Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Daydream Textures issues Unity > 5.6.0b11

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by cvasquez-coiron, May 19, 2017.

1. cvasquez-coiron

cvasquez-coiron

Developing for Daydream on Unity 5.6.0b11 works fine.

BUT, on any newer Unity build we get very weird behaviors on some textures, when moving/rotation the vr headset. This started happening with Unity 5.6.0f3. Today tested with Unity 5.6.1.f1, same thing.

Please take a look at this video:

In Editor looks fine, but when we run in Android phone the Some textures are messed up!!
    How can we fix it? Please check the attached images.

sskenth likes this.
  2. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Try changing your Daydream depth buffer from 16 to 32 bits.

3. cvasquez-coiron

cvasquez-coiron

Hello Joejo,
    Do you mean Virtual Reality SDKs -> Daydream -> Depth Format ?
    I see only the following options:

- 16-bit depth
    - 24-bit depth
    - 24-bit depth / 8-bit stencil

Or you mean in the Resolution and Presentation tab:
    - Use 32-bit Didsplay Buffer
    - Disable Depth and Stencil

Thank you!

Screenshot_1.jpg Screenshot_2.jpg

4. pfreema1

pfreema1

@joejo Do you know what the performance implications are for changing the depth buffer? Also, to OP, I've been having a similar issue and modifying the near and far clipping planes has helped a bit.

5. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

@cvasquez-coiron 24 & 24+8 under Virtual Reality SDKs -> Daydream -> Depth Format.

@pfreema1 I have no specifics on performance one way or the other right now.

6. sskenth

sskenth

I had the same issue when recently upgraded. I really tried to avoid the upgrade since it looked and ran perfectly for me on 5.6.0f1
    Unfortunately I can't fully submit to Daydream store on that version since 5.6.0f1 has a bug where the app would not does not close in the way that is desired in the daydream submission.
    Although this "close game" bug is fixed in the 5.6.3f1 version I'm using, I have noticed a drop in fps now compared to the older version, its a real shame since that one worked better except for that 1 bug.
    If anyone knows of a way where I could use 5.6.0f1 but still fix that "close bug" or improve some the fps on 5.6.3f1 I'd love to know.

Thanks

7. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

sskenth

I thought there was a script workaround for that? In the original 'Daydream Elements' they had a script called QuitOnCloseButton, and I think that was published using 5.6.x

sskenth likes this.
  8. sskenth

sskenth

If I understood correctly that code doesn't quite work until you get to unity 5.6.0f3 (i was f1).
    Previous versions may quit the application to the 3D menu. But to pass the submission the requirement is a back button press that takes you to the 2D screen. Unity referred to the fix in their docs so I dont think the elements workaround works until the correct unity version is used. Theres a helpful Q&A here. I was hoping there was another hack I could use like changing some unity hidden files or something. But I'll have to upgrade.
    Thank you for the reply though, at least I know theres no way around it.

9. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

Ohh I see. Well, if it helps I have done some FPS testing of the 2017.x versions. 2017.2 is extremely fast, 2017.3 slower (but still faster than 5.6.x), however both 2017's have an issue with the controller which will prevent acceptance on the Daydream store so they are of limited use.

Unity support told me that this particular issue is not present on 2017.1.1p4, so if you were daring you could try that version to see if it gives you better FPS than 5.6.3.

10. sskenth

sskenth

Thanks @jmitcheson thats interesting to know you've tested those versions. its such a shame there isnt some way to easliy check which version is best for DD development.
    Have you also noticed anything in regards to the GVR version? I know 1.7 is out, but I heard someone say 1.4 was pretty good. Is there a particular version you're using that you'd recommend performance wise?

11. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

I've only ever used 1.6. I'm not using 1.7 yet but the release notes say they have made the controller more performant. I know they fixed the GC allocations, and also ditched the transparency in the model so it would definitely be better.

sskenth likes this.
  12. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

Hey I noticed one thing just now which I thought I should share: If you use 1.6 and 2017.x then, for some reason, the performance with 'Development Build' is absolutely terrible (like, half your normal framerate). But, it's fine once you disable it. So if you do that, don't panic. I assume 1.7 doesn't have the issue because most of the extra time was being spend in 'Transparent Geometry'

sskenth likes this.
  13. sskenth

sskenth

Ah great stuff, I might try some 2017 versions now since I need to draw out some more for performance. Looks like I'll have to update GVR too.
    Thanks for the info, very valuable

14. sskenth

sskenth

hmm looks like they've just released another new version. but they've called it 1.1 maybe a typo.
    https://github.com/googlevr/gvr-unity-sdk/releases

jmitcheson likes this.
  15. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

Ooo, thanks for pointing that out. Didn't notice. I guess they are changing the version numbering system, maybe? So many API changes. A little OT but I saw the video in those release notes for the standalone headsets.. can't wait :D

sskenth likes this.