to find it. Maybe there is another way for me to submit it. Let me know what I can do. Thanks in advance.

Espen

Submit the crash report
    The good thing is that the PS Vita will try to help, by providing the possibility to submit a crash report.
    So, when you see runtime error causing a crash please help us (and you) out by sending the crash report to us.
    It would also help us if you could add a note to the crash report (anything that you think might have caused the crash to happen)
    - or if you've already submitted a bug report / repro project you can quote the case number in the notes.
    This is an excellent way to covering all bases, and will help us cross reference the crash report with the case number.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  10. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

It's 638518.

11. gooncorp

gooncorp

Thanks, I was just doing some more reading on it and next time I submit one of these reports I should be squared away with the case number.

12. perplex_bcn

perplex_bcn

Well, this is embarrassing...
    Don't know why, but the Editor Attaching checkbox was unselect!
    Now, I can attach to process and debug. Hope this helps.
    Captura de pantalla 2014-11-07 a la(s) 11.38.56.png