Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

De-Lighting Tool

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Cyril-Jover, Jul 7, 2017.

1. bobinc6

bobinc6

Hello Cyril

Having the same problem as Monarkmedia on [Jan 10, 2018] I was following De-lighting Tutorial - Unity Official Tutorials and had a good result and when trying to export the texter it crashed every time 10+ times so I updated to unity from 2017 to 2018 and same proses all I get is the black texter

I am noticing this error on the page
    property_(_SourcePos) at kernel index (0) is not set
    found forums that lots of people not understanding what it is
    could this be part of the problem? Untitled-1.jpg

sanmn19 and OfficialHermie like this.
  2. DefiantDev_Chris

DefiantDev_Chris

Hey, we are getting the same problems as other people when trying to use the tool.

1) If the optional param "Position" is not set, this error is logged
    Property (_SourcePos) at kernel index (0) is not set

2) If the optional param "Mask" is not set, this error is logged
    Property (_SourceMask) at kernel index (0) is not set

3) When all params are set correctly, the Delit texture is completely black.

Thanks

3. Javaddicted

Javaddicted

I have the same problem with a black result for the Unlit Map. A solution would be very much appreciated :)

4. xrooshka

xrooshka

Hey guys! Tool is working well on 2017.4. Try this out.

5. Stormy102

Stormy102

2017.3 == 2017.4. There are no differences between 2017.3 and 2017.4 except bug fixes. This tool obviously needs to be updated to support 2018.x.

xrooshka likes this.
  6. Win3xploder

Win3xploder

Hi, I have this banding problem with the delighting tool. Do you know what causes this?

Attached Files:

7. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

I'm experiencing the same kernel error as @bobinc6 and @Javaddicted with Unity 2018.2.0.f2.
    It's just black.
    @Cyril-Jover Can you fix this? And thank you for this tool!

8. philnolan3dj

philnolan3dj

I've been testing this out for a couple of days and thanks to this thread finally solved the problem of all black output. Now it's working but it has sharp lines, almost like a big grid over it. My model is a photogrammetry scan (Reality Capture) that I retopologized and baked all the textures in 3D-Coat. I don't see these lines in any of the texture maps.

delight_prob.png froggy_3DC.png

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  9. Matt-Face

Matt-Face

Hi,

I just downloaded he latest version from the asset store, using unity 2018.1, windows 10 with a GTX 1060. I followed the instructions exactly (used world normal etc). I baked the data from my mesh using substance designer. Unfortunately the folder drag and drop process would not recognise my base image, even though it is saved with the same resolution as all of the other maps (8192x8192). I saved the base color image as a tiff, to preserve the alpha channel in a lossless format the other textures are png.
    I changed the resolution manually in the unity input settings to 8192 and then dragged it into the base texture slot which leads me to the below result when i try to "Compute". how do i get a result with this tool? do i need to use a different unity version?

DelightingFail.png
    Thanks!

10. Matt-Face

Matt-Face

here is another screen grab, where you can see the console output...

Attached Files:

11. Matt-Face

Matt-Face

just an update,
    looks like the system is running out of memory for some reason...
    is this a known bug?

Attached Files:

12. philnolan3dj

philnolan3dj

I haven't seen you're problem but as people noted above there is an issue with it coming out all black in 2018.x . That issue doesn't happen in 2017.x so you might want to use the older version anyway. FYI when I downgraded I had to completely uninstall, as well as deleting any folders related, including ones in this folder.
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Unity Projects\New Unity Project\Assets
    Before installing the 2017.x version

13. Stormy102

Stormy102

Alternatively, you can install 2017.x alongside 2018.x and then use a project there to convert, then export them/copy them into your 2018.x project. All you need to do to install multiple versions is change the installation path.

14. philnolan3dj

philnolan3dj

Huh, I was trying to do just that and didn't see the option. I guess I just missed it.

Stormy102 likes this.
  15. Sugrobski

Sugrobski

Doesn't work for me... The right side of a switcher is pure black. What I'm doing wrong?

