Search Unity

Debugging Builds

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by BasketQase, Mar 24, 2011.

1. BasketQase

BasketQase

Hey fellow developers,

I've got one of those mystical "works in the editor, but not in a standalone build" situations with a (previously shipped) project I'm porting to Unity3 for later iOS and OS X app store distributions. Does anyone have tips for debugging built apps?

Some things that might help: Do the print() or Debug.Log() functions print to somewhere from standalone builds (like a log file or to console or something)? What kind of information can I glean from attaching the built player to MonoDevelop (my attempts have given me no information at all from a developer build)?

I've looked through about a dozen other posts of "works in editor, not in build" problems, but in most of those cases the issues had some sort of error somewhere or the poster had some small specific piece of script that wasn't working that they were then able to fix for the build-specific problem. I've got no errors or warnings in the editor and no errors in the editor log after a build. Where the code stops working is during a fairly complicated loading and setup process, making it extremely difficult to isolate the hang up without at least some logging tools. Everything else up to that point seems to work (including several Level-loads, sounds, getting info to and from the PlayerPrefs, and the game's menus).

Thanks,
    ~Rob

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

in build settings, enable the debug option, then build and then you can hookup monodevelop to it.

The unity manual contains more informations on the steps

3. BasketQase

BasketQase

@dreamora:

Yes, I've done that, but, as I stated previously, MonoDevelop doesn't appear to actually show any information. What should I expect to see from a standalone player attached to MonoDevelop in this way?

~r