Search Unity

DCG Water Pro

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by deadlycrow, Dec 14, 2018.

1. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

Easy to set-up new water solution!

Assetstore link:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/134356

We took everything we learned of all of our previous water related assets and we made from scratchs this new asset, which contains all the past features and more, it is more optimized and user friendly than the previous packages. The past assets are deprecated now, but you can upgrade easily to this new complete refined water solution from DeadlyCrow Games.

Almost all of the shaders in this asset where made in "Amplify Shader Editor" (ASE), so you can customize them with nodes to find the right spot & configuration that you need for your specific project if you own ASE.

Features:

Realtime mesh deformation (C# Job system)

With this new feature of unity we created a system where you can deform your mesh in realtime by code using "Water profiles", as you can see in the gif. This is very useful if you want to use another feature of the asset: Floating objects.

Buoyancy

You can easily setup buoyancy objects just by adding the "Buoyancy.cs" script to an object, though it must have a rigidbody component and a collider. Also you can control the density of the object, aswell as the magnitude of the force to apply and the sleep thresold that the calculations are executed. Keep in mind that the calculations are made taking in account the vertex position of the water mesh, so to use this feature you need to deform the mesh by code, with the previous feature.

Water profiles (Scriptable Objects)

It is really easy to change the look and behaviour of your water volumes, just by changing its water profile and pressing "update settings". The water profile is a scriptable object that contains all the information needed: The material to apply, a backface material (to use when you are underwater) and of course all the information about the mesh deformation.
    In the gif you can see how easy is to swap from a realistic looking water, to a lowpoly looking one.

Under water

The under water effect contains a deformation of the image, chromatic aberration, depth fog and light scattering. All the settings related to the under water effect are highly customizable.

Wet lens

Once you get out of the water a wet lens effect is enabled. This effect consist of flowing water drops in the screen while some of them stays in place, exactly as it happens in reality.

Water Caustics

Improved caustics projection. The new shader uses a caustic animation sheet image so you don't have to worry anymore of dealing with multiple images and coding to make it work, now it is easy to use and you just have to input a image sheet of caustics. The asset comes with two images, the one you see in the gif and another one with sharper caustics.

Editor Gizmos

In this new asset the water is generated at the beginningof the game, so you don't have to struggle with excesive geometry in the editor when you are working in your scenes, so for this matter we created a system where you can control the different settings of the water and be able to see the water volume and how the settings affect take effect. Keep in mind to always press update settings to transfer all the parameters to apply all the changes.

Tileable water volumes

Since all of the calculations (Shader and realtime mesh deformation by code) are made in world space coordinates you can stack water volumes side by side and the water will look seamless. This is very useful for optimization purposes and you can even make an infinite ocean enabling and disabling water volumes as you go. In the gif you can see how 4 different water volumes are looking just like one massive water area.

Platforms:

All the shaders are intended to work on several rendering platforms :

Though we don't recommend you to use planar reflections or high vertex density values or even buoyancy if you are developing a mobile game, why? because those features/settings requires a performance demang that is too much in some cases for mobile games. In another words, your game could potentially lose too much FPS to be enjoyable to play.

Keep in mind that this asset is
    Mobile friendly but you have to mind the performance effort of the devices.

Fur furthermore questions assistance and to get in touch, please don't forget to check out our social media pages:

https://www.facebook.com/deadlycrow.games/

https://twitter.com/DeadlyCrowGames

(We are currently working on our webpage)

And our email for any purpose, want to say hi? any advice or problem? here:

Deadlykrow@gmail.com

Please ask anything and i will gladly help you :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Mauri likes this.
  2. Mark_01

Mark_01

Has this been tested in VR ? I read through the reviews and saw one asking about that ? Thanks

3. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Looks great. Can I use this water for an infinite ocean? And any chance to see integrated bow and stern waves for watecrafts?

4. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

We are doing the required testings!, i'll let you know asap :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  5. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

Well, you can achieve the effect of endless ocean by creating a pooling or reusable system of water volumes, its not a hard thing to do (currently we haven't included that in the asset, so now its on the to-do list :) ) and yes, we are already planning the next update, so we will include that kind of deformation and more.

