Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

dearVR 3D audio reality engine released!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dearreality, Mar 21, 2016.

1. BusterTheWizard

BusterTheWizard

Try something like "Your DearVRSource".source.clip. I don't have DearVR imported anymore so I can't check, but I believe there is something along those lines. If not, have AudioSource variables for the AudioSources the DearVRSources are working with. So basically, you use DearVRSource to play the clip, but to access the clip you do yourAudioSource.clip.

So like:
    someVariable = yourAudioSource.clip.length;
    yourDearVRSource.DearVRPlay();

2. dearreality

dearreality

@JulianKS
    Did you check the DearVRScriptLoad.cs in the our demo scene in the asset?

3. summitgamesentertainment

summitgamesentertainment

I have been closely working with sound engineer in India and have successfully able to integrate the framework and it works fantastic for our windows platform but on "android" it doesn't play at all.. the demo scene gives a screeching sound on gear VR android. tried all sort of matrices still no good. I think the demo scene must work. Please help.

My Config:
    Windows 10
    Unity 5.6 0f3
    Oculus Framework 1.14
    Dear VR version 1.1
    Samsung Gear VR Phones like s6, s7 or s7 edge.. tired all didn't work on any.

Thank you for your support. :)

4. JulianKS

JulianKS

So I believe I've been able to work through most of the issues. However I have 1 more point/problem/observation, and then 1 more question:
    1. Sometimes when I am doing testing, the audio laginess problem returns for no discernible reason. It's not usually until I have done multiple testing sessions within one instance of Unity. Restarting the Unity client solves the issue. But it makes me worried that this will be a similar issue for the users when they actually play the finished product repeatedly.
    2. How can I swap out the audio clip associated with a single DearVRSource? I have a part of my project that chooses from (literally) 1 of 100 audio files to play, depending on criteria. I really don't want to make 100 different DearVRSources and 100 subsequent GameObjects to hold those audio clips for the DearVRSources to link to. I'd much prefer to make 100 AudioClip variables in my script and assign the clips to one single DearVRSource, to match each case. Since I can't use .clip for DearVRSources, how can I do this? I tried making AudioClip variables and then doing DearVRSource = AudioClipVariable but that didnt work.
    Thanks again!

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  5. dearreality

dearreality

Hi @JulianKS
    Can you log anything while this happens? Does it occur more often, when using more dearVR sources?

In the dearVRscriptLoad.cs we do it this way:

AudioSource myAudioSource;
    DearVRSource myDearVRSource;
    myDearVRSource = gameObject.AddComponent<DearVRSource>();
    myAudioSource = myDearVRSource.audioSource;
    myAudioSource.clip = myAudioClip;

alternative having the script on your object (see dearVRSwitchClipsAndPresets.cs)

Source = GetComponent<AudioSource>();
    Source.clip = PlayClip[ClipIndex];

6. dearreality

dearreality

Hi @summitgamesentertainment ,
    we need to check this on Windows, since the same setup being build on OSX works fine.
    Can you log anything related to dearVR on your device with ADB?

7. summitgamesentertainment

summitgamesentertainment

Thank you for your reply. I will test it today exporting the android build on my mac and give your the results.

I will also share the android adb logs to you. so you can check it too.. But the logs didn't provide any information as such. but will send it to you.

8. dearreality

dearreality

Just tested it with:
    Windows 10
    Unity 5.6 0f3
    Oculus Framework 1.12 and 1.14.1
    Dear VR version 1.1
    S7

and everything worked worked in the demo scene.
    So waiting for your details.

9. summitgamesentertainment

summitgamesentertainment

HI. I have tested it on windows and mac.. both demo plays and worked perfectly.. I have also embedded it on my own scene and it worked fine.. on android.

Now, the problem is i am playing the video and the audio in the audio clip gets loaded automatically with the video when played. I have edited the script of dear vr source and it worked perfectly fine on windows as well as mac.. but only on gear vr android the audio is not playing in binaural.. on editor and windows as well as the mac, the same code works fine but not on android.. any thoughts??

