Search Unity

DCDrift : A Rally Game Concept

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Dennis_eA, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Hi folks!

I would like to have some c&c so far for my (early!) game prototype.
    Everything in there is work in progress, especially the graphics, but there are some key features somehow 'beta-ready' right now:

- I've written a script that procedurally / randomly generates a track while playing with given pre-made track-parts.
    This (let's give it a name for now) generator-script 'waits' for the player to build the track and also deletes parts the player has passed already after some time (distance).

- Some weeks ago I started on my racing / drifting physics. My target was, to create a nice and smooth 'casual drifting experience'. I've figured out some tricks to let the car drift nicely without getting unexpected behaviors at any time.
    Please let me know if you like the handling of the car and if you have c&c! I would really appreciate this!

I know, when hitting the (yet invisible) wall there IS actually unexpected behavior, I have to fix this.
    But I really would like to know, if you manage to drift down the road without hitting it..

- And last but not least there is basic a basic A.I. script.. it's very basic right now, but I just left it in, you know.. it's somehow more entertaining that way hehe :D

I really appreciate your help and *playtesting*!Thanks!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Controls : Arrow Keys :arrow:
    Link V1 : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59313410/DCD2/DCD2.html

Link V2 : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59313410/DCD3/DCD3.html

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. Fishermen

Fishermen

this is pretty sweet.
    the controls are smooth and the drifting works pretty well.
    the only problem i have with this game is that when i hit the side of the road while i'm drifting i get stopped annoyingly fast. and that happens pretty often.
    hope that will be fixed later on.

3. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

hey, thanks for your kind words:)
    Yes definitely that will be changed. Collision with the side of the Track or even an AI car is quite awful right now. But I'm glad you like the physics :) cheers

4. TBYG

TBYG

Very smooth physics. I actually like the fact that there is such a steep penalty for collision.

Two suggestions. The AI seems pretty good. Maybe dumb it down a bit. And the trail renderer (i assume that's what your using) are showing very slightly even when your not drifting.

Otherwise, very good start. I like it, a lot!

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Cool! I like the auto-generated track idea, too. To me, one of the funnest parts of drifting is counter-steering, which seems to be missing in your game.. at least as I knew how to play it. Controllable counter-steering is very hard to achieve in a keyboard controlled car, but if you can figure it out it would be awesome!

6. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Yes ATM there are two trail renderers attached to each car. By now it's a bug you've discovered there.. but I think I can use this and turn it into a feature. cause it looks like the trails tires make when driving on a wet surface :)

counter steering is fun. drifting is fun. (I got some tickets for doing this in real life hehehe). But it can be a bit annoying and too hard to control when playing with the arrow keys. I will work on this though.

I have to play around with all my stiffness-variables and I also want to make it possible to set up different cars and also different road surfaces easily. I also could bring my physics to the asset store at some point, but not sure about that :)

7. nullstar

nullstar

I like it, this could be a really fun game. I have a couple of small suggestions if you're interested. Firstly the car seems to oscillate slightly when you stop conering and ends up pointing slighty in the opposite direction to the corner you just took which doesn't really feel right. Also the effect that releasing the accelerator or pressing the brake has on your turning circle seems a little excessive. I think it would be nice to tone down that effect slightly so that long drifts can be controlled more easily by feathering / modulating the throttle.

8. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

okay, thanks a lot! I am going to rework/rewrite my physics script anyway. By now I just wanted to check if different people could control the car without being really frustrated about something.. But this shows me that my basic idea behind the physics just works :)

I will have to think about the game design.. And if I want to do pure rally stuff or pursuits, I have to decide on that

/edit/: anyway.. I just added 'V2' .. I tried to make it a bit better, based on your suggestions so far :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  9. omarzonex

omarzonex

very nice drifting

10. gunga

gunga

I like this, reminds me of Neo Driftout on the Neogeo. You should sell your track script, i could do with one for an outrun type game. :cool:

11. Roylen

Roylen

Hey Dennis,
    Really liked the physics (reminds me of GTA Chinatown). Though i found out the car turns unrealistically while reversing.
    By the way, did you use wheel colliders for the cars??

12. pezz

pezz

Good job. lol I had fun drifting.