Search Unity

dearVR 3D audio reality engine released!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dearreality, Mar 21, 2016.

1. sonicviz

sonicviz

tcmeric likes this.
  2. tritommind

tritommind

Hello, DearVR!

I tried contacting via fb and email, since I'm in a real rush here, but will also try here :

If I use your Unity Audio Native Reverb- plugin, will I be able to export my project to PC, Mac, Android, iPad and XBOX ONE?

3. sonicviz

sonicviz

4. dearreality

dearreality

Hey seasand,

The processing of Ambisonics input is definitely planned.
    Concerning the Ambisonics output:
    We already implemented it in our dearVR VST/AAX/AU plugin versions for DAWs, and the support for the Unity Asset is not a technical issue from our side.
    Unfortunately, we are dependent of the Unity Audio Pipeline, which doesn't provide the necessary infrastructure at the moment.
    We do have the feature on our roadmap as well.

cheers,
    Simon

5. dearreality

dearreality

Hey sonicviz,

We would like to apologize for not getting back to you and are very sorry to see you leaving.
    We had some high priority issues which needed our full attention, but we are now back with more manpower and time to finally answer your questions:

1/2. On the basis of all the user experience reportet to us, we can say that the following factors stand out in our advanced binaural rendering:
    - very realisitic reverb
    - high quality binaural rendering with exceptional localisation of height differences
    - real time auralization with dynamic creation of reflections based on the room-geometrics
    - additional features like occlusion & obstruction of audio objects
    these factors lead to an increase of the localisation-ability, a dynamic adaptation on room acoustics and a coherent matching of the acoustic expectations, resulting a more believable experience.

3. As we didn't receive a lot of user requests for Master Audio or Fabric Support, it has not been tested yet.
    However we are aware of the possibilities and it is on our roadmap.

We wish you all the best for your future projects

cheers,
    Simon

6. dearreality

dearreality

Hey tritommind,

As we already discussed via facebook,
    dearVR supports PC, Mac, and iOs.
    Unfortunately, PS4 and XBOX One is not supported yet, but we are working on it.

cheers,
    Simon

7. phillee53

phillee53

Hi Dearreality,

Is FMOD supported through DearVR? Other implementations such as Oculus and FB360 have FMOD plugins but doesn't look like you have a solution to this yet?

Cheers,

Phil

8. dearreality

dearreality

Hey Phil,

Unfortunately, there is no FMOD support yet, but we are aware of the possibilities and a dearVR-plugin is on our roadmap.

cheers,
    Simon

9. therewillbebrad

therewillbebrad

Hi I was curious if this integrated with master audio at all?

tcmeric likes this.
  10. dearreality

dearreality

Hey Brad,

Unfortunately Master Audio is not supported yet as our focus currently lies with our integrated VR workflow.
    But we will keep that in mind for future developments.

cheers,
    Simon

11. shanageek

shanageek

Hi Dear Reality

I`v got couple of questions.
    I started using DearVR in Unity 2017.3.1f but the Unity Editor continuously crushes in random occasions.
    It mostly happens when I press play on the editor. Then the editor crushes straight away.

Do you have any tips on how to avoid it?
    I attached the error log in case its any help.

Also, do you have any plans on updating DearVR for Unity 2018?
    We are planning on moving to 2018 one its stable but kind of worried that DearVR might have problem since it hasent been updated lately.

Thanks

Attached Files:

12. dearreality

dearreality

hey shanageek,

1. I just sent you an email concerning your error

2. Yes, we're currently working on an update for dearVR which will also support Unity 2018. It will be available as soon as we conclude development and verify it in the testing stage.

cheers,
    Simon

13. shanageek

shanageek

Thanks for quick response!

14. tcmeric

tcmeric

Master audio please. I also own your asset but don't use it for this reason.

15. dearreality

dearreality

Hey tcmeric,

We’re sorry to hear that the master audio support became such a critical factor for you.
    Please note that the asset is primarily built to support Unity natively and we didn’t state in the description that dearVR supports any other third party asset.

