Search Unity

Dealing with localization, and different alphabets (Chinese, Korean, etc) How To?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zimbres, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Zimbres

Zimbres

Hi there!

Just a question, if someone here works with this kind of thing, how do oyu guys work with different alphabets? I've created a manager for changing fonts depending of the language-in-use, but... I wonder if there are other ways, like adding the different characters inside of the same font for all languages, or anything like this.

Also, how to deal with different alphabets in the dark? I mean, without knowing those different languages?

2. xVergilx

xVergilx

TextMeshPro -> Fallback Assets.

But you still need a pre-generated font asset.

Antypodish likes this.
  3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

This.

You can add characters to the font(s) but that is impractical. It will quickly get so huge that you are sacrificing quality for characters that rarely used. I break it down by major group. Standard, Cyrillic, Chinese, etc, and finally currency, which is basically just currency symbols an a couple of custom glyphs. For the rare or uncommon Langs that you don’t localize, they will likely be able to read EN or one of the other big seven, but if you are selling stuff, you need to have their currency symbol correct so their is no confusion or misrepresentation.

Zimbres likes this.
  4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

You don't. If you are localizing to Korean for example, who ever is doing your translation should be testing in your app, or at least QA'ing it. If you aren't actually localizing to to a language, then there is no need to include the glyphs/characters.

Or team is international in general, with only a couple of exceptions, some on our team is a native speaker of most langages. The few that aren't, we hire a third party localization team, who also QAs it in game just to make sure there wasn't a context issue that was confused when just looking at text strings.

Zimbres likes this.
  5. Zimbres

Zimbres

Do you have the alphabet of these big 7? I know only "standard" and "Cyrillic".

I will send the game for localization yet, but for now, I would like to set the game on a more "translation friendly" as possible, and, I would like to choose the different fonts myself, buuuut, I'm getting the spirit, it would be way better to send the job to someone who knows those languages.

6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Glyphs (alphabet) are the same, as long as your font has all the characters : English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Brazilian, Russian, Turkish. Just make sure whatever font you use supports Cyrillic. (or fallback with arial or something like that with character set.)

Zimbres likes this.
  7. Zimbres

Zimbres

Know what... on my condition, while I'm not in the talks with the localization team, this idea of fallback to arial fits like a glove, at least for now. Thanks for the info!