Search Unity

De/Ascend - Futuristic Race Game - Proof of Concept - WIP

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Dayviewer, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Parallel_

Parallel_

Looks great. Only crit would be to have much less text on the cockpit dashboard. I think meters and dials would read better (even if they're not supposed to be used or read by the player).

2. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

Thanks! yes when I got that running in-game I jumped to the same conclusion as well, it's way to distracting haha, will have something more subtle there in the final thing ;)

3. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

Getting into some cheesy promo stuff haha, will post some screenshots later today

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  4. eskovas

eskovas

Looks amazing
    Love the visuals and the gameplay appears to be good (it's hard to judge the gameplay since the videos have very low fps). I will feature this in the Unity Collection very soon and hopefully get more people to see this game :)
    Will you post a video with better fps with night gameplay?

5. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

Thanks man! would definatly appriciate it if you spread the word when it's out ;)
    Yes I will record new videos with better FPS around the time of release ;)

6. eskovas

eskovas

Would you prefer if i featured the game lets say this week, or wait until it's released?

7. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

When the game is released, creates more buzz when a playable version is avaiable I think :D
    Around that time I will also publish pages on media like Steam Greenlight Concepts, IndieDB, etc ;)

8. Safakas

Safakas

This game looks amazing
    I love those cars

9. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

10. GearsGamer90R

GearsGamer90R

Dude this is so awesome!!!

11. tapanui

tapanui

hey dude you still working on this game?

12. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

My programmer is currently finnishing up all the GUI stuff on the main menu, should be done in a week or so, after that I'll do some polishing on the visuals etc and then it'll basically be done ;)
    I will put some more art related screenshots and renders up in the weekend (some properly presented stuff with wireframes etc)

13. tapanui

tapanui

14. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

Getting very close to completion!

15. tapanui

tapanui

Can not wait it looks good i think you will get a high grade from this project

16. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

Thanks dude! funny thing is, were not getting a grade for this lol, it's just to show off your skills and for your portfolio.
    Teachers have been very very excited and positive about this though ;)
    The main reason I choose to put so much effort into this is to (hopefully) be able to land a full time job with this somewhere when I'm done in a few weeks.

17. tapanui

tapanui

lol when u r done would post a web-player?

18. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

There won't be a webplayer since this thing is one scene that's around 244mb haha, it's gonna be a downloadable standalone.
    I hope to have it done by the end of today, but it won't go public untill the end of the month, though I might send some people a private link on here so they can have it more early.
    I'll give a headsup when that is avaiable.

I do note that you will need a pretty beast PC if you want to run this decently though haha.
    There will be some options regarding graphics that will save alot regarding performance but it's still alot to handle, just saying ;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  19. tapanui

tapanui

would not mater i would run it on my custom build PC.

20. runner

runner

Itching to try this game out on the pc ..looks like fun.

21. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

Thanks!

The very last asset i'm quickly making today, a small ship that will have a few of them flying around the island:

Basicly just the car with some deleted elements and some added from other assets, but it works haha :D

22. tapanui

tapanui

23. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

3 of these are now flying around and 1 is hovering at the bridge :D

Alllllmost done!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  24. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

Ok guys, it's done, PM me for a link!

25. miguelvesga

miguelvesga

I want it! :D :D :D :D Looks awesome!
    PM sent. ;)

26. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

Feedback is very much appriciated after you've all played it by the way ;)

Aiming for a public release in about 2 weeks, need to finnish some promo stuff first and get my portfolio updated with the new art.

27. runner

runner

Not so fast ..

I like the slick style and the curvy track but the trouble is i Want too open it up with petal to the metal and go REALLY FASSST so you need a longer track. and of course more tracks.. after first play having trouble visualizing the score system, Give it more spiffy fllashy effect .

28. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

I know man haha, the ''problem'' is that this was a graduation project with a given time of about 4 months, so this was all we could do in the time we were given.
    There is also very little chance we will continue with this with me probably having a full time job working on other games and the other guys going there own way, so this is it ;)

29. NinjaRubberBand

NinjaRubberBand

Awesome game! If you added more levels, and maybe made it online?
    This game would be amazing!
    The controls are good, well everything is great i can't really find any cons exept one.
    When you are going up hill and you turn there is a little bumb that makes you ggo forward and not make you turn
    I don't know how to explain it so i try in some different ways, lol.
    When you drive up the hill and turn to the right, you hit a little bump that makes you drive forward again and hit the wall. That was what happend to me :)!
    Great game, best game i played which was made in unity!

30. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

Thanks man glad you like it! :D
    Yea I know exactly what you mean haha, part of the handling and the track mesh is to blame right there, that would have been one of the things we would have fixed if we had more time ;)
    You can take that corner nicely if you brake enough at first and then take it a bit wide though ;)

31. taichiu727

taichiu727

Pm sent. LOoks Greeeaattt! :)

32. taichiu727

taichiu727

hi, i have tested your game and i think it would be better fix the following:

Car would stop when you bump onto the wall even if only tiny bits of surfaces were touched.

I think the car accerlerates too much or something idk :p it is kind of hard to control. Maybe to me only :p

But overall, this is really impressing!

EDIT:

Oh yeah and also, make the roads longer so i can enjoy more :)

33. Korda

Korda

Hi Guys,
    Just tried your demo and think you have done a really good job! Now for the criticism:

Car handling - your car doesn't feel like it has any suspension which would explain why you lose control when you go over bumps.

Wall collisions - Your car stops as soon as it hits a wall. I had a similar problem with a prototype I was making and was able to fix it by simply adding an Ice physics material to the collision object maybe also try the smooth sphere collision and concave check boxes.

Having the camera looking away from the track when you start and then snapping to the drivers perspective when the race starts is jarring. It would be better if it smoothly rotates to the correct position before the race starts.

I found it weird that there was no driver in the car.

For the speed your travelling at the tracks seem a bit short.

If you do plan on working on this more I would love to see those things addressed. As it stands though I think you have yourselves a fabulous folio piece.

-Matt

34. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Please tell me those models of the spectator seats have ambient occlusion and normals baked from a high poly map onto a low poly detail? xD Otherwise... :p But great work man keep it up!

35. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

Thanks guys! yes we are aware of everything mentioned in your crit ;)
    Those were all things that would have been adressed if we had more time avaiable and also had more experience, definatly in the coding department.
    Glad you are all liking the overall product though :D

The spectator seats only have very basic normal mapping, I looked into more options but that wasn't really possible with the way I mapped everything and the set of shaders I was working with, long story haha.

36. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

Proper trailer is online:

37. Pulov

Pulov

The stuff in the video looks reeeally good.

The only things I did not like are.

The chassing camera. dunno what its exactly but mmm there is something cheap in it. I might follow somehow the car or in curves have some kind of weight so it banks.. dunno exactly what it is.

Amm you could try adding some light trails a bit like in wipeout to see how it feels... >>_>

But hey, It looks great

38. Deleted User

Deleted User

Looking nice

39. vinzzzunity

vinzzzunity

i see the graphics quality is insane! you changed the quality settings! cool! 3 days left right?

40. vinzzzunity

vinzzzunity

Unity should checkout this and promote the game!:D

41. vinzzzunity

vinzzzunity

the game rocks!
    i love every parts and aspects of the game, except none of them.
    the cleanest game i've ever played, and the icon's gorgeous.
    i got constant 119 fps, however i still could use a tool that limits the game fps to playable 60 fps.
    show your finished unity work!

42. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Hahaha yeah no fair enough. Looks great though man!!!! I'm getting a lot of inspiration from this alone :) Keep up the solid work!

43. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

Ah! thought I'd give a little update.
    The exposition went great, had my own little booth, picture time!

People really loved it and some just kept on playing, really had a blast!
    Also had great feedback from some industry folks, an ex-Guerilla Games lead artist liked it alot as well so I guess i've really done good :D
    Oh and allthough this project didn't count on anything I did graduate last week as well ;) will start job hunting tommorow!

I'll be releasing this properly on wednesday through IndieDB and a few other sites/blogs are going to put articles/interviews up too which is awesome, if any of you also have a website/blog or know someone who is interested in putting this up PM me!

44. taichiu727

taichiu727

45. miguelvesga

miguelvesga

Awesome! Now that I got a nice PC, I can finally play the game!

46. gaiasgrace

gaiasgrace

Nice little booth! What kind of job will you be looking for?

47. c-Row

c-Row

Is it too late to send a PM now that the "official" release is just around the corner? :)

48. Dayviewer

Dayviewer

Thanks! I'll be looking to get a full time job as a 3D artist ;)

Yes haha, it's currently awaiting authorization on IndieDB so it can be online any moment now.

When it goes live I will obviously post a new thread in the Showcase section with a download link, I was also recently interviewed on a website and De/Ascend was reviewed by a site on Youtube so those will ofcourse be posted there as well ;)
    Post is already written and formatted, only thing I need is IndieDB to authorize the download, which can't come quick enough haha, should have uploaded it earlier :/

Edit: aaand here we go, it's out! http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/181367-De-Ascend-A-Futuristic-Racing-Game-(Proof-of-Concept)

Last edited: May 8, 2013