Search Unity

Dead Angle Squad, Mission 2

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by dacloo, Jun 22, 2007.

1. dacloo

dacloo

A new game is in progress. I'd like to share this demo with you guys. This is work from the past 2,5 weeks.

http://www.stickystudios.com/files/test.html

I am aware of the following problems:

1 - Character may look 'skewed' when using a platform, I don't know how to
    fix this yet (player is parented, different transform calculations apply)
    2 - You may get stuck on the side of a platform (still finding out how to avoid this)
    3 - Some animation issues, lack of some environment details etc.
    4 - The sliding animation/sound is triggered at low velocities. I can't seem to check its "downwards" speed since when grounded=true, the velocity=0. :)

When starting the game just click the mouse or press SPACE first to skip the temporary explanation screen.

Goal:
    Pickup 20 glowing energy balls. Avoid the green monsters. Shoot them to get 30 extra seconds. After you pickup the glowing energy balls, a big monster will appear shooting stuff.

CTRL - shoot
    SPACE - jump
    CURSORS - move

Hit this monster 9 times to win the game. You have three lives: a real challenge :)

2. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I would be forever grateful if you tell me how you accomplished those little sparkly particle when the character runs into the floating yellow blobby bonus things.

Great site design btw. I'll make sure to add a link from my sites.

3. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Still pretty cool. I guess it is not related to trucks this time. Those frog dudes are hilarious. Thumbs up :)

The animation is still sweet (though maybe the character goes too slow for it).

4. Lka

Lka

Great game!

5. drJones

drJones

very cool - especially for such a short production time ; )

i don't know if its intended or not but the orbs respawn so you can grab them again.

nice work.

6. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Very impressive! The whole thing feels very "right", whatever that means :)

d.

7. dacloo

dacloo

Thanks for the compliments :)
    I hope I can squeeze out the rest of the bugs before release.

These are the default "dust particle" textures you see there. I rotate between a lot of colors, make the size very small and randomize the velocity (keep it slow as speed though)

Intended :) It might happen that you shoot all your bullets with the "big monster fight" in the end, and I want to give people the ability to pick up new bullets. The spawn time is slow, so people won't simply stay at one spot and wait for a respawn (it costs time, time is also the score partially)

It is the "more entertainment" part of the two, yes :)

8. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Very cool, love the art style. Jeff

9. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

So you destroy the blob and replace it with the particles? So noob a question, I know.

10. dacloo

dacloo

The particles are childs of the blobs (prefab) and emit as soon as they are grabbed. I do a delayed destroy: Destroy(2); meanwhile the particles emit :)

11. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Nice work! And yeah, where are the trucks and bikes?! :p

12. bronxbomber92

bronxbomber92

I love this game! I've all ways wanted to make a game like this. I love the Jak Daxter style of games/Ape escape/Spyro/Crash Bandicoot :D

13. AGhost

AGhost

Awesome game!
    Only things I noticed were:

a) On the left side of the starting place there is a really large cliff that obscures the camera when you try to jump for the platforms on that side.
    b) You should have a countdown timer for respawn (so the user knows they are respawning and not just dead).

I love the graphics though!
    AGhost

14. thylaxene

thylaxene

niiiice... I love 3d platformers... :wink:

keep it up.

cheers.

15. AaronC

AaronC

Hmmm. Invalid data file
    ?
    AC

16. nickavv

nickavv

So awesome! I got killed by a stupid little frog while fighting the boss. And I had him down to three lives too! Man, that was fun. :D Good job man!

17. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Great stuff! I always enjoy your style and characters. It's great to see some more platformer action made with Unity.

Ethan

18. AaronC

AaronC

Just reinstalled 1.6.2 and it still doesnt work.

Attached Files:

19. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Strange... try re-installing the web player separately. And try both Safari and FireFox. Safari always works better with Unity for some reason... it's pretty much the only reason I still have Safari as my default browser.

20. jaydubs

jaydubs

Cool game, love to see it when it's finished. I like the particles that appear upon coin pickup too!

Well done,

J.

21. morgansaysthis

morgansaysthis

i really like the art style, and the camera is perfect, its very natural i dont find myself wishing the camera was looking in a different direction

and may i suggest using a projector or somthing to show where the bullets are going to be fired tho, i kept screaming I KNOW I HIT THE FROG THAT TIME!!

22. taumel

taumel

Technically very smooth and well done although the character seems a bit hyperactive and i would wish a different camera angle. Sadly the gameplay is no fun for me.

23. dacloo

dacloo

24. AaronC

AaronC

Unfortunately i never got it to run, I tried installing the webplayer seperate, with no luck.
    What version of unity was this built on? Does it use any obscure file types that I'd need codecs for?

Im using OSX 10.4.8, if that has anything to do with it...

Sorry but Im not interested in registering to something I can not read btw- Im not sure why we would need to register to be honest, unless your just testing out the registering functions for your site
    Good luck
    AC

25. dacloo

dacloo

Hi Targos, that is really weird that you can't see it. You can see a black background with a logo on top? I know Unity Player has a bug resulting in a non-working progressbar when using a custom logo, so you might get the impression nothing happens (but the game is loading)...
    It was built using v1.6.2.

As for registering; passwords are encrypted and unreadable, also they will not be used by third parties, just for stats purposes. (A demand of the client)