Mark_01 and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  6. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Wow, that sounds great. So think I need to buy this water asset. ;)

deadlycrow likes this.
  7. Migueljb

Migueljb

When you find out about VR also please look into mobile VR as well. Desktop vr and mobile vr 2 different platforms to look into as well.

deadlycrow likes this.
  8. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

Hey, VR works fine (keep in mind the technical limitations), Realistic water worked around 50-60 FPS, while the lowpoly worked >90 FPS, still you need to make a few tweaks to make it look good. As i always say, keep in mind the device specs and it will work according to that. If you are planning to use it in mobile i wouldn't recommend to use planar reflections and heavy physics (buoyancy). We haven't tested on mobile yet, but i assume it will lose a few more FPS since mobile devices aren't as performant as desktop devices.

Mark_01 likes this.
  9. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

Great, thank you!

10. Leoo

Leoo

Hey, it certenly looks great!, i've got two questions for ya:

1. Does it write correctly to the depth buffer? (to make a seamless horizon with let's say any atmos. fog?)
    2. Do you include a script to apply the underwater effect when detected to be inside a water volume?

Thank you!

11. norby

norby

This is really a great looking water system
    I will keep an eye on this asset for sure
    Good work

12. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Is there an option to make the Inspector look like a standard Unity Inspector? I'm not a fan of assets that steal precious space and add distracting logos and colors to the editor UI.

The water looks really nice.

Mark_01 and Rowlan like this.
  13. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

Hi ! well it depends, it works well with the fog, but for example, there are some "volumetric lighting" assets which doesn't seem to work well at all with the shaders, they are rendered between clip and transparent queue, and yet like i said, some of those assets fail to correctly render the water and apply the "fog" over it.

14. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

Hi :D, well, maybe if you delete the images? that could work.

15. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

Thank you!, in what kind of project are you working at :) ?

16. norby

norby

Hi Deadlycrow
    I am looking more for an ocean solution. big wave with foam.
    But your shader is looking very good.

17. Lesnikus5

Lesnikus5

Hello! The functional looks very interesting! I especially like the idea of a seamless ocean made up of individual tiles. I have been looking for this opportunity for a long time. Are you going to publish a demo? Preferably, standalone (Windows). I would be interested to test the water myself.

18. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

Thanks! We are working on a more "beautiful" demo and also adding new features and improving the current ones.

Lesnikus5, Mark_01 and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  19. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

After extensive testing i have to say that i like the water very much. it would be nice if the underwater effects would get a blur effect. the infinitie ocean function would also be nice to see in the next update.

The Buoyancy script is not very good. even in the demo scene the ships tip over after a few seconds and start to slip strangely.
    The custom inspector doesn't bother me personally with his big logo, you can fold it in. but what bothers me is that the water depth is limited to 100. please remove the limitation here.

otherwise i'm satisfied. it's nice that the shader was built with amplify so you can make your own adjustments to the shading.
    I am excited what the next update will deliver.

20. In-Images

In-Images

Water on Pc is great. But when i switch to Android water is black. You wrote that this water is mobile friendly. I run on unity 2018.3.3.

21. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

Thanks! Well the buoyancy has always been a tricky thing to do, weirdly i also notice that when i download the package from the asset store the ships start acting very weird... Something that did not happened when i uploaded the asset... Very strange indeed... The "old" way of doing the buoyancy was using physics, meshcollider to be exactly, and as you can imagine it was really a performance eater thing to do. I'm still doing testing to find out the most performance fiendly yet accurate buoyancy effect. Thanks for your overall feedback :) !

Mark_01 likes this.
  22. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

Hi, well like i said it is "friendly" but it is not made with the purpose of work seamless in mobile, which means you will have to tweak certain things to make it work, even in the project. Maybe if you reach to me through email or facebook we can discuss in further detail how to make it work properly :)

23. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

Looks pretty nice. Does it support realtime reflections? Or have compatibility with screen space reflections from the Unity Post Processing Stack?

24. iddqd

iddqd

Looks great

25. E3DChengLin

E3DChengLin

Currently supporting HDRP? I did not see the description on the Asset Store. I use the default pipeline and everything works fine. Switching to HDRP starts to report an error and cannot preview Demo scene properly

26. ml785

ml785

Is there a way to still obtain this asset? It looks really nice!
    Thank you. (I emailed as well)