Basically the audio clip gets loaded to the same gameobject which has the dearvr source and the default clip on the script plays perfect when played as soon as scene is loaded.. but when the video is played. the audio clip gets replaced there on the same audio source to the gameobject playing the dearvr source room preset ..... it works on mac/windows but not only on android..

Thank you for your support. :) Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  10. ColtonKadlecik_VitruviusVR

ColtonKadlecik_VitruviusVR

Hey @dearreality
    In the first post you mentioned compatible with all HMDs, does this include PSVR?
    Cheers,
    Colton

11. dearreality

dearreality

Hi Colton,
    we just talked to the PSVR guys at Unite Europe in Amsterdam yesterday. Technical possible, but without access to their DSP hardware it does't make sense at the moment. So sorry, not supported yet.
    Best

12. cgarre

cgarre

Hi,
    Which is the spatialization technology behind Dear VR? HRTF? Ambisonics?
    Could you please provide some details? I am working on a survery on audio spatialization tools.
    Thank you!

13. janiche

janiche

a Little question, it is compatible with some video game console, ex. Playstation 4, New Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo Switch, Xone.

14. dearreality

dearreality

Hi,
    dearVR is an object based 3d audio technology. A scene based ambisonic output is also supported (Ambix and FuMa). For further information, you might like to take a look at the online manual on our support page. (http://dearvr.com/support/)
    Best,

15. dearreality

dearreality

Hi,
    sorry, we haven't tested the compatibility with these consoles yet.
    Best,

16. Pode

Pode

@dearreality : when building a proejct with the asset on iPad, XCode warns me that the dearVR plugin was compiled with BITCODE enabled. Are you planning a quick update to the asset ?

17. Beloudest

Beloudest

I checked the manual and there is no mention of AmbiX audio file format support. Does DearVR support ambisonic recordings converted into an AmbiX format? I'd like to have a single audio source static that reacts to the orientation of ones head in relation to a video recorded with a ambisonic mic? The audio is in the AmbiX audio format with 4 channels XYZW

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  18. tcmeric

tcmeric

Any support for tools like master audio these days?

19. LopezElGuapo

LopezElGuapo

Hi.
    We used DearVR successfully on an earlier project that was based on 5.6. Our current project is being developed in 2017.1.p4 and we are having many issues with DearVR - it seems to more or less fail once we add more than 5 or so sources in a scene (settings like master gain in the DearVR source component won't affect the output once there are many sources in a scene). Also, I've now got unity crashing whenever I load a scene with the DearVR Manager included in (whether there are DearVR audio sources or not). Anyhow I really like the audio effects quality but as of now I've had to back DearVR out because of looming deadlines and I just can't get it to work reliably. I don't know if you have done a pass on compatibility with 2017.1 but it doesn't seem to work at the moment with DearVR 1.2...

20. Pode

Pode

@LopezElGuapo : we use it with 2017.1. Lots of crashes at the beginning of the project. One way to use it is to set ID for the channel effects., use Performance mode, and scripts to avoid using the builtin 'Play()' Unity function.
    I also use snapshots to switch between parameters.

21. dearreality

dearreality

@LopezElGuapo: Could you send us some crash logs to check these issues? Also a small test project would be perfect. In general dearVR 1.2 is compatible with 2017.1.

22. dearreality

dearreality

@Beloudest: Ambisonic output is available in the dearVR VST/AAX/AU plugin version for DAWs - NOT in the Unity Asset.

23. dearreality

dearreality

@tcmeric: We haven't tested master audio compatibility. Unfortunately, this is still a task on our TODO list.

24. dearreality

dearreality

@Pode: BITCODE will be disabled in the next update which we are planning to release next week.

25. Beloudest

Beloudest

Well it's becoming something that is asked for more often, a Universal asset that supports it would be great.