No doubt, we would love to have the integration with Master Audio ready right now. As mentioned before, it is on our roadmap. But at this point we can’t give out any time estimations though, due to the ongoing development of even more important features.

Please use dearVR natively in Unity until the update which will officially support Master Audio is released. If you don’t like to do so, feel free to write us a personal message https://dearvr.com/support/ and ask about a refund.

We hope that you rethink your rating, according to the Unity use case.

Best,
    Achim

16. JulianKS

JulianKS

Hello,

I am currently experiencing a very odd error. I was working on a project that I started in Unity 5.6.
    I recently found out that there was a completely new client/version of Unity (2018.2.0f2), despite me deliberately "checking for updates" within the 5.6 client when I started the project and having it tell me that things were up to date.
    So I'm a little annoyed with Unity for not actually updating when I asked it to check for updates.
    I had no idea that the Unity client wouldn't know about major client releases.

Regardless, the issue is that post-upgrade to 2018.2.0f2, my project is no longer firing. It's a 100% audio-based project with dearVR handling all of the audio clips. I have not had a single problem with dearVR since my last posting on this thread a year ago, until I went and did this upgrade. I even tried re-importing dearVR, to no avail.

Strangely, the only audio that fires is the very first clip, and it only fires when I have the object selected that holds the sound in the Hierarchy, upon hitting the Play button. But even then, it only plays that one sound clip before stopping. If I don't have that object selected, nothing happens.

I have everything mapped properly as well (everything has an audio source/clip, and the script in question also has the objects and clips matched as well).

Thank you for any assistance or insight you can provide!

17. dearreality

dearreality

I’m sorry you have to deal with this. Your problem sounds a lot like a known issue which is related to the “spatialize” checkbox of the Unity AudioSource component.

We will take care of this issue following the new update of dearVR along with many other improvements of the Engine.

For now, please make sure that the "spatialize" checkbox is disabled for every Audio Source component like this:

spatialize.png

Let me know if this helps,

All the best,
    Simon

JulianKS likes this.
  18. JulianKS

JulianKS

Hey Simon,

That did the trick, thank you!

So until there is an update for this, would you be able to explain what the adverse effects are (if any) from disabling Spatialize? I was completely expecting to have the binaural audio effects break, but I cannot discern any major differences after disabling it.

Just curious, thanks again!

*edit*
    Side/additional question, but I noticed that "spatialize" gets auto-checked when I start playback for testing. Is that normal, despite it being unchecked on the object? Everything is working great now that I unchecked it on all the objects, I just saw that and thought I'd update the post to ask.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  19. dearreality

dearreality

Hey Julian,

Thanks for the update.
    Just like you pointed out correctly, the "spatialize" box gets auto checked on playback by the dearVR Engine.
    Checking the box before playback leads to problems because the Engine expects it to be unchecked in the initial state.

As I mentioned, we will take care of this issue and provide many other improvements of the Engine with the new update of dearVR.

all the best,
    Simon

20. nova234

nova234

Hello Simon,

I want to know if DearVR is save to buy for Unity 2018 (no errors). We have same fear because the last update of your product is long ago.

mfg
    Nova

21. dearreality

dearreality

Hey Nova!

I'm happy to hear about your interest in dearVR and I understand your reservations.
    The current version has been tested with Unity 2018 and works like a charm.

cheers,
    Simon

22. RPowers

RPowers

Hi,

I've been using DearVR for a while now and it's been working great, but I've recently come across an issue when switching my scripting backend to il2cpp. When building I get a bunch of LNK2001 errors (see attached). It's not finding some external symbols like SetRoomDistancesIOS. I'm guessing these symbols are somewhere in your dlls because when I remove all DearVR folders from my project I'm able to build with il2cpp.

Attached Files:

23. velifake

velifake

Hi,

Thanks guys for good work. This is stellar plugin as you know. Just a couple of thoughts...