Attached Files:

16. Kustuk

Kustuk

broken on 2018.2

17. kazlaaz

kazlaaz

I've also tried with various bakes/settings over the past few days, but all my results have been pure black on the right side. upload_2018-8-29_22-2-16.png

18. SirNW

SirNW

Same issue here, frustrating finally figuring it out and it doesn't work... Funny, I think I only get about 20% of what I work on in Unity to actually work... bad timing every time I guess?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  19. Cyril-Jover

Cyril-Jover

Unity Technologies

Hi SirNW,
    I answer to you and everyone that have the same issue. I'm really sorry about this. It seems that there are incompatibilities with Unity 2018. We have no developer to fix it right now but maybe first quarter 2019.

The tool is working with Unity 5.6 => 2017. If you download one of those version you should be able to use the tool without any problem. Even if the tool was released first on GitHub, today the best way to get the latest version, is to get it from the asset store. In the Asset Store window just search for "De-Lighting Tool".

I highly recommend you (if it isn't already done) to take a look to the tutorial and the documentation (e.g to get the specs for baked maps).

Tutorial:

Doc:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...ightingTool/Documentation/De-LightingTool.pdf

Cheers,

Cyril

SirNW likes this.
  20. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Say, how about to make this tools as a standalone. So people can using it without unity editor? This way you guys doesn't have to update this tools everytime new unity released?

21. Cyril-Jover

Cyril-Jover

Unity Technologies

I understand why it is painful for everyone to have it only in editor. The fact is it was more easy and fast to do it this way. It was also giving the opportunity to people to improve and understand what's under the hood. I think it is not impossible we find the time to do a standalone, but I can't tell when. It is not the last helping tool we want to release, so maybe with the next one ...

Cheers,

22. Cyril-Jover

Cyril-Jover

Unity Technologies

Hi kazlaaz, and all the people that have the black screen problem.
    Everything seems to be fixed since the Unity version 2018.2.19f1.

Let me now if you still got some issues.

Cheers,

Cyril

23. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Is this only for 2018.2.19f1?
    I tried on 2018.3.f2 and I get the same black screen. I also checked the asset store and GitHub to see if there was an update and there isn't. So I'm guessing 2018.2.19f1 is the only recent version supported?

24. Cyril-Jover

Cyril-Jover

Unity Technologies

Hi Kazlaaz,
    It is weird ! Could you send me in PM one of the non-working data ?

Cheers,

Cyril

25. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

I was using 2017.4 LTS, don't remember which increment. That was working fine then I upgrade the project to 2018.3.0f2 after I saw your post.

After the update, it went back to displaying black and the errors showed up as everyone else got when using a version not supported.

upload_2018-12-14_8-46-25.png

26. Flurgle

Flurgle

Is xNormal the best way to generate the required maps? Does anyone know a good way to do it inside Unity?

27. mrtan007

mrtan007

Hi,i am having some issue about delighting tool. There are some problems in unity3D.What should i do?

Attached Files:

28. zbakonyi

zbakonyi

Hello,

There is clearly an issue with 2018.3.0f2. I'm also experiencing the black rendering issue. I also have Unity 5.6.5f1 and in that one the rendering is okay.

Flurgle likes this.
  29. zbakonyi

zbakonyi

I'm generating the maps inside xNormal. We also tried it with Marmoset. With the ones which I tried, I prefer the results coming out from xNormal. The results inside the Delighting tool (Unity...) are better. I did not played that much with the settings, etc. to figure out why...

Flurgle likes this.
  30. mrtan007

mrtan007

Hi,how to get this alpha map?

Attached Files:

31. mrtan007

mrtan007

HI!

How to do the alpha mask ? My result was the black

32. Cyril-Jover

Cyril-Jover

Unity Technologies

Hi Flurgle !
    There is no way to generate these maps in Unity right now. The best tools are: Knald, Substance Designer and xNormal.

Cheers,

Cyril

Flurgle likes this.
  33. Cyril-Jover

Cyril-Jover

Unity Technologies

Hi Kazlaaz,
    Could you send me in PM one of the non-working data ? This way I could reproduce the bug

Cheers,

Cyril

34. Cyril-Jover

Cyril-Jover

Unity Technologies

Hi mrtan007,
    This particular Alpha map is the alpha channel of the Rock01 data sample Base Color texture

2018-12-18_15-17-34.gif

Depending of the baking software, this alpha channel will be automatically generated or it will be handy made. Is it what you ask ?