26. Battan

Battan

The slider from "2d sound to 3d sound" auto switches to 0 when i hit play. Why is this and how do i get it to stop? Also when I in playmode change the slider to max all sound dies. For me it works well on 92%. How does this even work? Can I get any documentation on what all the parameters does?

27. dearreality

dearreality

Hi Battan,
    using the dearVR asset for 3D spatalization, you definitely have to keep the Unity Spatial Blend slider to 2D. It won't work well on 92%.
    Using a dearVRsource component, it is set automatically to 2D. This behaviour is also described in the manual on page 20 (4.1.7 Audio Source).
    You can download the manual via our website.
    http://dearvr.com/support/

Best,

28. fromwithin

fromwithin

Hello. I've got a whole load of questions/comments here.

Can you update the documentation to list the entire structure of DearVRSource for usage in code, along with a complete list of API calls and how they are used in the library, please? For example, nowhere in the documentation does it even say to add a 'using DearVR' directive. Even the code sample inside the manual shows some using directives, but not 'using DearVR'.

Also please proofread better. When code is case sensitive, it's ridiculous for your documentation to reference dearVRPlay() instead of DearVRPlay(). I wasted half an hour because of that.

What is best practice for usage? Playing an AudioSource or playing a DearVRSource? There is no documentation and no code samples that describe DearVRPlay or how it's meant to be used.

What is the audioSource object inside a DearVRSource? Does DearVR search for a sibling AudioSource inside the parent object? Does it create one itself? Multiple DearVRSource objects contained inside a single parent all seem to reference the same AudioSource automatically. What's that all about?

I have an audio player class that has an array of audioclips that are meant to be defined in the editor. The Awake() function takes this array and creates a DearVRSource for each. I've been having loads of problems with it, with sounds sometimes not playing. I've ended up generating a new AudioSource for each array entry and setting it as the audioSource object inside each new DearVRSource object. This has left me in a position whereby I get no sound whatsoever when I use DearVRPlay() unless I click and select the audio player object in the editor while the scene is running. Then the sounds playback correctly.

Does DearVRPlayOneShot() even exist? My project suggests not with its compile errors every time I try to use it.

How is Auralization meant to work? The flag can be set, but from where is the renderer supposed to get the geometry?

Once again, PLEASE update your documentation. It's almost useless for anything other than to create the most fundemental tech demo.

29. dearreality

dearreality

Hi,

first, thanks a lot for your detailed comments. We took this as an opportunity to update our manual and the
    dearVRScriptLoad example.
    The updated manual is available via our website (http://dearvr.com/support/) and as a part of dearVR version 1.2.1 - as soon as it is approved by Unity.

To answer your questions:

1. Can you update the documentation to list the entire structure of DearVRSource for usage in code, along with a complete list of API calls and how they are used in the library, please? For example, nowhere in the documentation does it even say to add a 'using DearVR' directive. Even the code sample inside the manual shows some using directives, but not 'using DearVR'.
    - Yes, we have updated the dearVRScriptLoad example in the manual. There you can see example usage of dearVRPlayOneShot and how to change the reverb sends dynamically.
    To check out the complete set of APIs offered by dearVR, just jump to the definition of any function in in dearVRSource, and there you would get a list of available fields and methods. In MonoDevelope you can achieve this by hitting Ctrl+D.

2. What is best practice for usage? Playing an AudioSource or playing a DearVRSource? There is no documentation and no code samples that describe DearVRPlay or how it's meant to be used.
    - Best is to use DearVRSource. For details please take a look at the updated dearVRScriptLoad example in the manual.

3.What is the audioSource object inside a DearVRSource? Does DearVR search for a sibling AudioSource inside the parent object? Does it create one itself? Multiple DearVRSource objects contained inside a single parent all seem to reference the same AudioSource automatically. What's that all about?
    - The audioSource inside DearVRSource, is just a reference to the actual audio source component. DearVRSource component should always be added to the same object, where the audio source component is attached. As a matter of fact adding DearVRSource component to your object automatically adds audioSource component to the same object.