I am curious to know why non spatialized (no dearVR source) audio sources cannot be used for dearVR mixer reverb in unity. It is not always good idea for the end result to spatialize everything. If you think about wind ambience i.e. It's is not one point source like birds for example and it works better half 2d and half 3d non spatialized sound... (Just a one example using for many other things as well. All dynamic objects are spatialized ofcourse). I need to blend these things to get good results but it is disappointing that I have to use unity reverbs for non-spatialized sources and dearVR reverb for spatialized. The result is not very consistent as you might guess.

Another thingie, if using internal reverb in dearVR source with __no reverb__ mode it crashes the latest unity 2018.2.6f1

24. dearreality

dearreality

I’m sorry you’re experiencing this problem.
    This is connected to the DearVR manager which imports some iOS specific functions that don't exist on the Windows in the linked libraries.
    We are working on this issue and will fix this in a coming release.
    Until then, you can work around it by removing the references manually in order to be able to compile on IL2CPP on Windows.
    We will keep you updated on this issue.

25. dearreality

dearreality

Hey velifake,

We're happy that you like dearVR!
    Thanks for pointing that out. Of corse, mixing ambience with object based audio makes sense.
    We will definitely discuss this in the team.

best,
    Simon

26. peeka

peeka

Can you post the steps to remove the reference? I am also running into this issue.

Thanks

27. Needle0

Needle0

I second this. Searching for the affected function names (eg. SetRoomDistancesIOS) do seem to bring up occurrences of them in files like Temp/StagingArea/Il2Cpp/il2cppOutput/Bulk_dearVR_Components_0.cpp, but nowhere in non-Temp directories. Apologies for not being well versed in IL2CPP's inner workings, but what exactly I need to do in order to make the build succeed? Even if I modify the files here, wouldn't kicking off the build from Unity Editor overwrite them again?

28. dearreality

dearreality

Hey peeka and Needle0,

Please excuse the late response.
    Unfortunately, the issues with the IL2CPP backend are indeed more complex and require a change in the architecture of the dearVR manager. We are working on this and will release a full Update for dearVR soon which will solve this issue once and for all.

Thanks,
    Simon

RPowers likes this.
  29. angiemm

angiemm

Hey @AtheneNoctua - you were/ are basically trying to do exactly what I am:

"processing sound on tracks in Reaper and using the Vive controllers to position and mix in Unity"

In fact, I have rendered stems out of Reaper so don't even need the DAW in the chain, and would just like to position sources via a headset in Unity, because positioning on the screen is insane-making. Why? 360 video. Matching sources to video events, combined with a need for interactive synthesis (otherwise wouldn't be in Unity). Never again (or at least not until the reaper---> unity integration in Dear Reality exists, or ambisonic decoding is better in Unity). Can you update as to what worked for you? OSC? An audio connector? The need to get a reaper session to time sync with a unity event (for the interaction) combined with having no trial version of this asset is putting me off even starting.

30. RPowers

RPowers

Do you have an estimate for when this update will be up on the store? Fixing the IL2CPP bug would be very helpful and am very much looking forward to this fix.

31. peeka

peeka

Found a bug with dearvrsource, happens in the demo too, this bug is affecting my setup with sound pool, here is a simple way to reproduce it in the demo:
    1. Disable playonawake for all audio sources in dearVR_Source_Internal, dearVR_Source_Send and dearVR_Source_PerformanceMode
    2. now in the Game View, switch around different test modes and press play, or hit G/F to switch sound, notice there is no sound playing UNLESS the gameobject is selected in the hierachy.
    3. Highlight the gameobject in the hierachy, and now the sound is playing only for the highlighted gameobject

So this bug is annoying, sound will not play unless Play On Awake is on or the object is selected in Hierachy.

UPDATE: in performancemode it seems even with DearVRPlayOnAwake is on, the sound will not play at all, unless the object is selected in hierachy.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  32. dearreality

dearreality

Hey peeka,

This bug is a known issue and can be solved by deactivating the "spatialise checkbox" in the Unity Audio Source component.
    It will be fixed for good in the coming update.

best,
    Simon

33. o3a

o3a

Hi, I sent this message originally via email and then via your website support form, but haven't received a response for either, so I'll try posting here.

