Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with lots of "screens" and cameras

Discussion in 'Unity UI & TextMesh Pro' started by dogfacedesign, Nov 10, 2018 at 4:41 AM.

1. dogfacedesign

dogfacedesign

So in my game, I have a number of different screens (more than 12) that are shown to the player. It is more of a simulation than a game, per se. At any rate, at one point I had them all on one camera, which made editing the screens a pain in the butt because I would always have to use the inspector to disable the screens I wasn't working on, make the change to the one that needed it, re-enable them all, then test.

So, I decided to create separate cameras, one for each screen, and spread the UI for those screens across those cameras. It makes editing a heck of a lot easier (even though NGUI didn't play too well all the time).

I am curious if my approach sounds "reasonable", or perhaps there are other ways I could deal with it. I am ok with the way it is now, I suppose, but I'm always willing to learn new approaches to solving problems!

Cheers.

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

There are performance issues with having lots of cameras (though probably avoidable if you disable/enable them selectively) - but I have always just used either multiple canvas objects, or multiple panels under the canvas to hold each potential "screen" for the game. Honestly though - if you aren't experiencing lag or glitches, there is no reason not to just do what works best for your workflow.

3. LurkingNinjaDev

LurkingNinjaDev

I wouldn't do that if you don't have any use of the multiple cameras run time. If it's purely editing tool, I would rather write a small script which show a bunch of buttons and on click enable/disable the proper "screen" for you automatically. Or a dropdown or something like that.