Search Unity

Dear Unity,

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bitlysub2anf, May 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bitlysub2anf

bitlysub2anf

If this gets added to Unity, this will become a life changer/saver. Unity is an engine developed for creating games. There are many types of games out there. What do they mainly consist? Movement, am I right? Each time a new project that has player movement in it is started, a script must be coded for every movement of the player. So, why not add an in-game built component (for all platforms one by one e.g, touch, button, wasd, all the major components) for both 2D and 3D. No creating scripts, no trouble for beginners. I am not saying that we should remove the script system for movement all together. Scripts are important to learn. But, that will make Unity easier, much easier. Also, Unity should focus (a little bit) more on 2D, because most professionals opt for Unreal for 3D games. I am not saying that Unity is bad, no no no no no noooooo. Unity is super awesome, but major changes and all that make it harder for everyone and classes at unity learn are awesome. Also, i recently have noticed that Unity Forums is dying (slowly) as no one is helping anymore for one reason or another. Management is pretty decent. I was not alive (in game developemnt) back when some changes happended, I think in Unity 4 or 5 or something like that. i think all those posts in Unity Forums should be removed to prevent confusion. A fresh new start. A new promise, let the new life flow. You can do it Unity

Note: If you are an official Unity memeber and did not get enough information, please read posts made by be below (not far from here)

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  2. Murgilod

Murgilod

These are what the standard assets were meant for. Unity has abandoned standard assets.

[Citation needed]

[Citation needed]

What posts?

3. neginfinity

neginfinity

They mainly consist of scene graph management.

What is the point supposed to be here?

4. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

This place has been a certain kind of way ever since that demo.

5. bitlysub2anf

bitlysub2anf

Personal opinion guys (well, the only thing is that there should be an input system as a pre-configured component, at least for wasd. And yes, professional (AAA) game developers do take Unreal Engine (such as Assassin's Creed Chronicles, well maybe my Unreal thought is not that strong, in conclusion, evey engine has it's own pros and cons, but I love Unity for 2D). And I have seen that forums get abandoned (happened with me already, it is happening slowly though, or maybe it's because my mind is telling me that). And, I mean those previous versions' techniques are slightly different. Okay, now before any criticism, I just want to say that, you may be familiar with Article 18 (i.e, freedom of thought) of Universal Declaration of Human Rights (also, legally binding of International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights) that:
    Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.
    (Reference)

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

As already mentioned there were the standard assets, but everyone complained about those too, Unity occasionally put some effort into improving them, and still no one was happy. Unity announced they were developing a complete replacement for them, and that effort seems to have ended with nothing released. The truth is the Asset Store has largely filled the need the standard assets were created to address. If you don't want to code your own movement scripts you can look at a variety of options on the Asset Store and use them in any of your projects. Problem is different games have different movement requirements, so creating a one size fits all movement system is basically impossible.

Yes Unreal does have a bigger presence in a single slice of the games market, the "almost AAA" space. Unreal isn't all that strong with actual AAA games, since they are predominantly created with in house developed engines. Unity then has gone on to virtually dominate almost every other market. If you think the reason Unreal has its one market advantage is because Unity isn't capable of making those games, you obviously haven't played Escape From Tarkov.

NotaNaN likes this.
  7. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Tarkov is awesome game but as far as graphics goes it's not really in the same league as modern AAA shooters. Though, to be fair, what are the contemporary UE4 shooters to compare against?

8. bitlysub2anf

bitlysub2anf

I agree, every engine has their own pros and cons. It just depends on how a perosn uses it. Also, if you think I am wrong, that's okay. Everyone has their own opinions. But, the main reason I ever wrote this was that Unity (their decision, I am not forcing anyone, it's just a friendly suggestion) add movement as a component, kind of like Rigidbody and Rigidbody2d. That's all. What's your thought on Unity? Feel free to express your thoughts

9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

PUBG and Fortnite are the most popular Unreal engine shooters right now, and Tarkov beats them in the graphics department hands down. The big league modern AAA shooters are typically in house engines, not Unreal. I can't think of one which uses Unreal (maybe I'm wrong though).

10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity does have the CharacterController built in. It only takes a small amount of your own code to use it (basically all you do in your code is capture the input and call Move, should be plenty of examples).

Edit: There's actually what looks like a good example in the documentation for CharacterController.Move itself:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/CharacterController.Move.html

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Borderlands 3.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  12. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

i googled cause curious and there actually isn't too many blockbuster shooters from ue4 as i suspected. but there is Gears, Mass Effect 2, Batman, and Bioshock.

Can't really compare fortnite cause totally separate artstyle, but anyway I just wanted to make a point that while certainly competent Tarkov isn't exactly raising the bar in it's genre (graphics wise). Which is fine, but probably important to understand the difference so one can have better idea where to draw the line in own projects and not get carried away with perfectionism.

13. Murgilod

Murgilod

This is not even a substantial amount of developers relative to how many gamedevs work in professional spaces.

Do you think this has something to do with the lack of coherence and accuracy in your posts? This thread is hardly doing you any favours.

This has nothing to do with anything, for instance.

14. neginfinity

neginfinity

Why are you bringing this up?

I've never seen this being brought up in a discussion for a good reason.

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Wrong. Even if we completely ignore the existence of the Standard Assets (which can be made to work with the latest releases of Unity by changing a few lines of code) you still have your own code from past projects to work with. That anyone would think they have to start from scratch every single time is beyond ridiculous.

16. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

If you are looking for a simple character controller, check out the Standard Assets. If you want something more powerful and more flexible, check out 3rd party assets like this one:
    https://opsive.com/solutions/character-solution/

The challenge to automatically including a character controller in each new project is that every project is different. When people ask for a default character controller, they are basically asking Unity to assume what type of game each developer wants to make and then automatically supply that exact character controller automatically.

A really good character controller is one of the most important things in a game, since it is the core for much of the gameplay mechanics. The character controller is what gives each game a unique feel. If every game started with the same character controller, then a lot of games would end up feeling the same.

Ryiah and EternalAmbiguity like this.
  17. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Basic controllers exist, both in the standard assets and there are community and asset versions. There doesn't need to be another discussion on unreal, and as @Murgilod pointed out AAA titles aren't the biggest section of professional game development, so making claims don't that path is a non starter. Given there is really a clear discussion thread there here and request for a controller is kinda pointless as it already exists, going to close. In future, lets keep threads single topic and clear. If you want to chit about random stuff, try the discord or slack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.