I'm experiencing this bug, where audio doesn't play when the 'Spatialize' checkbox is checked on the GameObject, in Unity 2018. It's the issue where the sound would only play if I had the GameObject selected in the hierarchy in Unity Editor.

I saw in this forum that the bypass for this issue is to uncheck this checkbox. This fix does work for me in some instances, but not in others. We have a complicated project with a lot of audio prefabs instantiated dynamically and also loading and unloading of scenes and asset bundles. When unloading a second scene and going back to the initial scene that was loaded, the second time the dearVR audio sources no longer play back, even when this 'disabled checkbox' fix is applied.

In this forum, you mention that this issue will be fixed permanently in the next release of dearVR. Could you please provide an ETA for when the next version of the dearVR plugin will be released?

Thanks for making a great plugin,
    Alex

34. peeka

peeka

I am still waiting for the il2cpp link error fix? it's a very simple fix on your end can you just give us a quick patch for the link error at least?

35. ncho

ncho

Can anyone compare the usability and sound of this to Resonance?

36. sonicviz

sonicviz

37. HsinChien

HsinChien

It seems that if I disable the audio source component then enable it, sometimes the sound will play, but sometimes it doesn't. (with DearVRSource component )

38. shanageek

shanageek

Hi there,

We are currently trying to port our PC/Oculus Go game that uses dearVR to PS4 and having quite few problems with it so I was wondering if there are any ways around it.

first, when trying to build with IL2CPP, it fails due to ios features in dearVR.

second, to avoid the above, we tried to build with Mono witch worked. However, it fails at initialization with DearVRManager:SetStreamingAssetsPath().

dearVR is great and we defo want to use it for PS4 version too if possible so any help or suggestion would be great!

peeka likes this.
  39. peeka

peeka

any update on il2cpp fix, I finished creating my game and il2cpp bug haven't even been fixed.

40. JulianKS

JulianKS

Hello,

I currently have an Array of DearVRSources that I am randomly selecting a clip from to play, using an integer as the randomizer.

However, I have other audio that plays immediately after this array, but I need it to wait until the array is done playing, since each audio has a variable length.

When I try "yield return new waitForSeconds(DearVRArray[selection].Length)", it doesn't work. It's telling me that the ".Length" function isn't supported by DearVRSource. That's fine, and I tried making a new regular AudioSource and even a new AudioClip that will hold the value of DearVRArray[selection], but then it errors telling me I can't convert a DearVRSource to AudioSource or AudioClip.

How can I get an Array of DearVRSources to wait until the chosen clip of the Array is done playing?

Thank you!

41. dearreality

dearreality

Hey Julian,

Sorry for the late response.
    You can't convert a DearVRSource to a native Unity Audio Source because you need both of these Components on your GameObject working together. The native Audio Source holds the Audio Clip and the DearVRSource takes care of the 3D Spatialisation of the native Audio Source.

Why not try something like this: (example code only)
    - get your GameObject which holds the native Audio Source Component and the DearVR Source Component (for example by name):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. object = GameObject.Find("yourGameObjectName");
    - get both your DearVR Source Component and your native Audio SourceComponent:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. dear_vr_source = object.GetComponent<DearVRSource>();
    2. audio_source = object.GetComponent<AudioSource>();
    - access the length of the underlying Clip through the native Audio Source by accessing the "length" property of the Audio Clip:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. length_of_clip = audio_source.clip.length;
    - call "waitForSeconds" with the length of the clip:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. yield return new waitForSeconds(length_of_clip);
    - you can use "dear_vr_source" to call any dearVR parameter changes you might have

I don't know the context of your project, but you might also want to look into
    PlayOneShot()

This method can also be called directly on the DearVRSource Component. (see Unity Documentation)

Let me know if that helps!

Best,
    Simon

JulianKS likes this.
  42. JulianKS

JulianKS

Hi Simon,

Thank you for the response!
    I actually have already been doing it this way without issue.

