Search Unity

Daydream rendering issue with Skinned Mesh Renderer.

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by Imbazephyr, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Imbazephyr

Imbazephyr

Hi all,

This is a strange issue I'm running into. I have a model which uses the skinned mesh renderer component, which seems to cause some seizure-inducing flashing when built and deployed onto the Mirage Solo headset.

I have conducted some testing on my own behalf:
    1. I have built the exact same project onto a Oculus Go, and this issue is not present.
    2. I have replaced the skinned mesh renderer component with mesh filter + mesh renderer, and they seem to work fine on daydream as well.

I'm developing on Mac, and my Unity version is 2018.3.1f1.
    I have attached some screenshots:
    This is what my game looks like in the editor compare to how it looks in the headset
    Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 11.09.13 PM.png troubleshoot.JPG

Here is a screenshot for my skinned mesh renderer component:
    Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 11.18.42 PM.png
    If anyone else has encountered this, please feel free to share some thoughts.

Thank you.

2. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

Could it be the same issue as detailed in my thread here? If so, the bug was reported and reproduced by Unity.

In the meantime I found that it’s possible to change to an earlier Unity version if no other issues prevent it. Or, you can implement custom skinning, e.g. search for “DualQuaternionSkinning for Unity” online. We actually used said community code to work around our issues.

3. Noa3

Noa3

on my project it helped to set multithreaded rendering, gpu skinning and lightmap streaming off, in xr setting sat the stero rendering to Multi Pass.

on this moment the performance goes down but i didnt get the flickering for the moment.

4. RamosGameDevs

RamosGameDevs

Xarbrough I don't know if you will be a believer or an atheist but God bless you brother xD I was fighting a month with the same problem and your solution was the only one that worked for me!

5. Imbazephyr

Imbazephyr

Hi All,

With some experimentation overtime, I'd like to share some of our findings.

In general this happens when there are too many things happen in the scene, which cause the device to drop material at runtime. The only way to prevent/reduce the amount of times this happens is by reducing batch count (or at least, a smaller batch count is correlated with less flashing).

For a general guideline, try to keep batch count under 100 at all times.

Hope this helps.