Cheers,

Cyril

35. Jokermax

Jokermax

!SOLVED!: updating nvidia video driver from 398* to the current one 417.35 solved black output for me
    also:
    watch out for srgb toggle on textures, all textures except color should not be srgb

Hello, i am getting black output in 2018.3.0f2 too with this in console:
    "Property safetyZoneParams in data context is not of a valid UnityEngine.Vector4
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)"
    update: test content(rock) freezes unity

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  36. Cyril-Jover

Cyril-Jover

Unity Technologies

Hi Jokermax !

"!SOLVED!: updating nvidia video driver from 398* to the current one 417.35 solved black output for me"
    => Cool ! Thanks for sharing !

"also: watch out for srgb toggle on textures, all textures except color should not be srgb"
    => Good advice ! don't forget that the easiest way to avoid errors is to use the naming convention _DLBC, DLAO ...
    this way the tool recognize wich type is the texture and import it correctly.

"update: test content(rock) freezes unity"
    => The rock sample doesn't work after nvidia driver update ?

Thanks for your help and for sharing !

Cheers

37. MWhite86

MWhite86

Can you please edit the readmes to make it clear this only works in 2017.4 atm?

38. MWhite86

MWhite86

Switched to 2017.4.18f1 and it's not black, but I'm getting colored squares all over the result. I'm trying to delight a headscan and I've tried reducing the BC's alpha to just the face, using a mask for just the face, rebaking normals and AO. Could there be an issue with uninstalling 2018 and installing 2017? Could it be because I'm using a Radeon GPU?

39. Tarrag

Tarrag

Had this problem also but now works. If it may help anyone, i'm using 2017.4.2 LTS, the problem I had is that in baking in XNormals, I was not baking the object space normals map correctly. It worked when I baked Normal map and untick Tangent space in the Normal map option. Cheers

40. AcroQube

AcroQube

Hi, did you solve your problem? I am having the same one. It is frustrating...And I can't find that anyone else had that problem...

41. benpret24

benpret24

Hi Guys,

I am having the same issue. Only I am using 2017.3.1 and I got it working a few times with other map sets. Only with this last map set I am getting the black map issue.

I have uploaded the maps in question. Can someone please have a look at them and tell me what I am doing wrong.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnxxlnzgmqzx1br/TrunkSet01.zip?dl=0

42. benpret24

benpret24

Nevermind, It turns out that my colour/exposure picker was on an empty spot

43. PendingFox

PendingFox

Why is this tool not being updated again? I'm just curious.

44. zfa07

zfa07

upload_2019-6-26_18-4-27.png upload_2019-6-26_18-4-47.png
    upload_2019-6-26_18-5-21.png
    I don't know where the problem is.-Try again.Please help me.

45. zfa07

zfa07

46. zfa07

zfa07

你解决了这个问题吗?

47. DanMihaila

DanMihaila

Hey!

So I just started using the tool and wanted to plug in an asset to figure out how this works.
    I watched your video and tried to follow along, including the naming convention.
    I also installed Unity 2017.4 since as far as I saw on the forums it was not clear if it works or not past that version.

The issue that I have is that the result is black! I saw that some other users had a similar issues (a few pages back) but didn't see any solution being posted or a cause for the issue.

Is there anything in particular that I can try in order to fix it?
    Are there specific settings on the images that I should double check and make sure they are in order? (barely used Unity several years ago so I don't know my way around that well)
    If needed, I have no problem in making a package and sending it for troubleshooting.

Cheers!
    Dan

Screen with how it looks atm: delighting_error_01.JPG

48. Cyril-Jover

Cyril-Jover

Unity Technologies

Hi Dan,
    Thanks a lot to use the tool !

Your 2 normal maps look a bit strange. The first looks like a tangent space normal map (maybe I’m wrong, I probably need to have a bigger version to evaluate), the second has this overall bluish tint, that’t probably not a good sign (since the object is not a flat plane).
    Normal and Bent Normal maps have to be baked in world space.

Can you tell me how you baked those maps ?

Cheers,

Cyril

49. Cyril-Jover

Cyril-Jover

Unity Technologies

Hi again,
    Btw, I suggest you to create a mask (like in the official tutorial) to exclude the green parts (moss I guess). The results will probably be much better!

Cheers,

Cyril

50. PendingFox

PendingFox

Is there any particular strategical reason why such a great tool isn't being updated for almost 2 years now?