Search Unity

dead inside

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JoshGallagher, Jan 13, 2013.

1. carking1996

carking1996

If your game is buggy and not polished, what makes you think it's good enough for E3?

2. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

Josh,
    You have to spend lots of time making sure the game works well.
    I cannot see any elements of gameplay apart from those models

I did find a video:
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/dead-inside/videos/rig-showcase-of-main-character

It says: "Unregistered Hypercam 2" and mostly blank afterwards.
    $pic114.png

Just as a ballpark example, in our game:

$547603_183724975117422_642758464_n.jpg

• Memory Optimizations - managed to get an old iPad1, iPod touch4 to load our game without low memory warning. We got it working below 150mb on average.
    • Graphics optimizations - reduced number of poly from 3.4 million to 20,000 on average per scene.
    • Coding optimizations - the game runs fast on an iPad1 and older Gingerbread Android devices.

Other tests:
    • Are the objects shimmering?
    • Walking around the terrain to check for mesh issues
    • Walking around to check for missing mesh or box colliders
    • Checking the 2D menus for correctness and logic correctness
    • Checking flares and particle effects are correct
    • Checking lighting correctness (is it over-lighted?)

3. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

Ok, I may have not been proffesional by saying that about another developers work but he started the up-roar by saying its suspicious. Also I'm not replying constanly and being a warrior over the internet so me personally I don't think I'm the one pushing this thread to the top.

4. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

Yes its buggy and I'm not releasing gameplay. But its playable and works fine but there are some tweaks that are needing to be done to get it up to standard so wait until June for the alpha and the trailer in June also to see the game. Also if you all think its 'suspicious' then add me on skype and I will personally show you gameplay before release.

5. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

I will speak to my animator about the unregistered hypercam and I will have that sorted out.

6. squared55

squared55

coughMSIAfterburnercough

7. carking1996

carking1996

You seem to have removed the video.

8. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Wow, the quality of the art is very good. Looking forward to see more. :)

9. FBTH

FBTH

Okay, I've just been reading this, and it's very supsicous. Josh, people will be suprised if you do wait and show off work you have done at IE3,But what if you don't get to go. Will you show us just a glimpse of gameplay, like atleast a minute long, just something we can hope for, so we can take your word for it that you have stuff done. I like your models and most of what's here, but again, I don't really think you have anything done besides models.

10. dtg108

dtg108

Agreed. Give us a glimpse, and we'll believe you. All we need is a glimpse. I'd be interested to see it, send me your skype name. And my animations were switched to motion capture, they work fine now :). Weren't you the one asking me for an animator?

11. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

I feel bad for joining in on the attacking force Josh, but you need to look at this differently. Just try to look through the eyes of your audience for a second. Think how we are all thinking. Every accusation is met with defense (which is understandable, you want to maintain the credibility of your company), we are only shown model by model screenshots (Which are amazing by the way!), and we are denied the opportunity to see the models in the game engine.

Think about EVERY AAA game ever published, before they even released a single gameplay trailer, they showed us teasers. A split second image of potential gameplay footage, even if it was majorly different from the final release. That in itself is a surprise. But it shows lack of confidence in your game, and like dtg108 is saying, it does seem a little bit suss.

Why bother show us individually on Skype, when you can just show us all right now, through a small screen shot of gameplay footage;
    It doesn't need to be polished.
    It doesn't need to even play well.
    All we want to see, is a tiny little glimpse, for lack of a better word, at what it is you want us all to play.

Anyways, not to say that I'm not grateful for all the hard work you are putting in to this, I'm just hoping to put and end to the amount of politics on this thread. And as always, keep up the hard work ;)

12. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

I have taken into consideration of all your comments and we are now working on an alpha teaser trailer.

13. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

@JoshGallagher,

A member of PrionGames in the UK managed to get himself banned on this forums. If PrionGames rages on you again, you can take legal action against that UK person since that person is in the same country you are in and the UK laws crack down hard on Internet trolling.

14. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

Thank you for the information.

15. Ocid

Ocid

Oh please. You'd get laughed out of court if you even got that far.

"He's trolling my dev log on the internet. Waaah"

16. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

PrionGames might remember the day when the police came with a search warrant on their business address. Or when they forgot to file their income tax returns so their company got shut down. When they forgot to pay their ISP bills so their site is always suspended. Or those civil cases against PrionGames in the West Virginia court by other parties. Or the bad BBB rating that won't go away.

@JoshG you are more than welcome. We do hope that you have successful game launch.

17. Ocid

Ocid

How many of those related to getting reported for internet trolling? Zero.

My geography is a little hazy but West Virginia isn't in the UK.

Whats a BBB rating? Big Bad Bastard?

18. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

What your saying is stupid and you obviously dont know what your talking about. He also stated that a member was in the UK so why did you say west virginia ? Your reading skill must be hazy. So please stop commenting and getting my thread unwanted attention.

19. Myhijim

Myhijim

No, you are getting yourself unwanted attention. What he is saying makes complete perfect sense.

1. I doubt anyone could be sued for internet trolling on a game developers forum.
    2. He was saying the West Virginia WASN'T in the UK, which is what he was replying to.
    3. If anything... Your reading skills are hazy, sorry

20. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

No I'm not getting myself unwanted attention thankyou. What he's saying makes no sense as well as you not knowing the whole story.

1. I agree with the fact that you cant sue for internet trolling but you can take people to court on false accusations of us using pirated programmes.(that's why @eskimojoe messaged me and told me this information because Priongames accused us) so know you stuff before you attempt to prove someone wrong. (Taking someone to court on theses claims is plausible e.g. it may affect how well the game sells ect. So you can get a payout for damages if you can prove it)

2."A member of PrionGames in the UK" I quote from @eskimojoe... please read...are your reading skills so hazy ? sorry.

3.My reading skills are quite good thankyou considering I'm just about to start studying law.

Thankyou for your constructive criticism, if that's what it was. So now if you have anything to say back PM me because we don't want unnecessary noise from this thread. :)

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  21. Ocid

Ocid

I am not privy to your PM's hence the take to court on internet trolling being used as the point of discussion not accusations of using pirated software. I'm well aware of slander and libel laws in the UK and you'd still get no where with this.

No my reading skills are perfectly fine. Yeah you're right eksimo did refer to the UK member to which i replied you'd get laughed out of court if you got that far. Joe then brought up a bunch of S*** totally unrelated to internet trolling or being in the UK and mentioned West Virginia. To which I responded WV is not in the UK while being sarcastic about hazy geography.

You're individual post reading skills may be fine but your ability to follow along with a conversation is totally lacking.

22. carking1996

carking1996

Guys, guys. Let's just get back onto the topic. No need to start a discussion about piracy and internet trolling laws, etc, here.

23. landon912

landon912

Yep, if you've got an issue take it up in private. I just read the last few pages and don't even know what type of game this is about. Come on guys -_-

24. SevenBits

SevenBits

Yeah, stop hijacking threads. This is going to become 12 more pages of incessant arguing and then this thread will be closed. Let's not do that to the developer of this game, okay?

25. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

26. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

27. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

Hello everyone! Today I would like to tell you that you can join our forum and give us ideas on what we should implement in DEAD INSIDE to make it better for you guys, also there will be special updates for forum members!

Visit our forum and join now: http://sector7games.weebly.com/forum.html#/

Also check out our Animation on our zombie:
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/dead-inside/videos/zombie-walk-animation

28. Maxtor

Maxtor

Hi Josh,

After browsing through the entire thread I was impressed by the quality and detail of your models, and textures. Your dev team sure has some talented individuals. However, I must have missed this, or maybe it was never asked, or updated. How did your modeler retopologize the zombie mesh, and what is it's current triangle count? The zombie animation looks great!