The problem is that I'm currently using an Array this time, not just a single one-off sound, and randomly playing a sound from that DearVRSource Array.

**EDIT**
    I figured out a solution to my own problem that seems to be working!
    It revolves around making a second array -- this time with the type of AudioClip -- that holds the exact same files as the DearVRSource Array (make sure to map them in the Inspector!). Then using an AudioClip variable to retrieve the random clip, and then use the .Length script on that variable within WaitForSeconds.
    Both the second Array and the variable need to be AudioClips in order to successfully pass the clip between them. If they're not the same type, it won't work.

First, establish the following:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public DearVRSource[] voiceArray;
    2. private int voiceArraySelect;
    3. public AudioClip[] voiceArrayClips;
    4. private AudioClip voiceArraySelectedClip;
    Then, in the IEnumerator:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. voiceArraySelect = Random.Range(0, voiceArray.Length);
    2. voiceArraySelectedClip = voiceArrayClips[voiceArraySelect];
    3. voiceArray[voiceArraySelect].DearVRPlay();
    4. yield return new WaitForSeconds(voiceArraySelectedClip.length);

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    dearreality likes this.
  43. o3a

o3a

Hi, I'm running DearVR v1.2.1 with Unity 2018.4 LTS and would like to know if you're planning on adding Linux support anytime soon? We're planning to port our Windows app over to Mac, Linux and Android and I have it running, but I see that DearVR doesn't work on Linux at the moment.

I remember reading in the forums in a post over a year ago that you said you had DearVR running on Linux internally, but I don't see that it has been released yet. Would it be possible to receive access to a pre-release version that works on Linux, or do you have plans to officially support Linux soon?

Thanks,
    Alex

44. localprojects

localprojects

Hi,

Is support for this plugin still active?

Im thinking of buying it only if it will work on newer versions of unity.

45. dearreality

dearreality

Hey localprojects,

Please excuse our absence from this Forum.
    The support for dearVR UNITY is very much active. Please use our email support which you can reach directly at support@dear-reality.com any time should you need help.

dearVR UNITY was successfully tested with Unity 2019.1 and is fully functional.
    There is still a general update in the works too, involving further optimizations.
    So stay tuned for new developments!

Best,
    Simon

46. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Hi @dearreality , now that you release the C# source code I'm interested in your plugin.
    However, I have checked the package in the store and it doesn't seem to include the source anywhere, only precompiled DLLs.
    If I purchase your plugin, where can I download the source?
    Is the C# source code native to Unity or does it have to be compiled externally?
    I have read up there in this thread that consoles are not supported. Is there anything in the code that prevents it to run on consoles or is it just that you haven't compiled DLLs for them? (if that's the case, having the source code I could make it work)
    Thanks.

47. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Oh... I see in the manual that you actually only give access to the EDITOR source code, not the RUNTIME source code.
    So still using DLLs for runtime.
    This should be specified in the asset store page, since you're not actually including the source code.
    Deal breaker. Not interested anymore.
    I dodged a bullet there.

hippocoder likes this.
  48. sonicviz

sonicviz

Where does it say that?
    https://lm.dearvr.com/files/dearVR_UNITY_manual.pdf says

"We replaced our closed managed plugin DLLs with the open C#-Source files in our plugin. Due to this change, upgrading a project from earlier versions to v1.5.0 needs some more adjustments than just importing the new unity package. Please see section 7 for more information on how to upgrade your project"

Can DearVR confirm?

49. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I did contact them by email.
    This is their answer:

50. sonicviz

sonicviz

Thanks.
    I don't see the big deal tbh.
    Unless you are a dsp specialist with a Phd in HRTF algo's (which I *almost* did once) having the source isn't going to do much for you. This is non-trivial stuff. Although I always go for source code from 3rd party plugins etc now, I can also understand why in this case they would keep source closed as it's a competitive area and they may have some particular IP to at least make it difficult to reverse engineer.

I've been using Resonance up till now but picked this up for $99 off the website so will test it out for the claims.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020