4.Does DearVRPlayOneShot() even exist? My project suggests not with its compile errors every time I try to use it
    - Yes, the method exists. But it needs an audio clip as an argument. See updated dearVRScriptLoad example.

5. How is Auralization meant to work? The flag can be set, but from where is the renderer supposed to get the geometry?
    - (Please take a look at the manual / 4.2 dearVR Manager)
    Within the dearVR Manager you can set main parameters for auralization and room analyser. Enable the room analyzer to get the scene geometry for realtime auralization.
    An alternative is to set your own fix values for the room geometry. Enable „set global room Geo“ flag and enter your values for six reflection surfaces: LEFT, RIGHT, FRONT, BACK, UP, DOWN.

Note: Without room analyser or Set Global Room geometry active, reflections are generated based on fixed values fitting the room preset.

Best,

30. fromwithin

fromwithin

Thanks for the response.

Having to use Mono to get a list of parameters is rather a pain, not least because I code in Vim, not MonoDevelop. MonoDevelop is really just a debugger for me. The names of some properties in the Unity Editor don't match the variables names and it would better to just have an ascii list of parameters and types.

I'm having trouble with this. What I want is to have more than one DearVRSource on a single object and it's not working properly when AudioSource components are generated dynamically. If I instantiate two DearVRSource objects inside a class, an AudioSource component is automatically generated, but both DearVRSource objects point to the same AudioSource. If I add a new AudioSource component and set it as the audioSource for any of the DearVRSource components in the object, I get complete silence unless I go into the editor while the game is playing, click on the object, and open the DearVRSource panel for the relevant component. Only then does the sound magically appear.

Here's an example class that has the problem:

Code (csharp):
    1. using DearVR;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    5. using UnityEngine.Audio;
    7. public class Audio_Play_Looped_Test : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    9.     private DearVRSource loopedVRSource;
    10.     public AudioMixerGroup mixerGroup;
    11.     public AudioClip loopedSample;
    13.     void Awake()
    14.     {
    15.         if (loopedSample != null)
    16.         {
    17.             loopedVRSource = gameObject.AddComponent<DearVRSource>();
    18.             loopedVRSource.audioSource = gameObject.AddComponent<AudioSource>();
    19.             loopedVRSource.audioSource.outputAudioMixerGroup = mixerGroup;
    20.             loopedVRSource.audioSource.clip = loopedSample;
    21.             loopedVRSource.audioSource.loop = true;
    23.             loopedVRSource.DearVRPlay();
    24.         }
    25.     }
    26. }
    In the editor, create an empty object and add this as a component. Set the sample to be played and set the mixer output.

When the project is started, the sound will not play unless the DearVR panel of the object is made visible.
    You can start the game, select the object, collapse all of the components. Stop the game and restart it. Select the object again and the sound will be produced as soon as the DearVR component panel is expanded.

If line 18 is commented out, or if the audio source component is created as a new variable and the new variable set as the audio source, the sound will play on startup every time, whether the DearVR panel is visible or not.

It seems apparent that only the auto-generated AudioSource component works correctly. Creating an AudioSource dynamically and referencing it in the DearVR component does not. Thus, having more than one DearVRSource in a single object doesn't work properly.

Here's another example where the first component will work, but the others won't, unless the DearVR component panel for the appropriate sample in the object is visible in the editor. Create an empty object, add this class, then populate the samples array with AudioClips.