29. svog

svog

Hi! i'm the modeler of the zombie, this zombie was done in zbrush and 3ds max, the retopology has been made in zbrush, the actual polycount is around 2300 triangles

30. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

Go and fill out our survey on a webpage to give us a brief outline for our Kickstarter campaign ! (Survey is on 'Home' page located at the bottom of the page)

31. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

WIP of female zombie

$FemaleZombie.jpg

This is a WIP of the female zombie, Still have to fix textures and get the shape in the head and feet.

32. FBTH

FBTH

Looks great Josh, hope you finish this because you put a lot of effort into this!

33. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

Thanks, I put the effort in but also did the team ! They deserve more credit !

34. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

35. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Just a quick question: How did you do the extrusions for the mag release switch on the glock? And the safety toggle switch and all?

36. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

I'm not the modeller but I think they made them separate then snapped them together (to the model)

37. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

38. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

What's happening with this game?

39. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Game? I thought this was a thread to showcase 3d models (pretty good ones actually).

40. svog

svog

Hi! the Glock has 5 parts, Barrel, Barrel case, Base, Magazine, and trigger, in that way we can animate the gun increasing a bit the polycount...

41. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

42. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

We are working hard on this game and we are so far into it but had a legal problem regarding use of models after a modeller left but its all sorted but alpha and trailer has to be delayed.

43. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

Yes there isn't any gameplay as of yet because we are still developing the game to have it ready for alpha.

44. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

I will be uploading concept art over the next couple of days.

$Main-character.jpg

45. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Just a quick question, have you done any gameplay implementation at all? Or is it just mostly modelling and what not?

46. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Ah ok, so you're going to have all the models done before you start putting them into the engine?

47. JoshGallagher

JoshGallagher

Have a working game engine with nearly qll aspects wirkibg but we only have one modeller and 2 animators so we are trying to get a character that has around 50 animations done so its time consuming but we have a working game and are slowly implementing the models.

48. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

@JoshG,

You can ask your modeller to keep it simple. We have much, much less animation that you have (Jump, Move left, move right, go forward, go back, die, talk, dying, block, attack) or 10 animations. Do you need 50 ?

You might want to keep it simple for the time being (1 main char with simple walk around and attack), code the game and make a smaller prototype. Essentially what this game is, is it is 'dead-inside' in the sense months of work have been done but no game-play to show.

Can I ask that you change priority and make a smaller FPS game with simpler prototypes - a simple model, simple terrain (not too fancy), 1 simple house and simpler AI and one simple attack mode.

It seems you have lost your way and you really need to re-focus on deliverables. Stop your other projects, stop your modellers from doing so complex things and focus on a smaller and simpler project.

Otherwise, you will go on months and months of unending game development with no compass and no sense of direction in terms of finishing.

We mean you well, and this is of no disrespect to you. How as your crashing the E3 going?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  49. ChrisPolus

ChrisPolus

Hi Josh

I think somebody might have ripped the info of your game and now displays it on their site, with parts of our web layout. Look at this!
    This is our website, stillalive studios: http://stillalive-studios.com/contact/
    Please note our address at the bottom: stillalive studios, Innsbruck, Austria

And this is Kampeki Software. They have a page about the game you're developing, Dead Inside.
    http://ourteam.sharadcottonworld.com/josh/index.php/about-2/dead-inside

And a contact page that looks exactly like ours that I linked above:
    http://ourteam.sharadcottonworld.com/josh/index.php/contact-us/contact-details

These guys even copied the Privacy Policy text we have on our website one to one! LOL Now I don't mind if somebody thinks our way of displaying the contact page is so awesome and copies it. Nothing wrong with that. But it would have been nice to change the company address at the bottom, because this is our address with our studio name, ^^

Do you know these guys Josh? What do we do?

50. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

I haven't heard anything for ages, what has happened with this game? Has all the modellers stopped working? xD