Search Unity

Debug In GearVR

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Roiw, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Roiw

Roiw

Hello everybody,

I believe that while working Oculus DK2 its possible to press play in the editor and see my game through the oculus.

I wonder if there is such a thing with the Gear VR. I've spend the whole day searching for a way to set it up but I couldn't find. Could anyone point me to the right direction?

Best,

Lucas

2. Ignacio-Liverotti

Ignacio-Liverotti

Unity Technologies

Hello Lucas,

Unfortunately there's no way to do that. When using the Gear VR, you need to deploy the application on the device itself. What I'd recommend in order to optimize the development workflow is for you to write some helper scripts so that you can control the camera using the mouse and try to develop most of your application using the editor, deploying the app from time to time in the Gear VR in order to check that everything is still working.

Best,

Roiw likes this.
  3. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Since the title of thread lists debugging you should be able to via http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/AttachingMonoDevelopDebuggerToAnAndroidDevice.html

Obviously the debugger will hit breakpoints on your PC so the headset should be off but should let you debug. In editor as Ignacio said isn't possible though. On other platforms they have the Unity Remote app to help with this but I'm not sure it would be much help for Gear VR if they added it, since again your headset would likely be off since you are juggling two different devices.

Roiw likes this.
  4. Roiw

Roiw

Thanks a lot for all the responses. Couldn't make it work with Unity Remote.

I will try some helper scripts. Thank you all,

Best