Code (csharp):
    1. using DearVR;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    5. using UnityEngine.Audio;
    7. public class Audio_Play_Multi_Looped_Test : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    9.     private DearVRSource[] VRSources;
    10.     public AudioClip[] samples;
    12.     void Awake()
    13.     {
    14.         VRSources = new DearVRSource[samples.Length];
    15.         for (uint sampleIndex = 0; sampleIndex < samples.Length; ++sampleIndex) {
    16.             AudioSource newAudioSource = gameObject.AddComponent<AudioSource>();
    17.             newAudioSource.clip = samples[sampleIndex];
    18.             newAudioSource.loop = true;
    19.             VRSources[sampleIndex] = gameObject.AddComponent<DearVRSource>();
    20.             VRSources[sampleIndex].audioSource = newAudioSource;
    21.             VRSources[sampleIndex].DearVRPlay();
    22.         }
    23.     }
    24. }

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  31. fromwithin

fromwithin

Update: Today, after a restart of everything, it appears to be working correctly and multiple sounds are playing back without having to open the DearVR panel. I'll post again if this status changes.

Another question though: DearVR has to have its AudioSource Spatial Blend set to 2D, so how can a 2D sound be played that doesn't go through the DearVR mixer? From what I can tell, by default it overrides all AudioSources, forcing them into 3D, and I want a mixture of 2D and 3D sounds to be played to keep the CPU usage down and for UI sounds. There is a spatialization bool in AudioSource, but also a EnableSpatialization bool in DearVRSource. If I set either to false in code when the sources are created, they get automatically set back to true again. I have to switch spatialization off just before the play call instead.

Update2: So it turns out it wasn't working correctly after all. After the reset, the editor had switched back to the Oculus Spatializer. Putting it back to DearVR presents the problem again of having to open the DearVR panel in the editor for all sounds to work.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  32. fromwithin

fromwithin

Hello. Any news on the above problems I'm having? Thanks.

33. armingj

armingj

Hello formwithin,

just a thought here! why not making new objects children of a root object and adding DearVRSource to those children?

Code (CSharp):
    2. using DearVR;
    3. using System.Collections;
    4. using System.Collections.Generic;
    5. using UnityEngine;
    6. using UnityEngine.Audio;
    8.  public class Audio_Play_Multi_Looped_Test : MonoBehaviour
    9. {
    10.         private DearVRSource[] VRSources;
    11.         public AudioClip[] samples;
    13.         void Awake()
    14.         {
    15.                 VRSources = new DearVRSource[samples.Length];
    16.                 for (uint sampleIndex = 0; sampleIndex < samples.Length; ++sampleIndex) {
    17.                         GameObject cgo = new GameObject ();
    18.                         cgo.AddComponent<AudioSource>();
    19.                         cgo.transform.SetParent (gameObject);
    20.                         cgo.transform.position = new Vector3 (0, 0, 0);
    21.                         AudioSource newAudioSource = cgo.AddComponent<AudioSource>();
    22.                         newAudioSource.clip = samples[sampleIndex];
    23.                         newAudioSource.loop = true;
    24.                         VRSources[sampleIndex] = cgo.AddComponent<DearVRSource>();
    25.                         VRSources[sampleIndex].audioSource = newAudioSource;
    26.                         VRSources[sampleIndex].DearVRPlay();
    27.                 }
    28.         }
    29. }

Cheers,
    Armin

34. armingj

armingj

I just tried this in a test scene and you can easily just have other audio sources play everything in 2D, even if they output in the same mixer. And I dont think anything gets overridden by dearVR for all sources.

35. fromwithin

fromwithin

Thanks nefelia. It would be nice to have the library fixed so that this wasn't necessary, but putting each sound into its own component worked.

36. cgarre

cgarre

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately, I still don't understand which is the technology used for spatialization. Your answer and the information in the manual talks about the problem, but not about the implemented solution.
    Is it related with HRTF? VBAP? Ambisonics? Wave field synthesis?
    Any details you could provide are welcome, but at least I would need just to know where to classify DearVR among the existing solutions.

Thank you again

37. fromwithin

fromwithin

I'm not from DearVR, but DearVR in Unity is HRTF-based.

38. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

Please make some tutorial videos for VR set-up for us total noobs to audio.

AtheneNoctua likes this.
  39. or3030

or3030

Hi!

I am a sound designer who has recently started to learn about VR audio. I have seen dearVR plug-in. I was interested to buy it so I can experiment with it using unity or Wwise.

However, is it required to have Oculus/ HTC Vive for it? If so, Should I have the developer kit? Or the normal consumer one works?

Also do you know if Oculus Go(not put yet coming out early 2018) or Oculus Rift is compatible with it? How about Google Daydream?

40. HuaweiVR

HuaweiVR

We use dearVR SDK in Unity to produce a 360 video with spatial audio. However, the output of sound volume is very low after using dearVR SDK.
    We make a test that we build a non-spatial audio version. In this version, the output of audio volume is high enough.

Also, we are sure that the audio attenuation is not the problem.

We are wondering whether we could find a way to solve the problem. Could you tell me how to control the volume output with dearVR SDK?

41. beowulfkaine

beowulfkaine

Is there something I need to use specifically to have playmaker use dearvr when playing audio? It seems I have a 2-second delay or so when sounds happen.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  42. armingj

armingj

Hello there,

having a VR/AR device is not a prerequisite for binaural rendering in dearVR. You only need Unity. Generally speaking dearVR does not make any assumptions about how your scene camera(2D game, VR/AR, 3d etc.) works. However Compatibility of the dearVR core engine in the following devices have not been tested yet; All Consoles(Xbox, PS etc), Hololense.

43. armingj

armingj

This is probably happening die to volume attenuation, Are you using a different length scale in your unity project? You can of course use the master gain in every dearVR script or just make the mixer louder.

44. armingj

armingj

We havent experienced this issue yet, you mind sending us a minimal project reproducing this issue?

45. AtheneNoctua

AtheneNoctua

Greetings--
    I just bought DearVR for Unity and I've realized it is simply the engine. It does not include the plugins for Reaper, nor does it include the workflow Spatial Connect. I'm envisioning processing sound on tracks in Reaper and using the Vive controllers to position and mix in Unity--I cannot find a parts list or a tutorial on how to set this up. All I see on line is euphoric sound engineers mixing as if they were playing a video game. Yes, yes I am envious.

Can you point me to

1. Parts list
    2. Tutorial for assembly and setup

Thanks in advance.

46. AtheneNoctua

AtheneNoctua

Alrighty, then. My current hypothesis is that I can do the same thing that Spatial Connect does if I employ EditorVR in the scene.

I will pound delicate machinery and throw wrenches into the scene, and then return and let you know how it went.

47. armingj

armingj

Hi there,
    as you correctly figured out, the dearvr unity plugin is a standalone product, and does not come with the VST/AAX/AU plugins, they are separate products and you can find more information about them on dearvr.com. Spatial Connect is an upcoming product that will cover all the things you mentioned and more. Additionally Spatial connect will have the option to translate your mix from your DAW to Unity (using our Unity plugin), this feature will not be a part of the first release though, and will definitely come as an update.

To get the latest news just subscribe to the newsletter, release is going to be some time this year. If you have any other questions or want to be part of the beta program, just drop us a line via http://dearvr.com/support/

Cheers,
    Armin

48. AtheneNoctua

AtheneNoctua

Thank you, Armin, for your reply.

Spatial Connect is not released yet--that probably explains why I can't find it, lol.

For anyone keeping track, I attached EditorXR to DearVR and was nauseous within three seconds of putting on the headset. And since you use EditorXR with the play button OFF, and DearVR with the play button ON, (afaik) the two packages seem doomed as star-crossed lovers....

49. SeaSand

SeaSand

+1

@dearreality: Are there any plans concerning Ambisonic support in the DearVR Unity Asset?

Beloudest likes this.
  50. sonicviz

sonicviz

I'm looking to upgrade my spatial audio experience, and have a couple of questions.

• How does this compare sonically to other solutions? Why and how is it "better"?
    • How easily does it integrate with comprehensive music/sound solutions like MasterAudio/Fabric etc? There's a lot more to playing music/sounds than just clips so how it integrates into playlist controller solutions is key.
    ty.